Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I used lipstick for first time today... you might try it!!(Tech tip)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

OK. I agree the title doesn't exactly spell out how this is a tech tip.
    To begin, I bought a pretty good 1936 Ford cabriolet project from a fella in GA that he'd put together to be small block Ford powered. However, as often happens, his priorities got shifted and he had to remove the engine and trans for another project after he had already pretty much worked out the clearance details by using a Zoops front system. Please forgive that Zoops is not traditional but I promise not to show any of that in the pictures. It really doesn't matter what parts you are using in this tech tip anyway.
    The problem, as show below, is that while I got the front system with the car; I did not get the engine. Figuring, incorrectly I might add, that any SBF could be used; I bought a 1986 fuel injected 302 with AOD and proceeded to put same in the cabriolet after removing all the original fuel injected stuff as well as the original front system of pulleys, pumps, alternator, etc..
    I got the timing cover that went with the new front system with the project car package; just not the rest of the engine!!
    I put that timing cover on the new engine and tightened everything up and was thinking things were moving right along. It did go well until I went to put the second gallon of anti-freeze in the engine and I started hearing something that just didn't sound right... the sound of water pouring into standing water. After thinking about it a minute, I decided to check the oil... and found where that water sound was coming from!!
    Drained the oil, and water!!, from the oil pan and left the oil plugs ou11t.
    Took it apart and here's what I found.
    IMG_2816.JPG
    You can see where I inadvertently considerably expanded the water capacity by adding a hole in the back of the water pump area of the timing cover!! Dang!
    Anyway, removed the concentric piece that might have run a fuel pump on a none FI engine and bought a new timing cover. I also measured the clearance in the new timing cover and also measured, as best I could guesstimate, the room needed for the revised configuration on the front end of the camshaft. I even ground a little bit off the top of the bolt but not enough to complete remove the original relief cuts in the top of the bolt.
    In telling a fellow gearhead friend of my efforts, I told him I was going to run a yellow marking stick over the end of the bolt and then stick the cover on dry, without the gasket, to see if it cleared.
    He then suggested I ask the wife for an old tube of lipstick. I'm sure the rest of y'all have been using lipstick for this purpose for years; but somehow nobody ever told me!!

Hombre, els, Hnstray and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Here is the sequence from round 1:
    IMG_2802.JPG
    I applied the lipstick. Didn't even use a mirror.:D:D:D
    IMG_2803.JPG
    Checked that the inside of the timing cover was clean.
    IMG_2804.JPG
    After putting the cover up against the block and realizing it wouldn't sit flush against the block on both sides, I removed the cover and found the above.:( Dang!

Hombre, els, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Then I found a slightly thinner heavy washer to use on the end of the camshaft bolt to secure the top timing gear and also ground the top of the bolt down some more.
    Round 2:
    IMG_2805.JPG
    Wiped the timing cover clean inside.
    IMG_2809.JPG
    Then, tried to get it to sit flush a second time.
    IMG_2810.JPG
    ALMOST set flush to block but not quite!! Dang again!!
    After looking at it a bit, I realized the dummy doing the work had NOT used the thinner heavy washer!!:eek:

4. Well hell, a little lipstick, put your hair in one of those man buns, and you're ready to go cruisin'. :)

To check how much clearance you have you could also stick a little modeling clay on the end of that bolt and gently begin to tighten things down. Take it back off and measure the depth of the clay.

Jugornot and els like this.

5. catdad49

catdad49

Does your wife know that you're sharing her lipstick with another woman?! Great tip (as long as the wife doesn't mind).

Stogy and els like this.
  6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I already knew but further realized that engine assembly was not my strong point!!:D
    So, for round 3 I used the thinner heavy washer and also ground the top of the bolt down further; removing the rest of the original relief slots in the top of the bolt and then making sure the top was pretty flat by finishing it off with a flat hand file.
    I wiped off the inside of the timing cover again and proceeds to check my progress again.
    Round 3:
    IMG_2811.JPG
    It seemed to sit flush against the block on both sides; even without the gasket.
    Maybe?
    IMG_2813.JPG
    Verdict is a thumbs up as shown below!!:):)
    IMG_2815.JPG

Any questions?
    Yes, bright red might work better but I didn't want to come across as being too brazen!!:D:D:D

Hope this little saga causes some of you to share a laugh or two with your buddies...
    and improve your technical skills at the same time!!;);)

'51 Norm, Hombre, els and 3 others like this.
  7. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Great idea Al

els and Hamtown Al like this.
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Dazzlin' Dan, as evidenced in some of the pictures; I sure could have used your help!!;);):D:D

els likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Good tip. We would have been worried if your nails had matched the lipstick in the pics though.

