Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I SEE A PICKUP AND I WANT IT PAINTED BLACK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 3, 2021.

?
  1. Base/Clear

34.8%
  2. Single Stage

65.2%
  1. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Having shot two 356 Porsche's recently, That is a Very accurate statement...
    Seriously... I love fulthane, But Not when I have to shoot both over again!
    Reason being these cars don't have anywhere to break, An round as a damn ball...
    PS: off topic yes, But this is fulthane, Not an issue, but pretty flat compared to earlier mentioned

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021

2. TRUTH!!!! I love the stuff. Can't get the same stuff that was here in the early mid 2000's (still have some) and haven't used the new stuff. But, if it's the same it can make an okay painter have a great paint job in lots of colors.

Another thing is to get good quality primer and paint if you want a top notch finish. I used PPG non budget acrylic urethane and it came out great for me, if you wanted super glass you can cut/buff.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  3. desotot

desotot

In 1975 I had a 59 Cadillac Limo painted black enamel.
    In 1985 I had a 50 Lincoln coupe painted black acrylic enamel
    In 2013 I had my 49 Merc coupe painted black base clear.
    I think black is a pita to keep clean, however I have started 2 more mercs and I can't imagine a better color than black, although I think I will consider single stage in the future..

4. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

SlamIam, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

By the way Billy, check out TAMCO paint out of VA. Family owned business. Good stuff. Tell Tammy, Chris For Dust Bowl Speed sent you. That should double the price.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am more worried about the liquid that will run down my legs if I screw this up!

Yeah, I have been following your thread. Solvent pop is tricky, I guess the name of the game is patience between coats.

Beautiful paint on that Elky.

Amen! All of my daily driver trucks have been black and I haul a black enclosed car trailer. Black may be more work but well worth it!

Nope, but I will today. Thanks

I will add them to the list to contact once I know what it is I am buying! Double the price? Perhaps I will wait to mention your name until she gives me the price.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is TAMCO single stage urethane. Never buffed. As is.

upload_2021-11-4_13-15-28.jpeg

fauj, kidcampbell71, Blues4U and 7 others like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks sharp. Funny, I was listening to The Ventures on the garage stereo last night and the first song on the tape was Apache 59

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  9. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

8 Track?? :rolleyes::D

Roothawg and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only 8 track I have in my Olds. This was cassette. :cool:

fauj, Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  11. I voted single stage. Base coat clear coat is probably a better deal but I have seen too many show cars that the paint actually turned me off. It just does not look "right" to me.

You have to be careful with black paint. Most of is is not true black it either has a red or blue hue to it. I prefer the blue if I cannot find a true black. Finding the proper hue will take a little research.

I got an idea that the last tidbit does not make much difference to anyone but someone like me. Being color challenged makes some things like that stand out for some reason. ;)

Note: this is for @Bandit Billy only. I think I may have enough DuPont Diamond Black acrylic lacquer to do your dash if you want it. 7 coats hand rubbed over black primer makes it so deep its like you are lost in a dream. ;)

rod1, -Brent-, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! I was lost in a dream last night where I was hanging wallpaper, woke up with a hand full of paste. Weird.

fauj, Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  13. message me. I got some left over from painting my bike. I think probably a quart or so. ;)

-Brent-, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Ewwwww.

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  15. belair

belair

Single stage. Old school gloss. Bccc if you want the wet look. I would go single stage. But the truck will look dynamite no matter what.

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Whatever you do, keep this thread updated. I have learned a bunch.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate your positive enthusiasm! I have a bit more work to do on the bed before I pull the trigger (pun) on the paint job. A bit more time to change my mind a few more times.

I will. I enjoy paint threads especially when you get real experience from both the shop pros and the garage guys.

Remember on Star Trek when they stole Spocks brain and McCoy had to put on that thinking hat so he could perform the brain replacement operation?
    The HAMB is kinda like that. I get a lot of info here, enough to operate. Damnit Jim, I'm a mortgage guy not a car painter!

18. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

This is DCC9300 single stage PPG product that I used 1-shot lettering paint on then clear coated the whole thing. It’s the best looking rate car we had. I have done yellow, red, white, orange cars but this one really pops. I used a black sealer under it, the right color sealer makes all the differences in the final cast. White sealer under red makes it brighter, red sealer under red gives it a maroon cast . And black sealer under red makes it really darker. Spray some test panels with different sealer then top coat them with the same color paint let dry and view in natural sun light and you will have 3 different colors. 1C0ADBE8-9449-4CD1-BD01-2BEADB27A675.jpeg

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My dad used PPG DMD1683 'Basecoat Black' under DCU2021 clear on my Chrysler. I've never heard anyone say it wasn't black enough. :)

I'm not necessarily advocating b/c over single stage, but I wanted to relieve your fear that b/c might somehow be less black.

fauj, dwollam, Desoto291Hemi and 4 others like this.
  20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

If you have a very clean controlled garage, then shoot BC, Most garages are not clean enough for that, crap gets in the paint etc... Single stage, just sand down and polish out any imperfections, you just have to lay enough layers on to give you room to cut and buff if you want perfection.

A good single stage can be made to look better than any BC job just due to the way the paint seems to shine better.

Hell I still love seeing old lacquer paint jobs, shined up and cracked everywhere.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That does look good! I plan to shoot the truck in a black sealer. In fact I was told to use the same black epoxy that I started with just thin it a bit. If I recall the mix it is was 2:1:.5

I have marveled at your pictures of that Chrysler before. It looks like it is wearing a tuxedo.

I would have thought the reverse on that, Single stage being more prone to picking up dirt as every coat is sticky. Anyway, I have a controlled booth I am going to use so there shouldn't be any contaminants or dirt.

22. squirrel

squirrel

I can't help on the paint, but I did see the Stones over the weekend in Las Vegas, and they did play Paint it Black.

Great show.

now, back to your regularly scheduled program

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Roothawg
    I followed your lead, gun showed up last night. I purchased it with a SS cup and regulator but those won't be here for a few more days. No excuses if this paint job doesn't turn out!
    upload_2021-11-19_11-8-39.png

Stogy, kidcampbell71, fauj and 3 others like this.
  24. JimSibley

JimSibley

Base coat, clear coat! I can not express this enough. Its easier to spray, dries faster, which means less dirt, less time for runs. Also it is easier to fix, and easier to buff. Ihave been painting professionally for 30 years, and I have done hundreds of cars in single stage and thousands in base ,clear.

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Jim! Do you have a favorite black?

26. Budget36

Budget36

Dang, just as the song was getting out of my head, it’s back!

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  27. JimSibley

JimSibley

The blackest black will be straight black toner. Paint code#040 by dodge is pretty much just straight black toner, so is chevy #9800. Ford puts a lot of yellow in thier black, which kills the true black look and makes it more of a very dark brown. If you want true black, just use the dodge 040.

28. And tradition has now left the building. Guess I'll go buy me a hell cat and say fuck it.