Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID Artillery Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike hamel, Feb 14, 2009.

1. 416Ford

416Ford

No such luck on the pair. I did pick up a 35 Ford wire wheel for $5 the same day thou. The Dodge wheel does not fit my 47 Dodge truck so it will get traded away if someone needs it.

2. hershambob

hershambob

i just got this panel,sellar says the wheels are 17",i presume 6 stud
    [​IMG]

3. mike hamel

mike hamel

Yes that is correct, 6 lug 17" chevy standard wheel. That is a stock wheel on 1930's chevy cars/trucks. Rather then the optional artillery wheel like all the other manufacture's made. The panel looks great with the artillery chevy 6 lugs on them!

4. xmacx

xmacx
    from illinois

since you have so many would you be interested in selling any?

5. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Hi, I'm not sure what these are but they are 16 inch w/ 5 on 5 1/2 but it looks like the center has been machined out and a ford lug pattern welded from the front and back. They have their original pinstriping and hub caps. I have a set of 4 w/ tires and the guy I bought them off of said he bought them this way at a swapmeet in 1964. Thanks, Joe www.powerandnoise.com

Attached Files:

6. the 4 lug does look like an early Willis 77...think Nash/Rambler/Willis were hooked up at the time...

7. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hi Joe! Yes thats easy. That is a 16" General Jumbo wheel that is made by Cleve-Weld for chevys and fords back in the day. The wheels could have been a 6 lug wheel that was converted into a 5 lug. That 5 lug pattern is one that is used in like a kelsey hayes 5 lug pattern. The regular 5 lug is one like is shown. A little different!

8. samsonized

samsonized

looking for a set of general jumbo 16 inch wheels any body know of any

9. troylee

troylee

Anyone have a pic of a General Jumbo / Cleveland weld hub cap? Also is there a ford cap that will fit? I just put together a set of 14" for My 33 Ford pickup. Thanks

10. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

i have a 36 terraplane w/stock wheels.they are 5,FIVE lug,or should say five BOLT hubs and wheels

11. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hi, No, a regular say 1940 Ford hubcap will not fit, the hole size in the general jumbo wheels are about 8" across, the 40 Ford hub cap hole is just under 8". Here is a picture posted of what a hub cap looks like.

Attached Files:

12. troylee

troylee

Thanks. I saw that cap in the earler post. I did not know what I was lookin atJ just one flavor? I guess I have 4 more things on my list to look for.

13. Clark

Clark

Not 100 percent sure but I think the Jumbo hubcap fits a 7" hole or maybe 7 1/8". I was on a hunt for the caps in the picture at Hershey. They are the same as the Clark wheels. All of the Jumbo's I have seen looke like what's in the picture but they have a crest in the middle. There was 2 at Hershey with the crest but I'm holding out for the ones without.
    Clark

14. If the wheels most talked about and pictured on the first four pages of this thread and attached again here are a 4" bolt circle, they are 1935 Hudson and Terraplane in my opinion. Its difficult to tell the stamping of that wheel with some surface rust and no clean up - would help if it were sanded to tell how it is shaped. In 1936 Hudson went to a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. The 1934 Hudson and Terraplane wheel had a different arc in the stamping. I really believe these are 1935 Hudson and Terraplane ONLY. I owned a '35 Terraplane coupe with original wheels for several years. I don't know of any other wheel cover that fits other than the '34-35 Hud + Terra caps.

Attached Files:

15. mike hamel

mike hamel

Ill clear up some confusion here. Terraplane was a model of car that Hudson made back about 1940 and earlier. Those wheels where most likely on the Hudson Terraplane Standard, Big Six, or Deluxe Six. The size is 16x4 and they had a 4-4" bolt circle. 1935 was the only year the Hudson offered this wheel.

StillOutThere likes this.
  16. Terraplane was a companion car to Hudson Motor Car Co. really not much different than Plymouth was a companion car to Chrysler Corporation.

Terraplanes were introduced for the second half of the 1932 model year as Essex-Terraplanes and used that name again in 1933. Years 1934, 1935, 1936 and 1937 the name Terraplane stands alone. The 1938 car is a Hudson Terraplane, a model in the bottom of the line-up of Hudson cars.

I author a Handbook on the restoration of all years of Terraplane automobiles and self publish it if anyone is interested. It is really for restorers but would have some useful information to resto-rodders. I have no problem with rodding of course or I wouldn't be here, would I?

17. mike hamel

mike hamel

Ok well there you go! Well clearly thats what terraplanes are. Like GMC trucks are to Sierra models of today. My book only dates wheels back till 1934-1940 on the terraplane models.

18. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

19. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Found a set of Artillery wheels here in Sweden.
    They are stamped Ford and Hering , And i thing they are made for Ford Eifel 37-39 (A German built model)

5x5,5 16" 3 3/4 wide

Attached Files:

20. mike hamel

mike hamel

All I can say is WOW...that is one of the coolest artillery wheel I have ever seen. I wouldnt mind to have a set of those. huh, never ever seen one before. Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Hey I learned about a new artillery wheel out there today :)

21. TikiBoi13

TikiBoi13
    from San Pedro

Mike Hamel u know your artilleries! going to look at a set this week sometime going to for sure mark this thread take a pic and ask u the info. Great

22. A Rodder

A Rodder

A buddy will be having me post some pics of his, shortly, The are a 5 on 4 1/4 or so definately smaller than 4.5, any thoughts

23. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey thanks guys! Thank you for the support. I really enjoy helping out people id there artillery wheels. Both you guys just post pictures of your wheels and ill answer any questions that you might have about them. Hey A rodder, I can almost guarrentee that your wheels are exactly these: 1930's Chevy Standard Artillery wheels[​IMG]

24. TurboRay

TurboRay

[​IMG]

I believe these are Plymouth/Dodge artilleries.........but they don't have hubcap "clips" like most of the ones I've seen. Instead, they appear to have a rolled edge around the wheel-lug "well". What year are they? And.......are there any currently-available hubcaps that would fit? THANX!

C'ya - RAY

25. glenglas

glenglas
    from Atlanta

I just purchased two artillery wheels and they have a bolt pattern of 5x5.25. Does anyone know what used this bolt pattern?

Thanks!

26. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey! ya you measured the bolt pattern wrong. There is no wheel made that is that size. Post a pic. Ill help ya out with iding the wheel.

27. flatheadute1934

flatheadute1934
    from Canada

anyone know what these wheels are 5 on 5.5 16 inch crome spokes painted over now

Attached Files:

28. glenglas

glenglas
    from Atlanta

Mike,

After measuring again I believe they might be 5x5. I will get a picture and post so you can see what I am talking about. Any ideas on how I could convert these to 5x5.5 or is it not worth the trouble?

Thanks.

GG

29. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey! thats easy, those wheels are general jumbo wheels that are made by Cleve-weld, they made many different bolt patterns and size wheels in general. 6-lug 5-lug, 14"-16" wheel. The widest wheel made was about a 6" i believe and it was for a balloon type tire for off-road use. Rare wheel for sure.

30. flatheadute1934

flatheadute1934
    from Canada

I have a set of four for my coupe just need to find hubcaps