Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I wish guys would follow their own car after they're done

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Jun 17, 2018.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Billy, would Hate to rear end ^That^! Sorry, Miss.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  2. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I just put a set of the guide repops, 682c, on my T coupe that have the turn signal mounted on top and was wondering about the visibility of these at night with the headlights on. They really look good, but I will check the night time visibility tonight.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I just finished removing the LED tail lights from my 26 RPU, contrary to what you might think they were not as bright as I thought they should be.
    They also had plastic lenses
    So, I ordered up a pair of nice glass lenses and new bulb sockets, then I painted the inside of the housings a bright gloss white.
    That along with a pair of Sylvania halogen 1157 bulbs did the trick.
    9B3FC72A-77B3-4419-B35B-199CBDCEE651.jpeg A4701E89-3A4E-4963-B717-94E850C3BF5D.jpeg D9CE3362-93EF-443F-B6D0-1AE1FEB8A5F2.jpeg

Tim, Cosmo49, Max Gearhead and 2 others like this.
  4. Hard to see early Ford brake lights when they have blue dots during the day, at night they are OK.

Model A's with original latches are prone to pop open when the frame is not properly boxed. HRP

5. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

After a friend followed me in my Dodge panel he said the tail lights were hard to see against the dark red paint and did not light up too well. I chromed the trim rings and found nos lenses. The old plastic ones were way darker. I appreciated his suggestion.

LED bulbs are not always the best, especially with old glass lenses. The last one we built we experimented with LEDS and various bulbs to get the best result. Not a big fan of blue dots they do not seem to light well. Painting the housing flat white or making a reflector can make a vast improvement.

To me having weak lighting just because it is original is just an invitation to get hit.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The follow your own car is great advice. I have LEDs in my rear lights and the guide repops I have for headlights also had the LEDs for the turn signals as well. Have turns, park, and emergency flashers at all 4 corners. I am still going to add a higher up third bake light of some sort. Saw someone on here who added a red LED strip inside the trunks inner panel and with louvres punched in the lid when you hit the brakes the whole trunk lid about lit up. I might have to steal that idea and use it on mine.

7. I check my lights almost every week. I came home last week and one of my halogen sealed beams was out, only 2 years old... had to get one at Auto Zone for $17... I was pissed. They ran me $8 each from Rock Auto.
    On my parking lights, I painted the housing silver and put in amber bulbs, made a big difference.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

no LED's, Mr. Magoo could see me see me stopping. And those plate lights are obnoxiously bright.
    upload_2018-10-1_10-56-2.png

9. 4tford

4tford

Followed my son driving my car up to a frame shop couldn't see brake lamps on sunny day I went out and got new 40 ford LED lamp assemblies and you could see them even in bright sun. Lost me blue dots but feel safer in traffic.

moparjimd60 and i.rant like this.
  10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

We went to a car show, couple of years ago and my son and his family drove my '46 Woodie and my wife and I followed in my roadster. I could hardly see the tail lights from the wagon. Installed LEDs and they made huge difference. Good tip!

11. 392

308ADC5F-7DCA-48A0-80B1-380894D853AF.jpeg I haven’t done it yet but I like the lights etc that I have. I’m just not sold on 3rd light. I was around a lot of street rods over the weekend and everyone had one along with ac ps and everything else. It speaks street rod to me. Oh and no front turn signals that I’ve sunk my teeth into yet.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I had to clip the rear of my '60 Falcon, after a texting teenager smashed it in, many of you decried my decision to use a '63 rear clip (larger tail lights, backup lights), and to add a third brake light, insisting that I simply accept the risk of getting rear ended again, to remain traditional.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  13. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I have a car that I don't want to modify, but fully understand the need for improved brake and turn signal lights. Has anyone experimented with detachable lighting that doesn't scratch paint or other clever way to have additional lighting that doesn't make me modify the car? This car is (ahem) a factory restoration and will see some road time as a solo car but other times the lighting won't be required.

14. I don't have turn signals on any cars and the panel (and the '28 Tudor have a single light). That being said you can use led replacement bulbs or a higher wattage incandescent bulb. Go on youtube and look at comparisons for real life testing (some led lights are back firing and only work with reflectors). Also go to a bulb website and look for the highest wattage bulb with the correct base.....do your homework. There are many things to think about, like the repo glass lenses tend to be a darker red, led lighting isn't real bright at certain angles (except for the replacement bulb type) and be totally aware when you drive you car.....not everyone cares about old cars anymore so it's your job not to give them a chance to injure you or your car.

