Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID Artillery Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike hamel, Feb 14, 2009.

1. mike hamel

mike hamel

OMG! That is my dream right there. I think I would rather get a barn find full of wheels then a lot of other stuff. Looks like you hit the jackpot but I only see 1935 Chevy standard 17" 5x4.25 artillery wheels in there. I see a few 1940's 16" Ford steel wheels. Lots of 1950" 15" wheels. If you spread them out and take some more pictures, I can be your wheel guide. There is not a guide out there. Just knowledge and experience is what you need to know. Iv been at it for awhile and I would be glad to help. Thanks again!

2. kgriff

kgriff
    from CA

Thanks Mike, I thought it a little strange being a 14.

3. RF

RF

Hey Mike--didn't mean to leave you hanging. Still got the green light for the article...just trying put an end to a never-ending game of ketchup. Was going to e-mail, but stumbled across this and figured I'd take advantage of the op.

Anyway, NOT to step on your knowledgable toes, but there sort of "is" a guide, which I have a copy of. It was published by Wheel & Rim Sales Co. in 1941. I'll take a quickie pic in a bit and post it. The reference guide/catalog is pretty cool, but it's more info (specific model fitment/specs et) than visual, though it does contain some visual aids.

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

I think everyone would like to take a look at that. I know I would.

5. canucktruck

canucktruck

Have a set of artillery wheels, the odd Chev pattern of 5 holes on 4 1/4 inch bolt circle (yes thats right). I was wondering if anyone knew what caps fit these wheels?

6. Dougsclassic

Dougsclassic
    from Washington

I have a set of 8-1/4" caps. Don't know if that is what you need or what. I'm curious what Chevy had that bolt pattern. All the old stuff that I know of in the 30's, had six lug. I see people mentioning 5 lug pattern for Chevy and I'm still confused about that. I am currently restoring a set of nine spoke Cleve Welds or otherwise known as General Jumbos or sometimes called artillery wheels, for my 1937 Chevy Pickup Truck. I have a set of 15x5-1/2" artillery wheels on it now, including the spare with the carrier under the truck, which I will want to change back to standard size to accommodate a standard size 16" spare.

Attached Files:

7. az/willis

az/willis

what are these wheels. my frend said they are artillery wheels with 5 on 4x3/4 bolt. he wants 600 for the set with tires would that be over priced?

8. az/willis

az/willis

forgot the pic

Attached Files:

9. mike hamel

mike hamel

Lets bring this thread back up!

NOO I would not recommend buying those wheels. I cant even ID them because they look very new to me. I dont think they are anything from the 30's-40's. $600 seems very high for those wheels.

10. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Theres an artillery wheel on a 62 or 63 Chevy 1/2 ton in the pull-a-part that is very rusty. I thought about getting it so it won't get crushed. There is also a 41 or 42 Hudson 4 door that was just pulled in. It is stripped of all its chrome,grille,trunk lid,bumpers and rear fenders. Engine is still in it.Paint is very good. I think may have been someones abandoned project and the parts were disposed of long ago. It is very solid. I couldn't get to it to open the doors because it was crowded between two other cars. The inventory sticker on it says 46 chevy.They will not sell cars. I've tried to buy a 65 f-100.

11. az/willis

az/willis

thanks. i went to look at them and they are 5 on 5 anyways so they wont work for me.

12. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Makes me want to blow some sht up!!

13. Dougsclassic

Dougsclassic
    from Washington

I have some artillery wheels general referred to as General Jumbo. I am restoring a set for my Chevy which are the 9 spoke 16" that General Tire used. I have a couple 16" Cleveland Welding Wheels that BF Goodrich used for their line of tires. These were the 11 spoke. You can see and example of both versions of the Cleveland Welding Wheels on my site. I would like to come up with 2 or 3 more of the 11 spoke Chevy wheels for my 1937 Chevy PU. Any help on that would be appreciated.

