Register now to get rid of these ads!

I want to disc my 62 Caddy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pOrk, Dec 18, 2005.

1. pOrk

pOrk

What do I need to look for to convert the front drums to disc on my 62 Coupe Deville?

2. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

here are my plans.
    go find a 69 caddy in a junkyard, pull the rotors, calipers and backing plates off. they will bolt right up to the existing 62 spindles, no need to replace those. This is a one year only conversion. You can actually get new rotors and calipers for pretty cheap at www.rockauto.com but you just need those backing plates.

The other thing will of course be to swap out the master if yours hasn't been changed to a dual resevoir system. There is a whole bunch of info over at this website for 61-62 caddy owners...

http://groups.msn.com/1961-62CadillacCommunity/general.msnw

I plan on doing mine this spring, I found the 69 parts allready and my master has allready been swapped. Can't wait for more stopping power!

bryan

3. pOrk

pOrk

Mine has also already been swapped! I didn't relize it would be this easy to change up, I wish I didn't spend the money on brake cyclinders last fall:eek:

4. barefoot

barefoot

Same question, but for a 59 Caddy.

5. pOrk

pOrk

Now that I'm sitting here thinking about it, what do the calipers bolt up too? What about the hubs?

6. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

From what I understand. The backing plate mounts to the spindle and the caliper mounts to the backing plate. Pull the drum assembly and the rotor should mount the same way and supposedly uses the same wheel bearings and everything. A few guys have done these on that message board link I put in on my last post. Supposedly it's a one day swap but you have to have new brake lines made.

bryan

7. pOrk

pOrk

I read a few posts on there today, pretty cool site. Thanks for the link!

Have brake lines made? Bah, I can do that :D Definatly gonna check it out, will probably buy everything new and find a backing plate at the local yard