Register now to get rid of these ads!

i want to chop my 50 lincoln sport sedan need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50lincolnsport, Jun 20, 2009.

1. 50lincolnsport

50lincolnsport

any one have info on this, where to start ? is it the same as a merc chop ? going to start in a few weeks just want to know what i am getting myself in to. and what i am going to need.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd start by going to Borders and seeing if they have a copy Tex Smith's How to chop tops. It has a couple of Merc articles in it but reading the whole book will help keep you from making big mistakes. There are bits and pieces in each chop they cover that after a guy has done a couple and then reads the book he says "oh hell, I wish I had read that part first".

Plus hunt down every other Chopped Merc article you can find. There should be a few in the archives on here.

Otherwise I think the two bodies are pretty close in design.

I see that Night prowlers has a few different dvds on chopping various Mercs. http://www.thenightprowlers.com/dvds.htm Maybe someone who has one can tell ya if it is worth spending the 40 bucks on.

3. U.S.Kustoms

U.S.Kustoms

are you going to use a mig or tig welder.

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Is this your first chop job? Can you weld, gas, mig or tig? Do you have an average amount of auto body repair experience? A shop with a level floor, that can be used for 1-2 months? Do you have any glass shops in your area that cut down automotive glass? Given that this is a Sports Sedan, is it a four door? Not that it being a four door is a deal breaker, but it does add to the challange of a first chop. How heavy, in terms of inches, of a chop did you have in mind, heavy chops require major fabrication skills and require more time than a light chop would.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

5. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

It's only metal. Screw it up and you can cut it out and do it over. Do your research but don't let the fear of jackin it up keep you from getting it done.

6. woodbox

woodbox

7. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Get another roof off a junker or something. I know a guy who has one for 500 with nice glass, door tops and stainless but its back in NY.

8. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

The sport sedan is the baby Lincoln,same body as merc, from cowl on back. Rod and Custom mag. did a story on a 4-door Merc. chop at
    Bo Huf,s shop. Just do a lot of reading and looking at other chop's
    It is easy to to make junk out of a good car.

9. bubba

bubba
    from Topeka Ks

get in touch with choprods he is the geru of chopping tops his shop #660 825 4080 or tell him bubba sent ya

10. bobjob55

bobjob55

there are a lot of articles on chopping tops out there.. check out glass shops ,,and have windshield cut first..there are too many unfinished chops out there because they couldn't get a windshield..
    that is where you should start..then chop around it..
    side glass if it's curved is another problem,,roll down window,, and match it to your chop..
    rear window..it can be cut ,, or ,,cut and fit as a complete unit..
    .........then just fill in gaps..
    ....a lot more involved ,,, get tex's book,, and start reading..
    ...take your time ..and have fun..it WILL come out nice...