Register now to get rid of these ads!

I tryed save some...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ESGEE, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

2 days ago i heard that a guy was going to sell allot of old cars and parts, i went there and the was cars and parts all over the place, and nothing was inside everything just layed there in snow.
    [​IMG]
    First everything was relaxed and all, he showed where to dig in the snow, did find model T, A and B wheels, old Willys wheels and other wheels....

2. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

[​IMG]
    Behind that 1940 Ford is were i found the first 10 Wheels. Just as i was to start talking prices with him, then 3 more pepole showed up and it got hysterical...
    So it ended with me just leaving the place, cause prices got up and up.

3. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

[​IMG]
    Cant understand how you can collect and love cars, to just have everything out in the snow rotting away. I dident take som many pictures, but there was allot of other callics in better shape like a rolling 1940 Ford, 1928 model A, bodys of 2 A fords and more and all trucks and buses, that is not commen in Sweden...

4. chubbie

chubbie

that body sat out side for 50-60 years, don't think it has to be inside now. it's the salt not the snow that rust them out

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

My grandma used to say your eyes are bigger than your stomach. That means, you want more than you can eat, or you want more old cars than you can fix up, or find room for inside.

It's like a disease. I have been getting rid of stuff lately and now have only 8 cars and trucks, 3 trailers and a motorhome. Plus 40 bicycles, some motorcycles and some other stuff. And of course the parts.

6. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

With 7 cars and 10 motorcycles and allot of parts, i sure understand that part. I have cars outside to, but i have cover for them and thet stand on concrete not grass and gravel like him. And i keep parts indoors insted of trowing everything aroud smashing stuff up, he had like 50 old wheels and no of them had straight spokes.
    Sure other pepole think i have to much stuff, but im not in the same leauge. Allso that after things breaks, he thinks that it is in the same pricerange. Snow dont make it rust but when it melts and the weight breaks stuff, and we have snow here...

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Was the guy an American? Either was or a hell of a good imitator. Yards full of crap left out to rot away are practically an American institution.

8. Bart78

Bart78

I keep old bodies like that outside. And I don't cover them. Covering them with something traps moisture. And they rust out much faster. Just make sure they don't hold water. Drill holes in places so they will drain. They can be welded up when ever they get worked on. If you keep it all inside you have less room to work.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Depends on where you live. Might work in TX, but in the rust belt and east, you can watch the rust grow pretty much every time it rains. In the wet parts of the northwest, the moss and plants can take over a project real fast. Not sure how Sweden compares with outside conditions.

10. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

This was in Sweden, and there is not classical american cars behind every barn. Sure some old Volvos and Saabs on the contryside, we have them rotting away since we make em, Us builds their cars so those finds the back of a barn or field in the Us.

11. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

drilling holes accelerates rust damage in my experience...

12. Bart78

Bart78

Drilling holes so water won't sit in the floor of a old car slows it down. I have tons of shit sitting out at my place. Will I ever get to it I don't know. But I am not going to let it hold water. But if you put a tarp on one. It only has a few years.

13. chubbie

chubbie

i do the same thing. carpet is what takes out the floor, don't care where your from!! mouse nest is the worst, gets wet and holds the moisture and turns mouse piss into a cutting torch!! i have some cars and parts inside but thats expensive..

14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I cover em when it rains then open em up to dry.
    Not really that big of a thing in Tucson.
    I'm kinda thinking about thinning the herd too. 12 cars,7 motorcycles, a motorhome and 2 camper trailers, is probably more than I will do in the time I have left.

15. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

When i was 16 i fund 7 old us cars and 10 to 15 euroean cars out side a barn
    But this was 1980
    This cars was realy bad shape i belve they have sand there since 50's or 60's
    The cars was if i rember right
    a nach from late 30's
    1 dodge 46
    some other car from the 30's
    2 mopar more mopar cars from the late 40's
    and 2 plymouth 56
    and a lot of volvo pv
    split vw
    old mercerdes from the 50's
    and this after a tips from my mother
    She said that her best frend when she was litle had brother's that had lot of old amercan cars on the 50's

16. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

1980 you could find cars in woods and stuff, some cars thou the big import of us cars 1973-1974(my father lived on importing then) but since the middle of the 80´s Sweden has been cleaned, seeing a place like this 2013 is unusual...
    The most commen cars behind barns nowadays is just 70 and up european cars, the old japanese and frensh cars have allready rusted away;)

17. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I quit hoarding years ago. I finally realized it was the find that drove me. So now I have a revolving collection. I keep a few bits, pass most of it on. One project on deck is enough, there is always more shit to find, no need to keep big piles of it around.

18. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Hoarding is the word, the find and hunt is allways there, a fine line to walk...