Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think 10% alcohol is trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Timberlake, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Shortly after I resurrected the old V8 plow Scout several years back a hunk of ancient rubber fuel line turned to mush.
    ** Strike 1 , even though I could not be sure if the rubber was really fuel line or not.

In search of better running I put a name brand parts store carb kit in the old Holley on the 2 or 3 years ago. It started and ran pretty good.

This year it took a LOT of cranking to get it going, and did not respond well to the throttle when warmed up. Had the hood open because I primed it with a little gas down the carb throat to reduce cranking. When I went to shut the hood there was a lot of gasoline pooled between the manifold runners on one side. The upper 3/4 of the carb was pretty dry.

Pulled the carb and found the ~3 year old accel pump diaphragm stiff and very cracked.
    ** Strike 2. that area was also Kind of crusty probably from the carb evaporating to dryness a few times each season.

Advance Auto had a genuine Holley diaphragm(135-5?) in a dusty old package on the shelf. Nice and flexible. In some ways I wish it was newer, in case they have modified the recipe for better alcohol resistance.

We'll see if the genuine Holley diaphragm holds up better to modern E10 gas than the first one. I'm thinking I want to talk to Holley about getting a real alcohol diaphragm in case there's a next time.

Attached Files:

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I know its hard on rubber parts. Amoco 93 had no eth. I am not sure if BP does.

3. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

I thought this was a thread about drunks.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I met a Gent who has a restored 32 Packard Roadster last summer who said that the 10% alcohol gas from the gas station cost him a big repair bill for all of the parts in the fuel system that it ate up. This was while he was buying gas at the marina I was at with my boat (no alcohol in it) and carrying it up the ramp to his Packard in 5 gallon Jugs to fill the car up. It is well documented that it's hard on older fuel system parts.

5. rfraze

rfraze

Oregon has a "no alcohol" fuel called clear premium which helps keep small engines alive. It is available in a limited number of stations throughout the state and at a HIGHER price. Use of fuels containing alcohol in ANY small engine is risky at best and greatly shortens it's life. If you have a chainsaw or any small engine, especially air cooled, with problems, guess what. Air/fuel ratios for gasoline and alcohol are significantly different.

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

you are correct ---but isn't this politics?

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There are sooooo many threads on this.

8. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

No. Not yet. Just the millionth alcohol/gas thread. E85 does suck though.

9. Jimm56

Jimm56

Amoco Ultimate is a patented, propriatary fuel. Unfortunately, the EPA requires oxygenates (MTBE or alcohol) Chech with you supplier. Oxygenated gasoline is a scam perpitrated by ADM.

10. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

Wait till they get you buy 15%............thanks ....yomama

11. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Yep, a lot of threads on this. However, I think it's good because everybody should be reminded to check for leaks whenever you start up a car that's been sitting awhile. I had the fuel line melt on my 50 Ford and I've got a Holley leaking at the accel pump right now on another car. Hate the alcohol in the gas.

12. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

OK, I understand the problems with ethonol. BUT, 10% has been around for quite a few years. I'm pretty sure a new or even a ten year old carb kit is designed to handle 10% eth. And I am about POSITIVE that rubber fuel hose that IS fuel hose can handle 10% eth. Now we all know that a rubber fuel hose isnt gonna last forever. Also are older hot rods arn't driven all year around or even every day so of coarse stuff is gonna dryout and rot. Few years back we had a customer come in with a Caddilac he had just bought. it was 1990 eldorado with only a few thousand miles on it. Seems some old guy bought it brand new and then couldn't drive any more and it sat all those years till our customer bought it. He was so proud! It was a "brand new" car he got for cheap!!! It was nice, interior paint, beautiful. But being it sat all those years it was constantly one leak after another, and not just the fuel system either.

13. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Why do these topics keep on coming around every month or two? Where is the dead horse?

If 10% ethanol is so detrimental to small engines, old cars, etc., how come so many of us that use the stuff have not had any major problems. I agree that the quality of gasoline these days is marginal but I don't think that it is the ethanol. The gas seems to get "old" faster then years back and that probably is from the ethanol.

But ethanol is here, most everybody uses it and only a few have problems. Maybe those with the problems should get out and drive their cars rather than hauling them around on trailers.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ouch.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Jesus guys, the commies have been making us subsist on 15% alky for about 15 years now. You change some fuel lines and fiddle a bit with jetting and it's done. What's the problem?

16. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Yeah, ouch. I still say if you haven't run a car for awhile when you do get around to starting it up, do it with the hood up and check for leaks. Maybe you've never had an issue and I hope you don't, but it does happen.

17. cryobug

cryobug

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I drive mine every day and 10% is crap. I CAN tell the difference in the way my car runs. I end up using an additive, I've also had a section of 2 year old fuel line spring a leak AWAY from a fastener or other obtrusion.

19. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The subsidy expired December 31, 2011. The blending mandate is still there. I also don't think the oil companies received the subsidy, it went to the ethanol plants.

20. Ob1

Ob1

At my last mileage check, real gas was 3 cents per mile cheaper than 10% E, despite the price difference. Luckily I have a station selling 3 grades of real gasoline close by.

21. OldFord39

OldFord39
    from Monroe, Wi

Cryobug,
    The subsidy's ended in 2011 the year the article was written. The article has embellished a couple of other facts as well; the input energy BTU vs the BTU output and the water content in ethanol, it has to be less than 1% not the 5% as stated in the article.
    My self if I was to drive a vehicle weekly I would not have a problem with ethanol. If I only drove it a couple times monthly I would try to buy gas without ethanol. Ethanol is more corrosive than gasoline and it does absorb water.

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My 72 Comet has all the original gas lines, coolant hoses, and fuel pump! Nothing has rotted or fallen off..Yes the car is driven in good weather..

23. cryobug

cryobug

Thanks for the update.
    All I have seen from this fuel is bad, higher food cost, less fuel mileage, eats fuel lines, corrodes alum. on and on

24. triumph 1

triumph 1

My cars run ok on the crap. My aircooled motprcycles and chainsaws not so well. I wish there was a real gas station near me I would gladly pay more for good gas. I allready run premium in everying I own, whats a few more cents a gal if you can get it.

25. 63comet

63comet

If you do the math on the 10% ethanaol versus no ethanol fuel, if you ran 100% ethanol they should pay you to fill up.

26. Jimm56

Jimm56

27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Dead horse? Ethanol uses only 3% of the total corn produced in the USA, that's not going to have a big impact on food prices. I ran my last 8 Chevy PUs on E10 and went over 1/2 a million miles and never had an ethanol related breakdown. E10 is the only gas available at our local station so you use a many alcohol compatible parts in your fuel system as are available. E10 is a dime cheaper than unleaded regular in the stations that sell it in the bigger towns in this part of the world.

28. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Smarterfuelfuture.org is a group composed of petroleum-based manufacturers, food industry businesses, and motorized vehicle associations. There is an agenda with their organization and their bias can be seen on their webesite. But, it is on the internet so it has to be true. ;)

Can not wait until next month when this topic is discussed again.

Neal

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  29. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Hi uncle Chet,
    How old would you say that (leaking?) Holley accel pump is?

thanks

Dan T

30. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Just got off the phone with Holley tech. He said the 135-5 should last a while with E10, but they recommend the 135-10 GFLT diaphragm for fuels over 10% alcohol. I asked if other parts in the carb are vulnerable to alcohol fuels. He said next in line is the float needle and seat, but the pump diaphragm is usually the main issue.