Register now to get rid of these ads!

I ruined my car.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kurt, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Kurt

Kurt

so says the wife. She came home from work yesterday and lost it when she saw what i did while she was at work. She thinks it looks like a 4x4. Ha! I just took it back to the way it was years ago when it ran a built straight 6. It only sits 18" at the rockers and 48" at the top of the rear fenders. Just about right if i do say so myself. Street freak gasser will be on the loose soon. Hopefully for the Pile-up in three weeks. Opinions please,is it right on or too much.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. [ QUOTE ]
    She thinks it looks like a 4x4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but she's right.

3. CRAP

CRAP

I love gassers but that car needs to sit 1/8" at the rockers

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

photo shop slicks and skinys on the front and then lets see it again. thats going to make a massive difference

5. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Yep, have to agree, tires and wheels are what makes a gasser look like a gasser.

6. Eggsactly.......and no keystones with white letter tires for me. I know, I know.......thats' what we did in the 70's but .................no. Just, no..sorry.

7. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

I think it's "Right On".

I called my wife over to look at it. She says, "It's fine... looks like something from the 50's"

Can't go wrong with that.

[BTW, she also said the only other thing it needs it to shoot flames, but I think that's just my influence. [​IMG]]

Go with it!

8. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

how did you jack it up?

9. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

[ QUOTE ]
    "It's fine... looks like something from the 50's"

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Radius the rear fenders and drop the back a bit. The old gasser stance was nose high for weight transfer, and yeah loose the keystones and get some piecutters on the back. I like it because it isn't just another belly draggin wannabe custom. I have always liked gassers although that isn't the body style that many gassers used I don't think.

11. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Yup... whith the right wheels... this thing will look tits!

What's wrong with a slightly different bodystyle to do a gasser???

See ya at the Pileup!

12. Now all you need is a couple 7 foot whip antennaes and some Yosemite Sam mudflaps.

13. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

take some outta the rear springs, some whitewall slicks, some mag wheels and your right on there! maybe also a scoop but just do what ya want.

14. As If you'd give a shit [​IMG]......I think it would benefit from some 5" blocks/or remount rear to lower the rear then a change of wheels and tires[skinnys front and STRIP MEATS on painted steel rears....THEN you gots a gasser [​IMG]..........Otherwise ya got a street freak from the mid to late sixties!

15. TINGLER

TINGLER

Its a GASSER INVASION. Oh man, gassers are the new "flat black and red wheels".........COOL. Before long Samiyam's tag line will say "Gassers suck" [​IMG] Mine will say... Street Freaks rule.

Personally, I'm going for more of an "ass down" look, but I also dig the so called "4X4" look. I've seen plenty of fine examples of both genres. So first off....I dig your car. I would put some fatter meats on the back and some skiiiinnnnnny wheels up front, but its obvious you're not done yet, so we can't really judge it yet...right. Its like people looking at one of my art works before its done and trying to tell me what needs changed.....

Anyhow.
    Some inspiration for ya.....
    I don't know where I stole these pics, but I stole them. I think they may have come from BYRON'S GASSER MADNESS site. Check it out. Its a cool place.

Oh yeah, who says a gasser has to be a certain body style? Cause its NOT TRUE. Its like saying you can't make a "hot rod" out of anything other than a '32 Ford. [​IMG]

Tha pic.

[​IMG]

16. TINGLER

TINGLER

'Nutha pic for inspiration....

[​IMG]

17. Donzie

Donzie

[ QUOTE ]
    Radius the rear fenders and drop the back a bit. The old gasser stance was nose high for weight transfer, and yeah loose the keystones and get some piecutters on the back....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, what he said. I agree with your wife, people are gonna think it's a 4X4.
    This one sits pretty right. Have your wife look at this and see what she says

Attached Files:

18. Tony

Tony

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know where I stole these pics,

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha..
    Von Tingler,i took both of them this summer at the Lancaster Nostalgia drags here in NY..
    Man you shoulda seen that orange one run..man was it fast!
    455 olds and a stick!
    Then again, all 3 were fast! and sticks [​IMG]

Anyway
    I dig the way your going with yours. I have to agree, the wheels don't look good *to me*.

There was a article written in R/C a little while ago with a bunch of different build pics of 53-54's.
    One was a gasser and it looked damn cool!

Good luck with it.

Rat.......

19. Yup. Roont it just like the little woman said.

I could be wrong though… it's happened before. But I think it looks like a monster truck.

Shouldn't waste a 2 door on this kind of clowning. That's why 4 doors are cheaper and more plentiful.

20. Kurt

Kurt

The car was built in the late 60's and not on the road in about 30 years. Itis lifted with 4" I beam between the frame and crossmember. The rear is just sitting under the springs for more lift nothing has been welded yet. I had to pull it out to remount, it was a fucking mess with lugnuts for spacers and so. The wheels i had laying around and just threw them on to get rid of the stockers. The rear will sit back on the springs for instant 4"drop and then go from there. It will be nose high. What had skinny steel wheels i could get for the front?

21. plan9

plan9

it looks like a 4x4.

i dig gassers too, but not all of them looked cool.

22. TINGLER

TINGLER

Don't fear the 4X4 look.
    It can look pretty cool too.

I feel a car like this is to a "gasser" as to what a "Kustom" is to a "Hot Rod"...Oh, who gives a damn? Just make yours bad ass and drive the hell out of it! [​IMG]

and remember....the 4X4 look ain't wrong either. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Yeah! JOE DIRT!

24. TINGLER

TINGLER

PakRat32...

Hope you don't mind me using your pics. [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. plan9

plan9

[ QUOTE ]
    What had skinny steel wheels i could get for the front?

[/ QUOTE ]

check out the book Gasser Wars... if you havent already. some really cool ideas for combos.

for the fronts, couldnt you just run some cut down (along their width) steelies?

26. Tony

Tony

Hell no man!!
    No worry's at all..

There's way to many real things to upset us..these are just pics..
    Actually, i'm glad you liked em enough to save em. [​IMG]

Rat...

27. DrJ

DrJ

I think the current "fad" of gasser-posers has already lasted longer than the original short lived "fad".
    Put it on the ground and cruise it.
    Wive's are almost always right. Irritating, but true.
    [​IMG]

28. Gaspumps, the ride looks bicthen', Man!

It reminds me of the old Revell '53 Chevy box art.

In Chicagoland the Straight-Axled look hit it's zenith in'69 to '70. Even though all the cars running around were inspired by the A/FX-Gasser cars, they were always referred as "Straight-Axled" cars. The scene finally bit the dust about 1975.

I've been trying to find some pics I have from my car clubs' car wash from 1975 that will blow all the Gasser freaks away. Stay tuned.

Joel [​IMG]

29. slammed

slammed

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't fear the 4X4 look.
    It can look pretty cool too.

I feel a car like this is to a "gasser" as to what a "Kustom" is to a "Hot Rod"...Oh, who gives a damn? Just make yours bad ass and drive the hell out of it! [​IMG]

and remember....the 4X4 look ain't wrong either. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Best post on this topic. Encouraging. Neat stuff,mister.

30. badpat

badpat

please post a pic of your mullet [​IMG]