Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think I've lost my mind, I'm going with a SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nowaxn5, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Seems like you could buy a decent running mid-late '70s Caddy with a 425 or 472 for a lot less than the crate engine and swap that in. I mean we have a '69 4-door here with a roached interior and no one seems to give a damn about it. Those things will run forever if you don't abuse them.

2. first take the motor apart and find out what it will take to fix, as said, then take into consideration all the extras that go into an engine swop buying the 350/700 is just the beginning, hoses, belts, pulleys, fuel line/pump, manifolds or headers and head pipe, air cleaner, gas pedal linkage,motor/tranny mounts driveshaft etc... then decide.

3. Before I make my comment, I have to say that I think Cadillacs are awesome, and a Caddy with a Caddy motor is too cool.
    BUT....

I have to disagree. Just because the parts are easier to find does not have anything to do with dependability. The fact that Chevy built essentially the same engine nearly 40 years is the reason why the parts are easy to get. There are 1000 times more small blocks on the road today than the mid-50s Cad engines. That isn't a talking point I'm gloating over, it's quite the opposite, it's just a fact. If you blow a distributor in BFE, you'll find one in an Autozone. Good luck finding one for a mid-50s 331 Caddy. Break a rocker arm, same deal. Break a fuel pump arm, same deal. Your argument about the relationship between reliability and availability is untrue.

If you kick a rod in anything, it's game over, no matter the engine. When a rod goes away, you're looking for a new shortblock.
    Last time I went to NAPA, there were 3 SBC shortblocks fully machined and assembled, available for sale.

If you can afford the price to rebuild the 331, go for it. If it's done correctly, it'll be fine. But if you want to hit the road and make long trips, consider the SBC. I've done enough long-hauling to know that there's not a worse feeling than being broke down in BFE and having to figure how you're going to get home. I work Monday-Friday, and can't be stuck waiting for a part for 2 days and hope it's the right one.

Plus, when a cool car is running down the road, no one can tell what's under the hood. Unless you're Superman and you've got X-Ray Vision.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  4. n847

n847

As a guy with a SBC in a Plymouth my advice is stick with the Cad..But at the same time the only time you will ever catch crap about it is on here...And thats a good thing it keeps us honest. Maybe just drop in the SBC and rock it out, keep the Cad and maybe rebuild it later and drop it in at a later date?

5. belair

belair

Welcome to the orange side.

6. Rebracer

Rebracer

We all know a small block is a great engine and it's over 50 years old, if anyone wants to bash you for using a great American engine, then kindly ask them to purchase and install the snob motor of their choosing.

When it comes to small block Chevrolets its all about how you detail them and what your components are, that separate a 1990s looking billet dripping crate motor from a 1960s bad ass engine.

7. Rebracer

Rebracer

...That being said by all means keep your Cadillac engine and rebuild it at your leisure so you can one day pop it back in.

8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Baloney-
    "blow a distributor"? when was the last time you heard of anyone "blow" a distributor? C'mon, Chebby lover, you're getting pretty desperate for material, aren't you? And have you ever heard of anyone breaking a rocker arm in a stock 331 Caddy? Not too many of those turning high rpm, must be those outrageous spring pressures... It would seem that your Chebrainwashing is complete

9. TERPU

TERPU

YOU have lost your mind! But it's ok to consider the options when the hard costs start adding up. SBC's are great engines no doubt, but that old Cadillac motor has and will give you tons and tons more miles. Show it some respect and love and it'll be great forever. Not to mention the pride factor of having one of the first and best Cadillac motors made in your car. Rebuild it you'll not regret it. As much as I am a fan of SBC and will gladly argue its merits over the flathead and why it's traditional you have a great engine with the history to prove it.

Go Cadillac!

Tim

10. I'm an SBC guy and have been for a long time so I won't argue with your choice of engines. I would like to say something though, if you are going with the argument that you can find parts anywhere for using an SBC you have actually chosen a poor argument. You choose an SBC because that is what you want to do.

I could give you a list of good reasons to use an SBC but the only really good reason to run one is because you want one.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How about getting back to the title of this thread. You haven't lost your mind. In fact you've embraced a time honored solution to the problem. Only those with tunnel vision an abundant bank account and a predisposed hatred for the SBC will have an argument against your proposed solution to a problem that faces an increasing number of classic car owners. For those who aren't faced with your problem, get over it and get on with your life. I agree with the thought of putting the caddy under the bench for a possible future restoration. After a period of time has past and you've moved it a dozen times because it's in your way check the current price of scrap and go get yourself enough cash for a tank of gas which the SBC will take you more miles down the road than the caddy ever would .

