Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think I got SCREWED!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vivalahotrod, Aug 16, 2010.

1. lorodz

lorodz

if you cant get in touch with the guy just go down pay the back fees and get a clear regi ...case closed no point in trying to go around everything if the truck is legit...i woulda been to the guys house camping out on his lawn for the proper paper work already...

2. nutajunka

nutajunka

They pull that crap here on craigslist all the time. After they e-mail me I ask for a numbers matching title in there name, and most of the time I never hear back from them.

3. Droppedhatch

Droppedhatch

I have had it happen on the other end on a O/T car, the guy was to quick to say, look I have a clean title. To the point that I was unsure if it was really clean, so I did a quick carfax and the car had been in a flood. And that was the reason the guy was so weird about the clean title.

Hope everything works out for you, looks like a sweet c-10.

4. Hmmm, maybe you should take a few friends of mine from Felony Flats (Fontana) with you. It's just down the road from MoVal... Buwahahahahah:D And, no, no, I'm not suggesting anything but a small show of solidarity...

5. RichG

RichG

Bummer, but now you'll never forget the Golden Rule: No Title= No Sale.

6. Lien sale the damn thing and you will find out who the last registered owner is or you will get the title.

7. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

most likely not a big deal, use a registration service, obviously not stolen that would have come up already sounds like he's just title jumping not the end of the world

8. Did you pay with a check? Stop payment and you'd be surprised how quick he contacted you back.

9. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

Good luck hope it all works out its look pretty klean

10. Bummer. I remember when I had bought my 64 chevy truck. Long story short I bought it in indio 2 hours away from me. The guy wasnt the owner but luckily the owner she lived 15 min from me got info from dmv over in indio. I had to pay her some cash blah but it was worth it. Now after 7 years of workin hard on the truck it was traded. BUT i say stick with the truck its looks so clean!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  11. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

Wasnt that thing on ebay?

12. Viva -
    your story is almost a carbon copy of my adventure with my '39, two years ago.

The kid I bought it from never registered it, and had sat on it for about 2-3yrs. DMV told me that although I had a bill of sale from him, he wasn't the "owner of title" (first thought was-damn it's stolen, second thought was punching... up my speed dial to a friend that's a Fresno PD, and making a shop call).

Although I knew where the guy and his dad worked, it was hit and miss for almost a week trying to get a hold of him. When I did get in contact he song and danced about "My BUDDY told me it was non-op; I thought HE transferred everything over; I never checked since I wasn't even close to getting it on the road".

To bring it all around, the kid got his buddy to sign a bill of sale (after another two weeks of "I'm trying to catch him at work 'cause I don't know where he lives" - still wonder if he ever REALLY got him to sign it).

Then the cherry on top came on my next visit to DMV (always get an appt, period.) - there were $548.00 worth of back fees (the clerk just kept punching up numbers, while I kept trying to understand what she was talking about-taxes, back fees, lost registration, lost plates, etc).

Again my face went flush - I finally just stopped her and told her that this vehicle will probably not even see the road for another two years, and all I want to do is non-op it. I told her how the kid kind of scammed me and all the calling and legwork I had to do, etc..
    Hell, I even called the kid right in front of the clerk (and he answered), and told him he owed me or I was bringing the car back.

The clerk finally finished her paperwork, and said..., "That comes to... $75.00" ?! I damned near called FTD floral right then and there.
    True story.

When I left I was still kind of pissed, so I called the kid again and said I wanted the reimbursement now, and either him or his buddy better come up with some way to get it by the end of the week (even though I didn't end up having to pay it, I figured I'd put some stress in his week, and teach him a lesson-hopefully).

So here's hoping all you've got is a guy with the same brain process as my seller.

13. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Dang, just about what I wanted to say, but took a lot of posts to get to this point... ;)

14. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Not in California,...in Ca. even if the original owner is dead, then it has to go through a lein sale, assuming no one has POA on the original owners property.

15. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

well I got a call today from the seller so, so far so good, I should hear something this weekend (hopefully)

Viva

16. 61TBird

61TBird

I'll give you $2900 for it AND pay the back fees...:D

17. 55chevr

55chevr

the seller needs a beating ...

18. Racewriter

Racewriter

Titles are NOT overrated...

19. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Well I got rid of the "Blue Bomber" and recoverd my money then I scored a cherry '60 Apache. Complete with a M-22 tranny and a full compliment of Stewart Warner gauges. It's sitting up at LimeySteves (LimeWorks Speed Shop) waiting for a purrty little V8 to be put between her legs. :cool:

She's even got power brakes and steering. When the Limey gets done with her I get teach the wiffy how to drive:confused:

Can't Wait

Attached Files:

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find it amazing that people would put fake bullet holes and "Do Not Touch" cards on the same vehicle!:confused:

21. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You landed sunny side up on this one. Lucky.

22. choptvan

choptvan

you came out on top with that deal after all! COOL! Good lookin truck.

23. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

looks like it followed you home again. (2nd pic)

24. big bad john

big bad john

Kiss the money good bye

25. koolkat54

koolkat54
    from Visalia Ca

yea it did

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've got a $10 bill that says there is no M-22 in that truck. Every car for sale has an M-22, which incidently is worth about a $1000+ without a shifter. If it doesn't have a T-400 rear spine and yoke (one of the visual id clues) you've either got an M-20 (wide ratio) or a M-21 (close ratio). Have Limey Steve pull the trans and produce some photo evidence and the $10 is on it's way to you. Hell, make it $20 I'm feeling generous.:eek::D

Frank

27. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Did i see the blue bomber & your cherry what ever it is in the same pix .
    Iam glad i live in stuckin .
    IF IT WALKS LIKE A RAT & SMELLS LIKE A RAT ... IT USUALLY IS A RAT.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  28. RichG

RichG

This thread makes me giggle.:D

Attached Files:

29. sololobo

sololobo

Was their any kissing? Bad deal man. Good Luck ~Sololobo~

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As the other guys noticed, I'm gonna call BS on this one. If you got your money back and got rid of it, why is it still sitting there?

And why lie ?

Explain ?