14. I have four of these. 16" x 4 -3/4". 5.5" Ford bolt pattern. Nice curvy hollow cast spider spokes, not flat like others i,ve seen. They are also CLARK and on the inside a Firestone stamp with P-9-33.These have a chrome centre under the dirty red paint. So were they an aftermarket luxury wheel or specific to one make ? It would be interesting to know how MYLLE has four that finished up in Sweden and my four here in the Netherlands.

Attached Files:

15. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

looking for 33 willys wheels anyone llet me know
    thanks Brian

16. Clark

Clark

34 gaz....They would be an aftermarket wheel. Either known as Clark wheels or Firestone wheels.

The tire companies where pushing 16 inch wheels with a taller sidewall tire to car owners with the tall wheels...like model A's and 32's.

Most of the Clark wheels had a split rim. Your's are pretty cool. For the obvious reason i'd love to have a set of them.
    Clark

17. Looks like the French were into chrome wheels as well in the mid '30s. Found these two Renault pics with google.

Attached Files:

18. mike hamel

mike hamel

Let's bring this back up!

19. desertdroog

desertdroog

16 x 4.5 with a 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern, 7 inch hub diameter. Picked them up at the LARS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. Eclectic 2009

Eclectic 2009

This is a very long shot, but, can anyone help me find a set of Hudson, 5 stud, Terraplane, 1936 or so, wire wheels?

21. desertdroog

desertdroog

Are mine Plymouth? Also, I think I read in this thread that I can use 7 inch chevy/any brand caps with a bit of modification for the centers?

22. mike hamel

mike hamel

Those are mid to late 1930's Plymouth artillery wheels. You are right about the hubcaps too. I have the wheels, just have never experimented with hubcaps yet.

23. mike hamel

mike hamel

I do not believe that Hudsons ever came with a 5 lug pattern. Although I will double check in the morning. Ill let you know for sure!

24. desertdroog

desertdroog

25. mike hamel

mike hamel

Sorry for the delay! Those look like very nice wheels. Any plans for what you might put them on? BTW do you need any more of that wheel? I have some...

26. desertdroog

desertdroog

I plan to put these on my 30 A Coupe. I was going to originally run some steelies, but I couldn't pass these up for the price. And looked very straight to the naked eye. I haven't done a test on them to see if they are warped but they look very clean after 80+ years, surface rust notwithstanding.

Even though I have the wide five lincoln drums and hubs, I plan to have them redrilled. Now I am trying to decide if I am going to powder coat them black or something like a Copper or Dark Maroon/Oxblood.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  27. Squablow

Squablow

I got a whole mess of artillery wheels recently and I could use some expertise to figure out what is what.

First off I've got these blue ones. They're 6 lug, the centers are cast. Are these General Jumbo's or Airwheels? They look to be that type. The one cap doesn't say anything on it so that's no help.

[​IMG]

Then I've got some Mopar ones. Here's a pic of a good ol' 36 Plymouth wheel, these I'm very familiar with.

[​IMG]

Then I have this one, which looks real similar, but has a 5 on 5 pattern, different hub cap retainers, and no holes for the alignment pin. Imperial maybe?

[​IMG]

This one also looks like a '36 Plymouth wheel, but it has more/smaller holes. Not sure on this one.

[​IMG]

I also got these, pretty sure they're 17" '35 Dodge wheels. These I recognized right away.

[​IMG]

Then I have these two. I think they are also Mopar, they both have the 4 1/2" pattern. But they have different hubcap retainers again, and one has smaller lug stud holes than the other. Are they just slightly different versions of the same wheel, or?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. American Metrics

American Metrics

The last two wheels are the same ones I have. I would really like to know what they came off of so I could find some caps that fit them.

29. Weasel

Weasel

The bottom two wheels are Dodge/Plymouth. The bottom one with the clips is a Budd Mfg. wheel - also used by Hupmobile. The other with the ring for the hubcap may be a Kelsey Hayes - but I'm no expert - perhaps Mike can chip in here again?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  30. Starting in 1937, all Hudson and Terraplane cars and trucks are 5-bolt pattern wheels on a 4.5" circle.