Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I used lipstick for first time today... you might try it!!(Tech tip)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 21, 2017.

1. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you wouldn't have this problem if you put a SBC in it

els likes this.
  2. Hombre

Hombre

Al, Man you got's to be careful here, this can be a slippery slope you are traveling. First it's lipstick on bolts and timing covers, then its panty hose and thongs, next thing you know your dipping into your wife's cloths closet. I have heard of this thing before "STOP NOW" before we all have to get ahold of those cats on that intervention TV show and have them pay you a visit. I mean think about this you don't want a name like "Caitlyn".

3. els

els

NICE!!!!!

4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Brilliant excuse for getting caught with cosmetics.

I can't wait for your "High Heels" tech thread:p

Hamtown Al, els and Truck64 like this.
  5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

X2..Have to remember that there is supposed to be room for the fuel pump eccentric which would be above the bolt head by around 3/8"...I have never found any covers that had any marks from being close..Couple times I had to clearance for certain brand timing chains but was a miniscual amount and really amounted to making me comfortable..I would check the timing chain and gear set; some early engines used a wider chain later with narrower with spacer at cam....

Hamtown Al and els like this.
  6. Panty hose will get you down the road a bit after a thrown fan belt.

Hamtown Al, els and catdad49 like this.
  7. Was 196 #'s

Was 196 #'s

Not for checking clearances, but for painting. Decades ago when we used to paint a lot of stuff, if we ran out of the actual paper filters we got from the paint supplier, we often strained the paint from the gallon DuPont paint cans into the DeVilbiss gun through panty hose. We were never able to discern that the results were better one way or the other.

Hamtown Al, els and catdad49 like this.
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The clearance problem came from using a 1998 Ford Explorer(per the orig Ford part number on it) timing cover because it would accept the "short" ford water pump that worked with the rest of the system to considerably shorten the overall length needed to install the completed Ford engine. My 1936 Ford convertible sedan uses a Snow White water pump set up that actually uses an Opel water pump. My 1936 Ford cabriolet that I drove to the LARS last year uses some kind of billet front system somewhat like this one on this 1936 Ford cabriolet project that just got its first lip stick!!

I just wasn't paying enough attention when I first started putting this combination together. I was most likely more than a little distracted from my experiences with the same engine due to me wringing off a bolt in the block and VERY carefully eventually fixing it after a considerable struggle!!:(:(:(:mad::eek::rolleyes:
    In fact, that might have been indirectly caused by the dang concentric then!!! I'm not sure... that whole exercise became so frustrating that I try not to think about it... but I am proud that I did manage to fix it... I was actually somewhat surprised to find that all my "engineering" actually succeeded!!:D:D
    Until now, I credited the bolt wringing in the block with my failure to use quality bolts... you know how that happens... you know what you really should use but you just happen to have some less than optimal stuff on hand so you use it anyway.:eek::eek: I suspect it will be a very long time before I screw anything less than a quality bolt into any hole on an engine block... and probably anywhere else!!
    I'm beginning to believe that that seemingly ancient advice that patience is the most important ingredient in many success stories might actually be true!!;);)
    I guess it's better to learn late than not at all... even about the many uses of lipstick!!:D:D

Thanks again to all that have followed along and thanks for the varied concerns, tips, jokes, and mild harassment... the HAMB "family" tradition.

9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

With this combination, what is your front of pulley to back of block distance?

I am using a right hand '68 pump on a '71 cover and single groove '66 pulleys on an '88 GT engine and got that distance down to 29". I'm 30-1/4" out to the face of the fan. Would be curious what your combo gives for length.

I used a Professional Products balancer to get the 3 or 4 bolt pattern on the bottom pulley.

302Front Drive.jpg 302Front Drive2.jpg 302rf.jpg 302rt.jpg

SPark

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    els likes this.
  10. 6inarow

6inarow

ha articulation paste......

els likes this.
  11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Pictures to follow but from front of block to front of pulley is about 6 and 3/4 inches. Might be 7" to tip of pump.

els likes this.
  12. How long have you been wearing that girdle?
    Since my wife found it in the glove compartment of the car.
    My wife has a collection of old lipstick, so I am going to give this a try. I have been using silver and black markers, but sometimes they don't show well.
    I also use plasticine left over from when my kids were young, for measuring valve and piston clearances.

13. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I just checked, mine is 7.5" from face of block to face of pulley or 8" to the extreme tip of the water pump. Yours is a bit tighter. Good job!

SPark

14. How about the Silly Putty on the lips?:p
    [​IMG] Sorry slow day on the HAMB.:rolleyes:

els and Hamtown Al like this.
  15. wsdad

wsdad

Thanks for this tip! I've been using blue masking tape and a sharpie to number mine. This is a much better, faster, easier to find, less likely to fall off - idea.

els likes this.
  16. Fordnut40

Fordnut40

Hey Al. Is that the '36 you got from Kenny? To keep from being distracted, try wearing a garter belt & breathing through your eyelids.

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Yep, it is the 36 cabriolet I got from Kenny. I've wired most of the car, fixed the radiator, replaced the front wheels, added the windshield, and done enough body work to get it all one color--flat black! Seats are probably next... losing too much agility to still successfully drive on a turned over 5 gallon can!!:D
    Are you suggesting the distraction avoidance technique based on YOUR experiences?!?!:eek::eek::D:D
    I don't think I'm quite up to that skill level... and hope I never am!!!;);)
    As soon as this one runs, it is off to the muffler shop.
    Then I can start on the all steel 36 cabriolet. Picked up the stock chassis today to take it to get powdercoated.
    I was thinking satin black but after all this lipstick experience.... I'm still gonna paint it satin black!!:):):D:D
    How are things in 40 Ford ville? Hope you are doing well. Best to Jo.

els likes this.
  18. 32 HROD

32 HROD

You had me worried, but I feel better now after reading the post...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. OBALLER

OBALLER

Awesome! When I put the skirts on my 51 shoe box the driver side always rubs on my white wall, and for the life of me I cant figire out whats causing the rub. I may have to use something like this to figure it out. Nicely done!!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I'm still at loss as to why it was hitting in the first place . I have built many SBFs , never one time been close . I have done the change front cover to early on many also , no issues . Im not sure what's going on here , but not sure what's going on in lots of stuff in life anymore ! If your running late cam no eccentric, late cover there should be no issue , early cover no eccentric tons of room . If you use late cover just remember it's designed for reverse pump . I'm sure you have all your issues determined , I'm just thinking out loud , not to be a "preacher " to your build .Good Luck and keep the Ford power plant going strong , just remember Ford didn't wear a bow tie !

21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^ You can see in this pic of the inside of the 1998 Ford Explorer timing cover that it is recessed inward. Gives more clearance for the 1994 Mustang short water pump I used. I measured the original timing cover from the engine and I think it was about a quarter inch or so deeper than the Explorer cover shown below.
    IMG_2803.JPG
    Hope this solves the mystery for you.
    Thanks for your interest.

els likes this.
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I do see that now , never noticed that before . That maybe a reverse rotation pump . Requires use of OEM pump drive parts . Seems as you have given good research to the issue . I shortened a OEM pump by turning a bushing and using early pump bearing in late pump casting , GM pulleys . It has been a long time , I still have drawings for the bushing , I gained 1 5/8 in clearance over stock stuff . Keep that Ford going !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I'm very pleased to report that after spending the weekend carefully replacing the timing set, timing cover, and spark plugs, the engine fired right up!! :) Happy Day!:) And... no water running into the oil pan!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::D
    I will confess that I DID use a mirror... to watch the crankshaft timing mark when I was trying to set the timing gears in sync.:D:D I couldn't crank the engine and watch the crank at the same time. One it stopped straight up; it got real easy.;)
    Anyway, thanks for all the concern and insight and suggestions and I hope y'all have enjoyed this tech tip.:)

Now, if I can just figure out why the transmission seems to be in reverse and not park...
    another "opportunity!":eek: Thankfully I was following my absolute policy of having my foot on the brake when cranking an engine.;)

els likes this.