Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think I have A.D.D.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Rabid Whippet, Sep 19, 2011.

1. I always have plans to get my cars on the road but I create way too many projects as does my wife as I am very handy.
    I can never seem to finish a project before 2 or 3 more come up, usually created by my own doing. I had a guy come look at a truck that I have for sale as I just have way too many projects and I thought I needed this truck before my mind said that I don't.
    So this guy shows up and see's what I have going on and what all my projects I have and he said, he won't be able to sleep just thinking about half of what I have going on.
    So I created another weekend project that took away from my 1936 5 window coupe and my 1929 Whippet 3 window Hotrod.
    I decided that my loft in my barn needed carpeting. ? Ugh!!! Hey the carpet was free!!!! That means moving and lifting everything including 2 pool tables and all the old crap I have displayed!!! Thats alot of stuff!!!! I also have to carry all the carpet up to the second floor. I also have to keep the wife happy so I had to do wainscoting throughout the master bedroom while taking breaks from carpeting.
    I got both projects done but what alot of work and my cars just sit!!!! Its worth it in the long run but I sure would like to get one of my Hotrods going before another project comes along. I have a feeling that wont happen as I need to finish the lean to off the barn so I can clean up the front of the house. And the Hot Tub needs some electrical problems fixed, and the truck may become another project that I need to fix so that it will drive or I cut it up.
    I'm uploading a video right now on the carpet job I did in the barn. This is why I can't seem to get the Hotrods on the road!!!! UGH!!!
    Lets see if I can find another project to start in the meantime!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbD0koGD-vQ

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. with ya man....

3. we should start a hamb a.d.d club.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just started the hard wood floor install here in the office/junk room. Going to be a long drawn out project. Move crap out of the way, install flooring, move stuff onto the installed flooring, and finis the rest. This is all recycled 60 year old oak. Some day the room will be emptied the floor sanded and finished. I've got more unfinished project than most people.

5. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Is that what it's called?

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then all of a sudden...you're old. And you realize how little time ya might have left...and you're instantly cured of the A.D.D.

With this new "enlightenment", (panic?) you decide to sell a lot of your extra crap, so you can maybe...finally...finish one good project. You're kinda excited to realize how much $ selling all that stuff that you've accumulated could generate. So ya put most of it up for sale...

Only to realize that nobody wants your crap...unless you're basically giving it away.

Moral of the story? I don't fuckin' know...lol.

7. You and me both. I think everyone I know always ask, "When do you sleep"? I tell them there's no time to sleep. Once I'm dead, I'll have lots of time for that LOL!! I just got done tearing out (3) 8ft X 7ft high sliding doors and installed new 8 ft french doors that were wider and higher than the originals, made all my own trim as no lumber company had the profiles I needed. That alone took 3 weekends out of my car building. So every inch of my house is redone now, I built my shop with 5/8" drywall and its all smoothwall , I built a 28 ft high two story shed that is all shake sides, and then the barn and now the lean to and the decks and the under ground sprinkers for an acre and 1/3 and and and and and.......... Oh and maintaining and fixing up 11 cars are all squeezed in while on top of that, I own my own construction business that I do all my own work with alot of subs, do the estimates, do the invoices, pay the subs, do the banking, pay all accounts and do all my taxes.
    I'm also into music so I play guitar and sing with a bunch of friends when I have the time.
    No wonder I like finding more projects, I don't have much to do!!!!!! LOL!!!!
    Even when I was young, I had lots going on. I'll have to post video's of my shop next. It blows alot of peoples minds as I have so much stuff going on all at once in it!!!
    AND THEN WE HAVE THE "HAMB" TIME!!!!!!!!!

8. LabRat

LabRat

Stopping at one of everything might be somewhere for you to start .....:D

I hope you never have to move house .... :)

I didn't bother with a house , so I am always in the shed !

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

You think you are busy now, try having a couple of kids. Hint, get as many projects done as you can before that might be happening. And 2 is a lot different than just one.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

You dont know the 1/2 of it, and i'm so bad i'm buying anouther garage!!! You cant complain, ive got ya beat all to hell

11. I have ADD. I start doing one thing and then I

12. xlr8er

xlr8er

I suffer from ADD and a little OCD. I need EVERYTHING very clean or I ,,,, lets ride bikes...

13. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Same here, I think we all need some serious counciling. I am thinking it has to do with our ego and personal approval requirements. I do have to say that if you move every couple years it puts an end to some of it but, I have found that to be very expensive. It comes down to the old adage that "He who dies with the most toys wins"

14. Weasel

Weasel

Ain't that the truth. It will take me years to sort/organize everything. I've got the 'need to finish what I have while I can' syndrome and throw out/give away most of the junk. Plus I have suffered from the habit of buying stuff 'just coz it's neat' or 'I'll need it for a future build' - which will never happen. And I tear apart everything that is running because 'it is never right or good enough' and I have to redo it my way. I have a real hard time having a finished car and leaving it alone. It's really a foreign concept to me and I get all twitchy.

Working around the house is a full time occupation and everything takes five times as long as I optimistically think - as she says 'okay we've heard the fantasy version, now how many man hours will that take?' I find it really hard to get any shop/quality/relaxotherapy time and when I do, I feel guilty that I am stealing time and not doing something else that needs doing....

