Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I want Power Steering on my 1964 F-250

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Green Rodz, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I've got a 1964 Ford F-250 two wheel drive pick up. It has a transplanted Lincoln 462 and
    matching automatic trans, all out of the same car. It is a bear to steer. I can't seem to find where there was power steering in 1964 in the F-250 trucks. If there was, is there a way I can retrofit one with the big V8? Or, is there an aftermarket set up that anyone knows of? And, has anyone else done it here that can give me some ideas of how difficult and expensive this project might be?

2. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Have you checked to see if an integral assist steering box from a later ford truck might mount up in place of your manual box? Probably simpler to use an integral box if it fits rather than building the mounts and coming up with an assist valve and cylinder that would work.

If you decide to go with an integral box, stay away from anything from the late 60's and early 70's. Ford's valving on the early integral boxes wasn't good and anything that used one felt like you were trying to steer with a couple ropes tied to the front wheels as you wandered down the road. They were bad enough that Ford bought Saginaw integral boxes from GM and used them until they got their own sorted out.

3. Garbz

Garbz

The 61 to 64 uses a one piece box and steering shaft. You can use a mid 80s toyota 4x4 box and some modifications. you will also need a new steering column or modify the one you have for a rag joint or borgeson joint.

http://midfifty.com/item.php?INV_ID=20871&AD=1

Above is a entire kit for mid fifties for a earlier 54 to 56 but can be adapted as the mounting is similar to a 61 to 64. This kit is based on the toy box and a modified Pittman.

4. finn

finn

The guys over at the Ford Truck Enthusiasts site seem to like the Toyota swap. They have some links to tech articles and videos.

Don't know about the F250 part, though.

5. Sorry guys, we focus on traditional rods & customs; Toyota swaps just aren't what we cover...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.