Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I need to know? Gm generators with tach drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Dec 11, 2011.

1. jimvette59

jimvette59

Dale can you post a picture of your generator and mount on the engine.

2. squirrel

squirrel

nope, they last used it in 59, as best I can tell. I know 61 had a normal PS pump.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Saxman, have you been living on Mars?? GM also had Generator driven power steering.

4. Ole don

Ole don

The 58 Vette I had had the generator driven tach. It worked OK, but was not accurate at high RPMs.

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

6. Yes I can but won't be able to get to it today. It looks like I have a few options here.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, whoopee, this just keeps getting better.:(:D I think the cast iron corvette tach drive distributor is looking better & better. maybe I will run across the right generator somewhere, but this is starting to sound like a white elephant hunt.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Paul, whats that from?

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So a late fifties Cad, Buick or Olds will also have what I am looking for?

10. i sold a power steering pump and generator on e-gay a while back or $80, so they shouldn't be to expensive. you might want to check with the boys over on the www.tri-five.com site. they all convert to modern power steering. so you might find the generator there then go to corvette central for the tach drive.

11. If I remember correct the 55-61 Vette generators had slightly different offset end plate for mounting due to the motor plate engine mount. I think the solid lifter Corvettes got a larger pulley too.

Also found on some V8 1958 50's series trucks/bus. Boats and industrial too.

Early 1980's, I'd buy Chevy p/s gens for $25, remove p/s, sell to Corvette guy for $75.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I have a 57 generator with the spline, but I'm kinda saving it for a friend's project. There are several on ebay for sale by speculators, I expect you could find one at a big swap meet for a reasonable price too.

A few years ago at a swap meet, I found a couple tach drive transisor ignition distributors for ten bucks a piece....you never know. But you gotta know what you're looking for.

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

ih v8

14. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

i got a gm generator in garage that has a power steering pump on it.... wondering if its the same drive????probably from same years.....k

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hell, I have been on your website about a dozen times over the years, used your '66 AHRA rulebook to actually get the best of Phil Elliott in a friendly debate about sixties drag racing (And let me tell you, THAT doesnt happen often) Never put it together with you till now! I will have to check out that Cragar catalog, cool stuff there!

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Paul. Looks kinda like the early two-piece, tach drive corvette unit.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks for the tip Scotty. This has turned into a pretty interesting thread.

18. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

I would check to see what the calibration of your tachometer is before making a purchase. If it is a Stewart Warner, the calibration is likely 2:1, twice cable speed. If I am not mistaken, the Corvette generator drive was a 1:1 calibration.
    Most tachometers are 2:1 to reduce internal wear. I would consider the crank drive adaptation available from Pegasus Racing. I believe it to be less expensive than a tach drive distributor or a combination of generator purchase with tachometer recalibration.

19. What ever became of this???

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why would anyone want to use a cable operated tach? This is 2017 and plenty of electric retro tachs are available with more accuracy.

Gary

21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Wow

jebbesen likes this.
  22. sunbeam

sunbeam