Another thing to remember when choosing a bulb or light fixture is you want the difference between your running light and brake light to be big. If your brake light is slightly brighter that's just as bad as having no brake lights.......some led light are guilty of this.

I did buy an old 4" round tractor style brake light and put it below the rear bumper on the new Panel truck. It's kinda low but it gets your attention because it only comes on with the brake light.

As far a bear claw style latches, there's someone on here that sells universal small ones for a good price.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...atches-and-install-kits.924738/#post-11878168

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  15. Not to bring up bad memories or arguments but I don't think anything will stop a person texting for hitting anyone.

16. There's a bunch of ways to make this happen. Bolt on lights (license plate lights, flood light bolted to the frame on the underside......) or make something that tucks away when the brake light is off.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I was telling a young lady about a guy I worked with 30 years ago. He was in Sears and couldn't find what he wanted so he asked a female clerk. She didn't answer him so he asked again and she still didn't answer. Finally he tapped her on the shoulder and figured out she was a mannequin. He said he felt like Mr Magoo. The young lady I was telling the story to asked, "Who is Mr Magoo?". I felt old.

Max Gearhead, SR100 and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. ken bogren

ken bogren

I wonder if painting the interior of the taillight housing might be a place to use that spray on Chrome,

and yes I know that's not traditional.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. I thought putting your flashers on and walking aways behind your car in day and dark was s.o.p. to make sure 1: it works and 2: that you can see it.
    Screenshot_20181001-185127_Google.jpg

GuyW and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

There are so many trucks and SUVs on the road today with tinted windows that the 3rd brake light no longer serves its original purpose to enable you to anticipate the car ahead of you hitting the brakes cause you could see the light on the car in front of it. Still there are so many idiots driving, texting, calling etc. that anything we can do to protect ourselves makes sense.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  22. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Somebody needs to explain what the little lever on the left side of the column even is to most people on the road now a days, cops don't even give a turn signal around here.

23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I wasn't aware that cars of the sixties still used glass lenses. I've only seen plastic.

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for the 2357 tip. Whenever I get my '32 on the rod I'm going to follow through with an idea I had after reading about the fellow down around LA that got smoked driving his rod one early morning a couple of years back; I think he was a fireman. Anyway, my idea is to load up the undercarriage with LEDs nice and bright and red. Especially with our wet streets round here in Rustcouver I think the brightness coupled with the reflection off the wet roads will help a lot. Sometimes rain is a good thing!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No good. White outperforms it (silver) by a long shot.

26. I painted my 40 chevy taillight buckets white inside and installed brand new 1157s. Have full turn signals, front and rear with a side view mirror. I also wire all my cars with a little red light above the windshield that comes on when the brake lights come on. That way I always know my brake lights are working. Looking for a small light [led] to mount at the base of the back window.
    34tailighslit.jpg

27. gene-koning

gene-koning

Tail lights at night are a lot easier to see then brake lights on a sunny day. You want to be sure you can see your brake lights in the sun shine.
    I've thought about adding flashing strobe lights (red of course) to my brake lights, but they are probably not legal.
    After all this, its been a while since I've checked my lights. I'd better do this again, tomorrow. Gene

28. Totally agree about the white, I made housings out of white aluminum to reflect the most light, results speak for themselves. To come to think of it here I am taking photos of my tail lights, seeing how well they work.
    Screenshot_20181001-230027_Photobucket.jpg Screenshot_20181001-230138_Photobucket.jpg Screenshot_20181001-230049_Photobucket.jpg Screenshot_20181001-230102_Photobucket.jpg Screenshot_20181001-230118_Photobucket.jpg

29. ken bogren

ken bogren

I didn't know that, thanks.

30. I am not a fan of the led tailights that are made out of multiple LEDs but you have got to be seen. UPAC makes a 1157 replacement that has a single bright led, not multiple leds, that lights up like a bulb. They care pricey at $20 each but look like a regular tailight and are pretty bright.

I do like the idea of the 2357 bulbs in a white housing though - going to try them next time .....

lothiandon1940 likes this.