Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ID for Dragster engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Downs, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I just saw this on the 'Vintage shots' thread, A quick glance and I thought Lincoln but I don't think so.

Look at the heads, intake ports and valve covers - the intake ports especially
    Wild guess - Hispano-Suiza V-8 aircraft engine from the early '20s?

[​IMG]

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

At first i thought it was a B block MoPar. Then I thought it was some engine from Ozz or something. Rolls? Kind of doubt it's a Hisso. Guess i just don't know.

3. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

HS had a really tall deck. It is a curiosity though.

4. Rich....thinking the same.....the top of the heads/valve covers look mopar.....but are wider at the base and that water pump housing isn't close....

5. Andy

Andy

Not a Hisso. They were overhead cam engines. It has siamesed intake ports. So a kind of a truck engine? Packard?

6. squirrel

squirrel

looks like a big Mopar to me. The 413 industrial engines had a water port on the front of the head like that.

7. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

There's a Packard thread and there's definitely some similarities.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

img66.JPG Nope. Not a packard. looks like it only has 4 intake ports. And looks heavy. truck engine? Roline? No, not the Roline i am used to.

9. squirrel

squirrel

look at the front of this head. I know, the viewing angle is wrong, but still....

[​IMG]

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I guess i don't recognize B block MoPars. I have had 2 of them. A 66 361 and a early RB 383. "64? Both in the cars they came in and a long time ago. It just seems like there is so much room between the top of the intakes and the valve cover. But i have to take your word.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Don't take my word for it...but it sure looks like a B engine. The valve cover shape is unique, the distributor is in the right place, and the front of the head looks right if it has the industrial heads on it.

here's another better view The heads do look pretty tall on this old motorhome engine.

ramcharger064.jpg

[​IMG] ramcharger064.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. I think the Squirrel is onto something again. ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. rooman

rooman

It is a big block Chrysler, initially a 361 if my memory is correct. The car was built, owned and driven by noted Aussie cam grinder Eddie Thomas. It was not until the very late 60's that Chrysler put the big block into passenger cars in Australia but the 361 was available in the locally produced Dodge trucks. It later had probably the first 426 Hemi in Australia. The hemi started out with the Potvin style blower package but later had a conventional top mount deal. It may have been the only front blown deal to run a bug catcher as well.

[​IMG]

Roo

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When it comes to engine ID, I am going to take Jim's word pretty much every time. But yes i did think the valve covers and distributor location looked like a MoPar B motor. But the intake face on the head kind of threw me.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Quite understandable...the heads are not typical big block Mopar heads.

16. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of a Ford 477" or 534"

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  17. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Not much in common with a Ford Super Duty. That and a 534 would have about the worst power to weight ratio imaginable for a dragster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree , other than they are both a hellava big ol' lump of cast iron!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  19. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

Those look like Chrysler Industrial engine heads that came in things like dump trucks, water pumps, etc
    The normal passenger car style head was replaced with those honkers--toss them and std head fits right back on there--can't think of a more unusual engine to try and race--guess you run what ya got--those heads weighed a ton --we used to buy those engines cheapo and toss that top end --we would wind up with a beautiful steel crank bottom end , pop a set of 906 or 452 heads on and away we went.