Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I SEE A PICKUP AND I WANT IT PAINTED BLACK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 3, 2021.

?
  1. Base/Clear

34.8%
  2. Single Stage

65.2%
  1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am nearing painting time on my 41 Ford PU. It will be black, gloss black, no metallics. I haven't painted a complete car in 25 years and I need to do some product research, and you'all are my brain trust so to speak.

Before anyone states the obvious yes, I looked for threads that would help me but they are old and I need up-to-date information on what is available today not 10 years ago. Vote your option above and offer your explanation/advice please. Also, is there a killer black paint out there? I see House of Kolor has a Boulevard Black. DuPont, Omni, Diamont? I had a painter buddy recommend BASF B/C with a fast hardener (42) and a slow reducer (60). Glamor Clear? Single stage and add clear on the final couple coats? I am not looking for cheap, I need quality results from a non professional painter. Pics help although black is hard to capture on camera.

This is going to be painted in my garage in a pressurized inflatable booth. Garage is heated 65-75 F. 5HP, 80 Gallon Compressor, Ingersoll Rand Electronic Air Cooler, plus desiccant system so no moisture in the system. I haven't purchased a new gun (other than 9mm) in 25 years so I will take recommendations on that as well. I have a couple HVLP guns that were nice a couple decades ago. I plan to paint the cab and doors first, then fenders, then bed. Once the truck is reassembled I will fit and paint the hood so bear that in mind in regard to paint/color matching.

So let's hear it, what say ye, O painters on the HAMB?

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I wanna see it painted
    Painted black
    Black as night
    Black as coal

swade41, catdad49, Budget36 and 8 others like this.
  3. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

Are there limitations on what type of paint you can buy in your state? Some stuff can't be bought by individuals in California, and Washington isn't too much different I would think.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. I wanna see the sun
    Blotted out of the sky

catdad49, loudbang, SS327 and 4 others like this.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Base coat /clear coat . Use a high solids clear. Since I don’t have a real paint booth, I generally spray 2 coats and let it stand for a week or so. Then I wet sand it with 600 grit, then spray one last coat of clear. Then your basic color sanding applies.

I am a SATA guy, but I am impressed with my latest purchase. The IWATA LPH-400. Nice gun for the money.

loudbang, BJR, Bandit Billy and 3 others like this.
  6. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

Find a local paint shop and go ask the guy there the same questions you ask here. I trust the guy running my local shop more than I trust the internet. He also has the advantage of going to industry seminars and speaking to manufacturers reps on a regular basis.

Landmule and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

Nason single stage gloss black for the win!

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Personally, the "look" of single stage is my vote.

9. I'm a base coat/clear coat kinda guy. HRP

10. Billy ,
    I’m really surprised to be honest .
    After seeing your hot rod with the blown flathead and it’s elegant color scheme .
    And seeing your steering wheel for this truck in all its glory,,,,,, I was anticipating some color combo that I had never dreamed of .

Don’t get me wrong,,,,I like black ,,,and it will be beautiful.
    But,, with all the work you had put in on this build,,,I was looking for an Epiphany .
    This will be a great truck none the less .

Tommy

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have access to a "Professionals Only" store so I get most stuff.
    My roadster is base/clear and so is my 442 (that one is 25 years old and still standing tall...well, from 10 feet).

I have applied both but I used to spray quite a bit of Centari back in the day with a clear kit mixed in.
    I did and got even more confused. Everyone is spraying water based B/C it seems at least the two local shops I asked. I figure "paint an old car with old products, ask old painters for their opinions"
    I understand that completely. They do have different looks and the single stage would suit my truck, thus the dilemma.

I read on-line that, other than toe-nail fungus is a sign of colon cancer, that also base clear is easier to apply to round vehicles while single stage is easier on flat bodies. I have thought a lot about that comment and I suppose it is a coverage vs run thing? Any thoughts on that (not the nail fungus part)?

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And I did consider it! As late as last week while blocking the roof I was considering a lace and cool ass paint scheme on top. But I keep coming back to a shiny black truck with thin white panel striping. That panel stripe thread on here really got my juices flowing.

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Follow your gut, it will never let you down.

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

black with white panel striping, I fucking love that!!!!!

15. It will be great Billy ,,I’m certain .
    Gloss black,,,,,and all the shiny stuff you are known for !

Tommy

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not cheap but the reviews are stellar! Do you know what they are talking about regarding Orange cap, purple and clear I assume it is needle size? You said 1.3 which is what most clears recommend. What are these colors all about?

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Don’t get caught up in all the colors of caps. I have a 1.4. I use it for color and clear.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This? Not sure about the 144Lv in the part number. Sorry to bother but at this price I need to make sure I am ordering the right gun.
    upload_2021-11-3_14-41-1.png

loudbang likes this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

That’s the exact gun I have.

I have converted to the bags instead of the cup. The jury is still out in those. They do use all of the paint, but I had a mishap with mine over the weekend while I was painting my dad’s El Camino. Dumped a lot of clear on the floor. My fault? Maybe….but I have never done it with the standard cup

20. With straight black single stage is the way to go IMO. BC/CC looks washed out with black as there is not colour right at the surface. Black looks especially modern with BC/CC and doesn't belong on old vehicles.

21. I've had conversations with several paint guys where black is the subject and while discussing the many 'black' formulations, several said that BMW has a very true black black.

22. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i think you need to talk to mick before making a decision !!

Budget36 and loudbang like this.
  23. millersgarage

millersgarage

being a solid color i would go Single Stage. Metallics need to be bc/cc

What i have found is that it is difficult to find a true black, most end up looking like a really dark brown. House of Color's black was the blackest black at one point.

silent rick, loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  24. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Billy, just turn your head until the darkness goes.

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely! The brown issue is played out on every web site about finding a good black. Some do spray outs on clear lexan and hold them to the sun to see the color difference and some are definitely brown. That is to be avoided.

loudbang likes this.
  26. -Brent-

-Brent-

I am really interested in this thread. My curiosity piqued when I heard black paint with white panel striping - that's the plan for my coupe.

Now, consider the source, since I know less than probably everyone in this thread... I will be painting my car, too, and I have been recommended by folks who've sprayed a lot of paint on hot rods to go single stage to get the 60s look I want.

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

There's nothing wrong with single stage. I just figure if you are going black, it needs to be shiny and bc/cc would give a ton of depth.

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And that is part of the dilemma here, single stage has a good look but harder to apply. B/C looks modern as @K13 said above but easier for a hack like me to get good results plus it is easiest to fix.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  29. Single stage, but church it up and shoot it with acrylic urethane. Put an extra coat on it, then if needed, you can color sand and buff it. Tried to crop this picture to rid of the off topicness, but this is acrylic urethane, 2000 grit cut and buff. Screenshot_20211103-191045_Gallery.jpg

Blues4U, loudbang, 40FORDPU and 4 others like this.
  30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I vote bc/cc too... the base coat dries fast which is important in a garage paint job, just gotta make sure no colored dirt gets in the clear.... PPG 9700 has always been black enough for me