Register now to get rid of these ads!

i wanna be just like PLOWBOY when i grow up...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jul 13, 2005.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

so the cat is outa the bag (or will be in a minute here). i've had this project on the back burner for a looooong time now. i started it and, other than the guys around here, never showed anyone but my buddy Jeem pics of it. that is till Plowboy went and stole my idea without ever even knowin i had it :rolleyes: . naturaly i HAD to tell him so he would'nt later think i was copying him or anything :D . well they both started as Oldsmobiles, but that is realy were the major similarity ends. this was once a 60 Olds 4 door hardtop. the ones with the flat roof and the giant overhang over the giant wrap around back window. check it out. the top of the cowl used to be the rear of the roof. the rest of the body is comprised of the rear of the Olds, after some serious slicing and dicing, and pieces of the front and rear doors.

there was'nt much left of this car till you got about a foot off the ground, but i just could'nt bare to scrap the whole thing out. there were just too many cool shapes goin on to just let it be turned into a bridge in China. well, the pieces sat in my back yard for about a week before i got the serious itch to do something with it. the original plan was to mate it to a 29 model A roadster cowl (cause i had one) but once the rear of the body was shortened and narrowed and set up to the cowl i just could'nt figure out how i was going to transition the one to the other.

i was stil pretty pleased with what i'd done in one day out in the rain (i was that excited to work on it) so i sent a couple pics off to Jeem. a day or two later i get an email back with some drawings. it was exactly the way i had imagined it, only better. i was thinking originaly of a bubble top, as i was inspired mostly by the Brown Neck Bandito bubble top car, but i wanted to drive the shit outa this thing and it does'nt take a genious to figure out that its gotta get hotter than an Easy Bake Oven inside a bubble top car in the summer with no A/C. so i figured a wrap around windshield would look cool, but Jeem in his infinate wisdom of what truely would look best suggested the two "pod" windshields. i was sold instantly.

and so it sat for a very long time. a couple of times i pulled the beast out of the corner and threw a couple welds at it and framed in one of the (former) taillight openings, but never realy worked on it. that is till yesterday.

after going to Plowboy's Rust Ranch for the weekend and riding in CAS' T-Bucket, feelin the wind in my hair and hearing the roar of the motor just got my blood pumpin BIG TIME! plus hearing Fay Butler tell Plowboy what a rock star he is might have gotten me a little jelious :) .

the plan was to keep pickin at it here and there and not tell any of you hoodlums about it till it was at least at full roller status. well, Plowboy has been pushin me to just come out with it already and since i'm a sucker for peer presure. here it is...

don't expect to see a whole lot of progress real fast. i have a seriously hard time staying on one project at a time. not because i lose interest in them, just that i get excited about another one. i NEVER lose interest, my excitement level just goes up and down on different projects.

besides that Donzie wants his 50 Chevy back before the next millenium and i intend to meet that deadline :D . right now i'll prolly work on this and Don's car back and forth till Don's is done. then i'll find two or three of my other projects to work on at the same time as this one :rolleyes: .

since i know someone is gonna ask. yes i still have the model A. no i have'nt worked on it in a while. since Posie beat me to the punch the need and desire to finish it in a hurry has faded. i do still REALY want to finish that one to a very high level (and show Posie what it SHOULD have looked like) so i am waiting my turn for an Ionia Hot Rod Shop chassis to be jig welded for me. they are in pretty high demand these days so it could be a while. it'll be worth the wait and it's not like i'll get bored in the meantime.

without further ado i present to you the Oldsmoroadster/Space Invader/Pod Racer/Intergallactic Star Fighter/Darth Vader's Revenge/The Jedi Killer?????..... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

its slow going when your building something like this and trying to keep it all square and straight when there is'nt much there, yet, to keep square and straight. the shaded are in the one pic is one of the areas that i need to do a little work on yet to make everything flow together correctly. there is soooo much to do. no rush though.

and after about 20 hours over the past two days....

Attached Files:

3. Wow! I love it.....thanks for showin' us.....and you shouldn't have hidden it for so long!

Great little concept there too Jeem.

{I hate not having a garage at the moment.....I'd be screwin' everything up trying to get somethin' looking 5% as good!}

4. Oh, and don't go puttin' no pointy tips on those taillights....someone might poke their irony out!

5. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

oh man :eek:

SIK PHUK is right on! :cool:

between you, Plowboy and Drew, i have had dreams (ok nightmares?) about kemping out that 29 dodge 5w coupe basket case i got from Jason with the back half of a 58/9 caddy. . .

sick bastards. this post has my juices flowin man :eek: :D

6. Squablow

Squablow

Shit yeah! Your concept is plenty different enough from Plowboy's to be considered original, at least in my book. The front section of the roof looks so perfect as the top of the cowl, I never would have thought of that. Looks like it's going to be SUPER low too, you'll barely get your legs under the dash and you'll sit 3 feet out of the car! I'm sure it won't be that way, but I am interested to see the seating position in this.

Damnit, my Dodge cowl/MG mutant roadster is seeming like a better idea now. I guess I'll have to set the Train Wreck body on another frame and take another long, hard look at it, I think I need to build it. Maybe building open wheeled rods from narrowed, later model tin will be the next big thing, and we'll be the pioneers! There's certainly a lot more of this kind of stuff out there than there is Model A bodies. Train Wreck is just begging for me to go work on it now!