1927graham, v8deuce, Truck64 and 4 others like this.
  10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If anyone else runs into this, you can countersink the hole in the washer and use a countersunk socket head bolt with loctite.
    [​IMG]

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^GREAT idea!
    Thanks... obviously I can use all the help I can get!!:D:D

els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. belair

belair

The countersunk fastener is cool, but then you don't get to play with make-up. I was going to say something about putting lipstick on a pig, but that's too nice of a car.

Hamtown Al, els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just don't get any of that shit on your collar you'll have a hell of a time explaining that to the wifey!! :D

Hamtown Al, els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Ah, the thinner, yet heavier, washer problem.
    Kind of like having the world's smallest big screen TV in your cave.

Hamtown Al, Nostrebor and els like this.
  15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I am more confused by why everything is hitting the inside of the cover?!?!? I gave build hundreds of SBF/351W engines and have only seen this a couple times and each time it was the top gear sitting wrong on the cam.

SPark

els likes this.
  16. els

els

Great idea. When I read the title to your thread, I was ready to revoke your MAN CARD. I hope you used your wife's lipstick. Try to explain the counter person when you had to go to the mall and buy that lipstick. And what you were using it for. YA RIGHT!!

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

oh, thought would have been about putting lipstick on a pig not a motor - can use wheel bearing grease for this too

flightt, Hamtown Al and els like this.
  18. You can also borrow your kid's play dough to determine clearance between parts.

Hamtown Al and els like this.
  19. els

els

Wheel bearing would work also. But grease doesn't look as PRETTY. LOL.

Hamtown Al, lurker mick and Saxman like this.
  20. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

My thoughts exactly. What happened to cause this timing cover to be too shallow? Is it a special cover of some sort?

flightt and els like this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

When I worked as a line mechanic in a dealership back in the bad old days of emissions. Late 70's early 80's. I kept a selection of finger nail polish in my tool box and took quite the ribbing from the other techs. Until they saw me marking all the vacuum lines with different color finger nail polish to designate where they went . If you have ever worked on those years imports with carbs you know what I am talking about. 10 to 15 vacuum hoses running all over the place when you tear one down. Simply mark the vacuum line and the port with the corresponding colors and when it goes back together it is easy.
    Pretty soon everybody was borrowing my finger nail polish.

Hamtown Al, scrap metal 48 and els like this.
  22. els

els

I have been working for FORD forever, I remember 351 had bad "CAM WALK". And there was a thinner washer on the cam bolt in the for the cam gear. Ford did find a fix for it with a TSB for this concern. I am 57 and retired. I cant believe I can remember this stuff.

23. catdad49

catdad49

Bright Red is for hussies! Hopefully none of your tech tips involve panty hose!

24. I generally use silly putty,I keep it in my tool box for gauging how close items are.

Never tried lip stick but if it works go for it. HRP

Hamtown Al, els and Just Gary like this.
  25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Hey, invite the Avon lady over to help you work on your car. Knew a guy who once had a Tupperware party for ALL guys!!! It got a little wild from what I heard (drinking, and long before legal MJ). I guess the Tupperware rep sold a bunch of stuff to guys for their wives and girlfriends. I was't there however. Oh, and I think the shade of lipstick you used makes your engine look "trashy". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Hamtown Al, Hombre, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  26. long island vic

long island vic

ive been using it for years,, friends laugh till they find out it works,, got the gfs cast offs .. by the way if she asks if they look bad on never say yes,,cause then you get no lipstick on your dipstick

Hamtown Al, 59Apachegail and els like this.
  27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Nice touch."
    mmll.gif

Hamtown Al, els and catdad49 like this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now can you apply the lipstick using the mirror while driving your car?

els likes this.
  29. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

els likes this.
  30. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Sorry to read about your bolt clearance issue, but on the bright side, with a touch of eyeliner and some blush, you'll be the cutest one at the weekly cruise night at the local drive in. Remember, never wear white high heels after Labor Day.
    Hope you get your issue fixed and get out on the road - good luck.