15. robleticia

robleticia

HAMB A.D.D. club, now that sounds cool, I think I would......oh look, a bunny......

16. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i tried to start a support group once,but the sponsors never showed up they stopped to look at some parts on their way over,the rest of us went online to find some web counseling,& ended up on C/list & Ebay,now we have more crap than when we started...:rolleyes: ...LOL!

17. My whole life is an unfinished- hey LOOK, something shiney! :)

18. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

I have been vindicated, lifelong problem now diagnosed! Can I be a charter member? my present wife has given up trying to change me from "The Problem", don't see a problem don't most genius's do this??????Always thinking man, always thinking! Cliff

19. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Yep, We're all in the same boat. Two kids at home, two large dogs, two cats, two "hot rods", two Harleys, two tractors, two OT cars for repair/resale (sounds like the start to an ark!) 50 acres to try and maintain, and a 1905 farm house that I have been re-doing for the past 10 years. I work 45 hrs a week at a real job and lately I have been putting in a couple hours a night on a new little "venture". Oooo, there's a 57' FORD truck with a big block for sell, gotta go!

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

How old are you? You can burn the wick at both ends while you're young...go easy or you'll end up with a heart attack.
    Like Rickybop said-you'll soon turn old. Toss in a bad back or some other ailment and it'll be a sobering series of reality checks!
    Dedicate the first half of a Saturday to the house, and the second half to you/your cars, otherwise you'll never get anything done or have time for yourself which isn't mentally good.

Now that I'm over 50, I can feel myself slowing down a bit, and really cooling it on "projects to stash away for my retirement". If I keep buying shit, I'll never be able to afford to retire, so that keeps me in check.

21. Racrdad

Racrdad

I am feeling so at home on this thread......

Attached Files:

• add.jpg
      add.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
  22. I thought it was O.C.C.A.D. Obsessive Compulsive Car Accumulation Disorder...whatever you wanna call it most of us here on the HAMB suffer from it

23. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Fixed that for you.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man! I'm right there with you! Picking up my next project on Saturday. The one that will get finished after my Model A, '53 Pontiac, and '35 coupe, all the side work plans I have for next year, and after all the crap I have to get done around my home. HAHAHAHA! Sad... :eek:

25. Super88

Super88

They said I had A.D.D. but they just don't understand, oh look, shiny!

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops I've been tagged as being member in good standing in this club too.

I worked on my motorized bicycle Friday afternoon and ended up starting on cleaning up the garage because I misplaced a couple of parts for it.
    I've got an engine on a stand that is almost back together and needs to be put back in an ot mini van so it can be sold for project money and I have another full sized van that needs to be finished so it can either be driven or sold, again for more hotrod money.
    This week it is finish the new doghouse for my daughters dog after work and then get the garage cleaned up on Friday and find the missing igniton parts for the bike motor.
    That doesn't include getting the chassis together for the 48 and eventually figuring out what car the 8 BA that is in the back of the mini van is going in.

27. outlaw256

outlaw256

well im not alone after all.but that part about gettin old is so, so true. im 56 now and crippled up some and in constant pain(from a bike wreck in 05) but i still cant leave things well enough alone. or i gotta build something or change something on the house.ive got 4 project cars waitin and a few cars that i know will never be done because i cat leave them alone but i can drive them.the 2 shops need cleaning one needs some siding repair. i got so much to do and im doing so much i got myself lost.i dont even know where the hell im at anymore,and i never left the property.going to go look at another old car today.just what i need. no i really do.now im tired im going to go lay down now. EVERYTHING can wait a couple hrs.

28. I've got two adult kids with ADD and ADHD. The Doc says it's hereditary. Have no idea where they got it from :rolleyes:

29. I'm at 50 years old right now and have been living with chronic pain for years. Doing heavy commercial construction for 33 years will do that to you. Theres nothing wrong with having a gazillion projects as long as you don't let the stress kill you.
    It can get stressfull but so is life.
    My problem is , I buy something that is cool and then that type of item becomes my passion untill the next shiney object/ rusty object comes along. I can't stand having singular items. Hence the 2 pool tables, 3 dogs, 2 cats, rabbits, 2 hotrods, 3 musclecars, and many other paired things. Even in construction, I always buy at least 2 of every tool around. I have sold engines and then feel bad about it and bought them back!!!! LOL!!
    I only hope that I outlive my wife as she would have a very hard time dealing with what I leave behind. We have lived in our house for 24 years and have never had to struggle. Luckly, knock on wood, I have always worked so I have always had an income. Sometimes not that much but enough to get by. If I didn't by anything and had no hobbies, I probably could have retired when I was in my 40s. Instead, I live my life and have fun collecting and building things. I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do life over again. I will probably have to work till the day I die but oh well, at least I gave all these items a good home!!!! LOL!!!
    Shaggy , I have hope for you!!!! You are young and show a good A.D.D candidate so far. Give yourself another 27 years and you should be up there with the best of us!!!
    Happy A.D.D.ing!!!:D:eek::mad::confused::rolleyes:;):p:cool:!!!!!!!!

30. You've got stark-raving MAADD...

Middle-Age Attention-something...what was I talking about...look, a bunny!