Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Think I Made The Right Wheel Choice! '64 Sport Fury Leaves The Garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al K, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

I am with you on raising the front a little. You have gone to the trouble of sourcing period wheels, the magazines of that era show that the cars were nose high.
    I would roll the rear lip as was suggested.

2. Thank you very much for the comments and compliments. The trans issue was part of my infamous rant(which I stand by,but ain't goin' there...)and is seriously oozing out of a front seal. Thing is,I poured some sealer in,and with the car running in neutral-in the garage,with a pan under it-had minimized it. Then,I pulled the car out of the garage to clean it,and there's the bloody leak again. Didn't notice how bad it was(remember,I thought I had almost stopped it) until I went to dry the car off. Had I known it was that bad-again-there would have been a pan under her. Don't fluid stains add character to a driveway?

As far as the tire clearance issue;the potential contact point would be the inside of the quarter panel,about 4-5 inches up from the wheelhouse lip-which isn't an issue-where the panel "curves" up from the lip. A seven-inch wheel would move the carcass(at its widest point) in perhaps just enough,but an eight-inch wheel is a better choice for those tires,IMO. Going to a 5" b.s. would provide the needed clearance(heck;I've got 2" of clearance to the springs) in the wheelhouse,but I'd lose that cool "depth" look of the current wheels. Oh well,if they rub,I call Wheelkid again(great guy to deal with) and see about another set. I'm sure I can find an interested party for these with the 4-1/4" b.s. somewhere.

As far as the stance;I prefer slightly nose down or level. I know the S/S guys ran nose high,at least back in the '62-64 period,but little by little-probably due to the growth of the available tire sizes-the back ends started rising. I do like the stance of the '70 and '80's era Stock and Super Stock class cars,though some were way too low in front for my taste. I had considered 215-75R15 front tires,but they are a wee bit too wide,in the looks department,for me. The 205's just looked better. I've got an original 7.75-14 Goodyear Super Cushion(was the spare that came with the car),and that thing is downright tiny compared to even my current front tires.

Getting the trans fixed soon,hopefully in time to test drive it before the Frankenmuth show. I'm optimistic enough to have pre-registered;fingers are crossed. The ghost of Walter P. Chrysler did NOT come down,lay his hands on the car and state: "Plymouth,be healed!" as I had hoped...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. Maybe you can have the welds cut on those wheels, move the center 1/4" or so, and weld back together cheaper than a new set of wheels. I forgot what I paid, but I had it done before locally

4. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I think because the 58 had Chrome Reverse Wheels also....I would raise it a hair in the front,put a set of radirs on the Front and call it a day

5. Groucho;I like the idea,but then I'm dealing with re-chroming them. Did a little "mental visualization" of the wheels with 5"(or 4-3/4";it's all relative) back-spacing,and they'd still look "right". Like I said;if they don't rub when driven,we're rockin'! Hey;I miss your contributions to the "Street Racing..." thread from a while ago.

Oh,the chrome steelies are staying; I had considered a number of wheel combo's(including Raders,M/T's and even white steelies) and visualized these and the decision was final. Hey,it's a Sport Fury;it needs some "flash".

6. There's NO need to re-chrome anything when going in that direction

7. Just Jones

Just Jones

8. Al K - the wheels look great! ... a lot nicer than the slotted aluminum Ansens we ran on our (daily driver) '64 Plymouth Sport Fury in the late '60s:

[​IMG]

9. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Beautiful car. I wouldn't change a thing.
    [​IMG]

10. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

11. cornpatch

cornpatch

The low stance may be ok if you had bling-bling 20" wheels on it ( YUK) But you have era correct chromes which would look better with it raised a little more. Nice Plymy, you have a right to be proud of it.
    Clean up the tranny fluid--looks like a white shirt with a big bloodstain in the back! :).......................MO

12. Looks fine to me...
    I wish I had mine back, had a convertible and a hard top.
    Both w/big blocks, one had a factory 4sp & the other one had the push button auto.

13. Beautiful Sport Fury. 1964 was the best year, beautiful body style.