Register now to get rid of these ads!

I now own a HAMB freindly car!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

That is pretty cool. What are the plans man?

2. redroaddog

redroaddog

x2 then make a cool kustom.....dave:d

3. So am I correct in thinking that since that's pretty close to being a war time car that all of the black painted trim came that way???

4. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

Prob just some dumbass painted it black

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not only a HAMB friendly car, but a very unique car! Don't let the SBC haters make you feel bad about the engine. Nothing wrong with a SBC in a HAMB friendly car.

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Congrats! It already looks sectioned, now it needs a chop and a shave. Awesome rod material.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Plans are get brakes fixed, tires on, check all the lights and wiring, and drive it while I do the few things needed to the body. Still finding out a lot about what has already been done or undone. From what I have found out, the black was factory chrome, although one old timer told me yesterday that some early 46's were painted because they didn't have any chrome because of the war. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about, but he was there, I wasn't.... For now, it will get painted metallic silver and clear coated. I want to go back chrome, so I will be looking for some better pieces to re-chrome. Will probably lose the wing on the trunk and move the tag to the bumper. And for sure the over riders are gonna come up missing from the bumpers!

I'm not a Chevy fan, but I'm going to dress up the engine with some old style Cal Custom valve covers and probably get an aluminum intake for now, just leave it as is for now. Later I'd like to swap the Chevy for a 302 or 351W with an AOD, this will be a driver. Oh yeah, gotta add AC for the wife, will probably go with Saginaw power steering and tilt column down the road. The insides have already been redone, probably will go ahead and replace the carpet as it looks kinda shabby. And a good cleaning!:D It's been sitting up a while, and everything inside is yuky right now, but with a little 409 and some elbow grease should look fine.

As to where I found it, it was listed on Craigslist. Small dealer/collector had it. He has several HAMB friendly cars, just this one caught my eye because it's different. If you look from the beltline up, you can see 40 Ford styling. I like the comment that people will be asking about my custom 48 Ford.....I figure I will probably have the only one wherever I go!

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I seriously doubt Lincoln would put out a '46 with black trim...besides, WHY wasn't the rest of the trim on the car black then too...??? The chrome problem existed in the early '40's...not late. (It looks to me like there is chrome under that paint.) After the war the factories would have been first to put the chrome shops back into operation.

That Lincoln coupe is semi-rare, that's a great example you've found but you may not find a lot of extra trim parts for it...a lot of that trim was pot-metal...You said you were going to paint the bumpers, etc....and that's good...but powder coating might get you a better look for the bumpers and other trim too...and it's tuffer than paint for rock chips.

Congrats on the purchase...

R-

9. I just finished putting a 9" rear axle in my 48 Lincoln Continental and it was a lot of work fitting the 4 bars into the frame. (it's really close to the ground) I ended up channeling them into the frame. I don't see any radius rods or parallel leafs on the 8" rear in yours. How is it held in?

Also the windshield and door mounting posts frame on Continentals is a huge cast aluminum assembly. Not sure if coupes are the same. If you want to chop it expect some work. Check around the windshield with a magnet.

Nice looking car. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

10. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Lincoln's were ford's answer to Cadillac they were not cheap cars the trim was chrome or stainles and the car was built after the war and all the fords had chrome on them that year. Get your wallet out for all that chrome it's not going to be cheap AND I tryed to put clear over silver and had no luck it flattened out the silver to gray . Nice car and find you will most likely have the only one at the shows. Jack

11. Beau

Beau

It looks like a sectioned car. Interesting ride. Looks like fun.

Found on Google.

[​IMG]

12. 50styleline

50styleline

Cool score. Keep us posted

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I've never seen one either, but I like it! I love odd rods!

14. I had one in the Autorama in 1958. Had a big Lincoln flathead V8 with edmonds heads, Isky Cam 4 barrell and duals exhausts coming out those side pipes. I would beat a new Ford, but not a Chevy.
    Chrome blackout was 1942, by the time your car was made, the war was over. Lotsa chrome and expensive. I would consider trading my cherry 1994 Ford 150 pickup with just 70,000 miles.
    Notice the flamed fender skirts.

Attached Files:

15. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Check out bgbdlinc's car! It's a badass custom built from one these cars.

16. The pink car is chopped, not sectioned.

17. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

No.

18. dmw56

dmw56

Nice car Bama. Clean it up fix the safety issues and drive it for now. I would eventually restore the chrome on the car. They did come with skirts you should see if you

I don't think they are that rare? I had and sold 3 of those 3 years ago a Club Coupe, a 4 door Sedan, and a Continental Convertible.

19. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

First time for me seeing one of these, I love it!

20. Kinky6

Kinky6

Nice score, BamaMav!

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

21. Great car! Congrats! I have to admit I haven’t seen one of those before, but I have seen the door buttons before.

22. Smokey2

Smokey2

Congrats on your swap.........I believe you did gooder.

Like the Ad Sez.........."Nothing Finer"

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, the safety stuff is first and foremost. I want to be able to cruise it safely before I start the bodywork.

I figured the guy was wrong on the black out on chrome in 46. But hey, he's an old guy, and I respect my elders. All the ones I had seen in pics had chrome except one, and it was painted black like mine. So, you listen to what you hear, but verify if it's truth or not.

And for whoever asked, the rear spring has been changed to parallel leafs.

24. docmike

docmike

That is kind of odd in a cool sort of way. The only reason I say it is odd is because the lines of this car are not what we're used to seeing. This is definitely a car that will look like a custom without doing a lot of custom work. A little off the top, adjust the stance for the tail dragger look, a set of skirts, maybe a coat of H.O.C. Pagan Gold, a set of wide whites and hubcaps of your choice and re-chrome every piece of trim the factory put on that high-end car....even the bumper overriders. But I wouldn't dream of telling someone how to build their car.
    Doc

25. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Bgbdlinc's car...

Attached Files:

26. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

You made a great trade and I love the car!!! I have seen a few sedans but not the coupes.

Billy

27. dmw56

dmw56

Sold this 47 Club Coupe I sold 3 years ago. No black out this one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wish I had the brightwork off of that one!:D

29. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thats an ole boat that needs to float,way cool car,good luck,keep us posted.I've never seen one before

30. That thing is sexy as hell!!!!! It's got tail dragger written all over it.