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

Cool...
    I like it.

8. When the frame broke on a certain big Pontiac I used to drive daily - too new for the board and would be in demand for a demo car if it was more solid - I got visions of a similar conversion. Seems the design of certain Pontiacs mimic the designs of '30's cars.. so you cut them down and presto, '30-style roadster on the cheap (until you figure in the cost of the welding wire).

Problem I ran into was a clean design for the rear body, using stock parts - it occurred to me that getting wagon quarters and gate would do the trick a lot easier, and result in a roadster pickup. Only one I could find around the guy retired and probably will scrap sooner or later, of course. Real funny guy, that one, would have loved to save the '39 Merc 4dr he had tucked up in the back. Probably still rotting away.

Now it occurs to me I could probably buy the wagon fender caps off a demo derby guy and fill the middle with some metal out of the top or make some kind of gate.

Originally the plan was to use an S10 frame but I'm not sure it will look right what with the way they bow out. So I am open to ideas there. Because it's so long and the shapes in the body how they are it will look funny if you take too much out of the middle, so if I remember right I was looking at a 119" wheelbase. This isn't much shorter WB than it is now, but the grille ends up between the wheels instead of a foot in front of them. So I'm not sure what I want to do here - building a frame is a little beyond my skill level (more so that it requires a real shop to work in and do it right), or I'd probably just make one. Maybe I'll just mock it up on an S10 anyways and see how it looks, seeing as I have two here.

Anyways, this car is a good idea and a good use for the tin. And as a bonus, if you have some woodworking skill, the back windows out of those 59/60 GM hardtops make a great display case for your models and stuff. Could probably even have a glass shop make a top for it if you wanted.

Now let's see someone do this with a '60 Buick...

9. aedan

aedan
    from ###

those drawings look awesome, this is going to be killer and i look forward to seeing it done

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Gee Mike, I've been doing these little sketches for you since, like, the mid 70's, probably done a coupl'a hundred of 'em for you. Can I pencil you in for a completion date?

11. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Looks good I think that both yours and plowboys will be way cool. After I saw plowboys I had thoughts of building something like that also. But since I seam to have hard time finishing any of my projects I decided against it.

I think that yours and plowboys rods are the coolest things Ive ever seen.

bret

12. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

The secret project is revealed to the public!!!

I have seen the beginings of this roadster and it is going to be great.

Good to see you come out of the closet Mike.

13. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

too late :p :p

14. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

gayrodders think alike hahahaha very bitch'n

15. beatnik

beatnik

Nice Mike, this will another cool build on the HAMB. Gayrodz Rule!

16. Both you guys are off the hook!

Great job so far.

Joel :eek:

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So now that you've dragged this back outta the corner does this mean you won't be cruzn the '47 Chevy around any time soon??:rolleyes: Sure would like to see my friend CherryBlossom at a cruz nite or car show, in a car, before I die.:p :D

Good Luck with the build;)

18. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

you hotrodders are always messing up our cool customs :rolleyes: ...oh wait it was a 4 door? oh ok. Thats sweet! One less black primered/red wheeled 4 door rat rod on the street :D

19. Clark

Clark

Cool!!!!!!!!!!
    Clark

20. loogy

loogy

Yeah, what he said.

21. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

"Wow, Man...sounds like a pretty hip snowmobile!" :D

It's uncanny...that Dude in the drawing looks JUST LIKE YOU!!!!:eek:

How long did it take ya to dig that old thing outta the back corner of your shop???

(That musta been a project in itself!!!:D )

22. The cat is finally out of the bag! When I saw the drawings when Bryan, Greg and I were over there last Aug. we were sworn to secrecy.

Now I can gush publicly... This thing is gonna be cool!

23. Plowboy

Plowboy

Cool! Now stay motivated on the son of a bitch! Slap a chassis together to keep it square or use a model A chassis until you are ready to build it.

The Pileup is Oct 8, plenty of time to get it there in "roller" status.

24. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i don't know about all that but i would like to have the 47 on the road by then. it does'nt need much to be drivable.

thank you all for the kind words. ...now, if only there were half a dozen of me, i might get EVERYTHING done :rolleyes: ...

25. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

SIX of you????:eek:

Even MICHIGAN can't hold THAT much gayness!!!!:p :D

You got a project for every day of the week, so just line 'em up and bang 'em out...

Shit, that Chevy was runnin' last time I was there...what did ya DO to it???:confused: :D

26. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I always liked '60 Olds for some reason...now I have another one! I just have no idea how you guys get the vision for something like that...:confused:

27. Looks like a fun project. My buddi (in Michigan) is also building a similar car....It is a stude cowl and 57 ford quarters.....

28. At least some use is comming of my parts car. I think the only thing I used off of it was the bumper.
    So when is the road trip to Wisconsin?

29. krooser

krooser

Plow-Boyd Coddington is my new Hero....I've even got the Lunar Lander set as my computer background screen....

30. Scotch

Scotch

jeem RULES. Those sketches are awesome...

I can't wait to see this one done..and sitting alongside Plowboys stuff. These oddball RPUs are going to make history down the road a bit. Nothing like 'em before.

nice work!

Scotch~!