Frank

12. Rossodino34

Rossodino34

How 'bout a big Block? Lot'sa torque which is that car's friend. Run a tall ring and pinion, low rpm, the milage will be close to the sb. There are a lot of BB 3/4 ton Suburbans running around with over 200k on the clock....and they tow.
    My thoughts, worth a check.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

472 or 500 caddy? probably could find a good running donor for alot less then the price of a new crate motor and rebuilt trans.

14. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I'd say do the swap in a way where everything can be returned to stock. No welding things to the frame or hacking the body. Someday when you have the money and ambition maybe you could go back to Caddy power but nothing is more lame than a busted down car in your driveway. I should know, I have three of them laying around.

15. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

How can you really have a complete thread about an engine swap without this being added?:rolleyes:

" Put a 302 Ford in there!"

Ok, now we have a real thread full of real controversy.:D

Anyone taking dibbs on how many posters may take me seriously and flame me till I'm crispy?:p

I would put in a mild 350 if the car is going to be a custom and put in the OD for mileage. I would not but in a bigger engine, go go juice is just going to keep going up in price. Build something very drivable.

16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Nah, you're supposed to completely ignore the dependability record of the SBF, and the fact that parts are just as available as they are for the SBC- but the folks with SBF's don't seem to be as paranoid about breaking down as The Great Brainwashed are :eek:, they just go drive 'em

17. furyus

furyus
    from Virginia

I don't know from Shine-ola compared to most of this forum, but isn't an engine swap the essence of hot-rodding? To say that a Cadillac must have a Cadillac engine strikes me as the antithesis of hot-rodding, traditional or otherwise.

furyus

18. Rusty46

Rusty46

Yet again...everybody talks about the SBC being bashed yet probably 3 of 5 cars here have a SBC in them.

The solution is to do what makes you happy because it's your car.

What would I do? 472 or 500 Cadillac motor hands down. They have torque for days and are pretty cheap to get.
    The early 70's 472's are 375 horsepower and IIRC, 525 foot pounds of torque. That's right out of the box and if that's not bang for the buck...I don't know what is. With a good road gear out back, they can be fairly economical as well. They are very well made engines that don't weigh much or any bit more than the SBC. I have a 472 in my hearse and I love it...

19. teddyp

teddyp

this is funny you have one of caddy ,s best cars and being a caddy guy myself a would put a sbc in it all 90 to 96 caddy fleetwoods rear wheel drive have sbc in them i have a 93 fleetwood and it,s one of the best caddy,s i ever had you can put the 331 under a bench and that will make you feel better thinking you will fix it but odd,s are the sbc will be home to stay

20. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Thanks for all the posts fellas, I have alot of respect for the hambers opinions.
    I should have mentioned in the post that I'd keep the 331 in the wings for sure. I already have one from a parts car in the garage that I wanted to paint up and put some of the speed parts I have as eye candy. The block is junk.

21. nothing wrong with the SBC especially for a cruiser / driver parts are cheap, they are reliable and easy to work on.

22. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

NOWAXEN5 do what works for you. My 331 died and the trans was junk in my 53 Caddy and I got a KILLER deal on a 454 and turbo 400 out of a rv. Guess what ??? I am driving the Hell out of her. You can always put the 331 back in her. Get that car back on the road and enjoy, If you dont want people to know what you have keep the hood closed .Most people dont know what they are looking at anyway. get some valve covers with the Cadillac script and paint the motor blue. :)

23. F&J

F&J

That reminds me of 2 other long trips I read on hamb that I though were cool; Bass with the old hemi and Megan with the flathead.

24. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Go with the SBC and like you said if something happens to it you can go anywhere and get it back on the road again for "CHEAP"......

25. And I'm the one who is brainwashed? Read the title of the thread, it says SBC, not SBF. Typical..................................

26. Jason455

Jason455

I like the idea of a cadi in a cadi but if I were in your shoes....SBC.

27. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Cars are not a sacred object as much as some on here think so. You own ,it do as you please and enjoy.

28. You correct about the distributor or rocker arm. However things like water pumps, fuel pumps, starters alternators would be almost impossible to find for engines like the old caddy and many other engines. and you can easily find those for the small block even on a sunday. And I have expierenced GM HEI distributors just quit working. I always carry a spare. But I could buy one almost anyplace. OldWolf

29. Brewton

Brewton

Put whatever you want in it! Don't ask peoples opinion.... just do what you want. The last time I checked there isn't a rule book. I lean to traditional styling, but do what you feel is right. FYI - I have a SBC in my coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

30. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Nice "spin" away from your ridiculous comment about "blow a distributor" :D
    I'll talk slow for your comprehension- read... the... posts... in... order... including... the... quotes

And you can buy a Duraspark pretty much anywhere you can an HEI- but I've never needed to buy one for a repair, just for builds