Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I see a red door and I want it painted black

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 7, 2018.

1. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going with black on the Stude in my avatar, my neighbor thinks I am crazy, maybe he has already guessed my body work skills aren't that great:(
    I painted the black in a 25 MPH wind because the weather "be a changing" and in Iowa warm days will be in short supply. One thing about black is the ease of finding the dents, etc that you missed after sandblasting the paint, epoxy primer, primer surfacer and then the black base coat. Anybody can hire a skilled craftsman to make a car look great, I just want to do it myself, sort of like what my granddaughter says! My wife likes the black too. IMG_1869.JPG

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Depends on what you want the car to be I suppose
    To me theres as much difference between gloss black, semi gloss/satin black,or flat black as there is difference in colors, and my preference between them would go in that same order depending on the car, what I wanted it to be and how rough or straight the car was......It would be hard "for me" to go from a shiney white to satin black even if it does need a few places fixed, also if all those jambs would need painting again would also be a consideration in how deep I was wanting to get into it. However this car with those wheels and stance might look cool semi gloss black even tho it might be considered a little bit of yesterdays trend
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

When I see a car for sale that is an unusual color, I usually say, "they should have painted it black.....somebody would have bought it already".

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Some trim down the side might break it up a bit too if you like white at all
    upload_2018-10-7_20-42-2.jpeg

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  5. black, by definition is the "lack of color" but a shiny black finish is actually all the colors around it........
    skidley eight million colors in the world and you pick black? it better be shiny...... LimoReflect1 copy.jpg LimoReflect2 copy.jpg LimoReflect3 copy.jpg LimoReflect4 copy.jpg
    58 caddy

CudaChick1968, wingnutz, LBCD and 9 others like this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

^^^^^Nothing reflects like Black!:cool:

7. When you can buy a new car in satin black or grey (which you can from several makers), you know it's dead for the cool kids.

How about amber, a rich amber like a full flavored ale? Or a dark chestnut porter?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I hear a sitar.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. there's a red house over yonder........

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

This song brings back memories......
    I used to sing it when I was with the band "Midrange"..... :):rolleyes:

CudaChick1968 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

I like both colors...... Black on red....:):rolleyes:

CudaChick1968 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. F&J

F&J

I sure as shit didn't "turn my head" when I came around the corner in my metallic TEAL colored 32 about a week ago here in town. (they actually were blocking the road, so I pulled into a lot). You can see my car in the bottom of this pic. The "darkness" he sang of..., maybe was the hair color?o_O:confused:
    DSCN1651.JPG

I have had lots of collector cars over the years, and around here, the "casual everyday observers" really want to see a bright color. Not one of my former cars, even the mint black 56 BelAir 2dr HT, ever got so many comments on the color of this one...and it's not even shiny.

and yes,..I kinda like living here:oops:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't come by our house; the front door is red and we don't want it black.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. cavman

cavman

I've never heard anyone say "I wish I'd have painted it yellow" or blue, or green....I own 4 black vehicles now, down from six a few years ago. Yeah, I like black. That being said, I think the '32 might not be, but it sure won't be yellow.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Interesting question, both cars offer a completely different driving experience.

The '32 Ford has been my favorite hot rod since I was 12 years old and I have went through several deuces in the past but the old sedan ain't going anywhere. I feel like a kid every time I get behind the wheel.

I just love driving the old beater!

The Wagon is Brenda's car but I do get to drive it and it offers a completely different experience with a smoother ride and the fun of rowing through the gears.

The wagon also has creature comforts like a nice interior, heat & air and it is extremely comfortable especially on extended road trips.

I enjoy driving both cars and they are as different than night and day. HRP

CudaChick1968 and 50 customcoupe like this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

The last thing I ever want is a black vehicle! I don't want the work attached to getting them straight enough to look good. I don't want the work attached to keeping them looking good, and I enjoy driving them way too much to be concerned about a scratch or ding ruining a car.
    I think the my next hot rod is going to be Omaha Orange, since the paint is sitting here. Gene

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When your first car was black you hold the fond memory as one would their first love.
    Wouldn't mind having one of them again.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. I've owned two black vehicles in my lifetime(both off topic here);a 1982 Mustang GT (my first new car)and a 1991 GMC Syclone pickup. Although I can appreciate a black custom or rod I would never want to own one. Too much work to keep clean(I hate cleaning cars)and the dreaded "paint chip troll" is always lurking about. To paraphrase Mr. Ford:" You can have ANY color you want .... as long as it ISN'T black!"

50 customcoupe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. My '32 roadster was Orange and me living within 20 miles of Clemson University all I ever heard was your a Clemson fan, or when we were in Tennessee you must be a Vol's fan or on and on depending which state I was in, no one ever made the collegiate assumptions when we are driving a black car. :D HRP

50 customcoupe likes this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

HRP, an orange deuce just seems wrong to me.

Gary

50 customcoupe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. I think had the roadster been painted black I might still be driving it. :rolleyes: HRP

upload_2018-10-8_10-56-27.jpeg

22. The first thing I noticed was the girl with one leg.:cool: HRP

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  23. topher5150

topher5150

once ya go black, ya don't go back

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. that's Eileen.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. You ain't right! :DHRP

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

All my cars are black.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

My first 5.0 was black. (1988) and I ordered it with no air.... That was a mistake. :mad::rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. And noting absorbs heat like black! ;) HRP

Deuces likes this.
  29. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I want both.
    Working on this truck at the moment, it is original black paint on the truck, just to poor condition to save.
    I already purchased a gallon of black for the paint ....I keep waking up at 2:00 am and wanting the truck cab red, while the bed and running boards are black. The way the factory would have done it if it was a red truck. All beds were black unless special ordered paint.
    IMG_20181008_152340444.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  30. hey Danny, i painted the door both red and black. IMG_1877.JPG

Deuces and wingnutz like this.