Register now to get rid of these ads!

I want to add a fuel door to the Dodge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donzie, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Donzie

Donzie

I know a lot of guys put the filler neck in the trunk but I'd rather have it outside of the car. But I don't like the gas cap hanging off the fender. To keep it looking "factory" I'm thinking I could use a fuel door from another 50s car. Can a section be cut that would include the door, hinge and inner panel and then welded to the Dodge? Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Big Jon

Big Jon

my 52 chev , has a door about the same position on a similar shaped guard

3. Donzie

Donzie

That sounds perfect Jon. Let me know when you've got it removed and I'll let you know where to send it. :D

4. Donzie

Donzie

Any others? I'm sure someones done this?
    Is there a kit available?

5. RichG

RichG

I've seen lots of guys roaming junkyards, checking out different models and years doing what you are talking about. A little fab work and a junkyard part would yield a custom look. 'Course, you can buy aftermarket too, but why pay someone for something you can do yourself? Aftermarket pieces have to be fabbed in too...

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Aftermarket ones are single wall thin gauge steel.

Junkyard ones are double wall with rolled edge and nice plastic insert bucket which is more professional.

Different ones have different body curves and different pull edges. (where you open it from).

I used a '90s Pontiac for mine. Cut out the entire area so you get the inside bracing.

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Here's mine on the '50 Burb. The opening finger pull edge compliments the '39 Chevy taillights.

Attached Files:

8. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I user one from a Chrysler mini van, cut the whole side out of van. There smooth on finger graps, Used entainment center door latch to hold it closed just like the ones you buy.

9. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I think it would look good with a door.. would you want one the opens from the bottom up, open from the back to the front?

:)

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

You could always hinge the tail light to open and shut. Put the cap and filler hose behind there. With some patients and skill you could make it look right.

11. I don't think a Round late model filler flap would look good on that, the square 52 Chevy idea sounds great. I was think of doing a 50-51 Ford filler flap swap on my 49, but decided against it. Found a killer locking gas cap. Good ideas !

12. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

you would have to modifi the filler neck also and my best suggestion that i would have for that would be to make the filler neck shorter and than fabricate and paint you r own box with door and then cut a hole where you want the door to be and just bolt on the box with the door and connect the filler neck. It sounds complicated but in real life its really easy. P/m me if you have any questions

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Go to junkyard and look for mid to late 90s S-10 pickup bed.

14. I have a 49 Wayfarer that I'm going to do that to, I looked at the teardrop ones that Mooneyes sells but went as 29nash says to the junk yars and cut one out of a S 10 instead.

15. Donzie

Donzie

I'm thinking back to front. Also, I like the idea of using a door from a similar year to make it look "factory".

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Now you're thinking.

17. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Im Pretty sure any square door with a frame will work.. Even from a Early 50s Chev.. find a rotted out car. give your self plenty of metal room to work with on the frame.. better to cut down than it is to add..snag the frame and lid.. there both workable to your car.. I think the gas tube on yours has a Hose between the Tank and tube.. just push the tube further into the Hose.. that will give you room to close the door.. your just applying a different gas cap at that point..

18. skidsteer

skidsteer

I vote for the junkyard route. Worked for my '37 Mopar, although this one does run inside the trunk, because it was inside the trunk on the car I took it off (VW Jetta, as I recall?).

[​IMG]

19. Donzie

Donzie

With the curve of the rear fender I think I could use a door from a '49-'52 Chevy (or other GM).
    A '53-54 has a more square fender and the door sets flatter against it.

Attached Files:

20. Moparhead

Moparhead

I've got a 50 Coronet,and I cut a cardboard template and took it to the boneyard.I used one from a mid 70's Ford LTD.It's square,opens back to front,and the contour matches right on.I'll get a picture of it tomorrow.

Fuzzy

21. Ditto, added a Hudson fuel filler door plus some of the surrounding sheetmetal, was suggested by some of the Hudson guys on here:

[​IMG]

22. Donzie

Donzie

Well I just scored what I needed off of a '50 Chevy from Flop. Thanks for all the input. I'm excited to get it done now.
    My first custom mod to the Dodge.
    Now, what do I do about tailights? :D

23. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks like a good place for a corvair lid!