Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some old school antitheft tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jleavesl, Mar 24, 2011.

1. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

I work out of town and was off last week. When I'm home I drive my 50 pretty regularly and accidentally ran out of gas in my neighborhood... Since I felt safe there, I let the old girl sit for a day or two and just walked home. Sunday night, I went to fill her up with gas and then realized I had a flat. I picked up some fix a flat and my gf and I were airing up the front tire when I saw her fall backwards and then found myself on my back with a gun in my face. After the startled yell, and being told to "Shut the fuck up and give me your keys, wallets, and cellPhones", I complied. I handed him the massive wad of keys I carried as well as my iPad and the rest of what he demanded. My gf held onto her keys and he fiddled with her ignition for a bit but was unable to start it. They left and fired two rounds in the process. So this guy (or guys) have my address (stolen wallet) and keys. The car is disabled right now By means you wouldn't figure out unless you spent as much time with her as I did (by means I won't mention on the off chance he is reading this forum as it is a favorite on my iPad) and my PTSD suffering exroommate is residing in my house with loaded guns in every room (literally). The house is rekeyed and I've taken to carrying my beretta with me. Aside from my unconventional wiring tricks, and removing key components when in long term storage... What can I do? It's a distinctive car and when I'm home I driveit like a daily.

2. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

I meant to ask what can I do to protect it?

3. 69fury

69fury

hard to make a car truly theft proof. If someone wants it bad enough, they'll get it. Low jack can be nice- there's a thread somewhere here about using a cheap cell phone for a home brewed lowjack-pretty crafty-hide it and wire it to be continuously plugged in/charged...

as for the house- cameras both visible and hidden- very well visible, and very well hidden + alarm system. glad you guys weren't hurt by a thug w/ a gun- good deal on changing all locks.

dont booby trap the car- razorblades behind the dash, etc- it's illegal and you can get prosecuted and even sued by the thief (which is bs, but it's the law).

rick.

4. cavman

cavman

use a doberman named "Chainsaw"...

5. Only advise i can give, is move to a nicer area.
    Fact is, if they really want your car, they'll get it.
    Good luck.

6. AssGasket

AssGasket

My boss's son was showing me his I-Phone's neat features (makes my tracfone look like a pretty huge piece of shit)...

There is a way to get online and track the phone... It will show you the exact location on something similar to a google map... Also,, you can disable it online and send a personalised message that will display until you enter your security code.....

7. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

The only real protection is a good insurance policy. As said earlier, any deterant just keeps an honest person honest, it won't even slow a thief down.

8. anyone have a link to the cell phone trick..sounds genius & waaaaay cheaper than Low-Jack

9. NEVER NEVER LEAVE YOUR SHIT ON THE STREET......get it home

you could do it way back when....not now days...

10. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

The Texas Open Carry bill has been filed

George Lavender as finally filed the Texas Open Carry bill. The bill number is HB 2756; for those that would like to confirm or follow up on this bill itz here http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...2R&Bill=HB2756 . It seems to be for people licensed to carry a handgun (assuming that is the concealed carry license). I believe as a first step this is a great one, once we can get this passed we can try to improve on it later.​

11. fhc

fhc
    from KY

12. AssGasket

AssGasket

There's the thing I was talking about that locates the phone^^^^

Also, open carry is a TERRIBLE idea... Aside from looking like a dickhead during your day to day activities,,, you can't really get to your gun any faster,, and all you're doing is telling the criminals to hit you from behind and take it from you, or just shoot you because you'll make trouble.... Never give up your element of surprise....

13. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

An odd combination of switches that have to be in the right position to allow to crank.....easier than pulling the coil wire every time. Use different colored/marked wire from the switch ( start out normally, then switch colors in a bundle) make them very hard to trace when in a hurry. Heavily wrap the back of the switch and some distance down the wires to make it hard to find the proper wires to hotwire.

All things to slow the process, hopefully they will become impatient and r-u-n-n-o-f-t.

14. shocker998md

shocker998md

If someone wants your car bad enough they will tow it.

Now if that every happened to me I would carry every day 24/7.....on another note I just remembered that I do. Hope it doesnt happen to you again.

15. rynogeezy

rynogeezy
    from seattle

16. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I concur disarm the F%$#ER and shoot him with his own gun
    Then call 911

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Yeah, don't you have gps tracking capability on the ipad? Even if you didn't originally, I bet there is some way to enable it and figure out where it is based on it connecting to the internet.

I bet the thief took pictures of himself with it too and when you get it back yo could see that and get all the evidence you need to pin him down on it. Throw in some gun charges too and he might be looking at a little bit of time.

18. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Replace your fuel pump with an electric fuel pump with a hidden "off" switch. The electric fuel pump is under the car which is usually enough to hide it from a thief. If the thief hot wires the car he is not expecting an electric fuel pump with a hidden "off" switch. The car will start and even run for a couple of hundred feet on the gas in the carburetor bowl before it dies. By this time the thief is probably in the middle of the street/intersection with a car that won't run. At this point I am guessing he "bails" leaving the car behind. The electric fuel pump "off" switch can be really, really, micro small if you use it to trigger a relay to switch the pump off and on. A switch that small can be hidden almost anywhere. And, unlike some things you can do to temporarily disable a car, this one is easy to "fix" if you forget to turn the switch back on. Properly done, this will defeat all but the most determined professional thief. Think about it... even if you knew that the car had a hidden switch that cut power to the electric fuel pump how long would it take you to find the fuel pump hidden under the car, cut the wires and find a new +12 volts for the fuel pump at night with a car that is not jacked up? It would be tough even in the day time with the car jacked up and on jack stands. If you are really paranoid, get some really nasty dirty grease and coat the fuel pump wires with it. It will make it easier to identify the thief... yes officer, that's him... the one with the dirty hands.

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm sorry this happened to you and your girlfriend. I hate reading this type of stuff. Please make sure you and your girl talk; i.e., get some type of counseling through church, community, professional, etc. Don't let these low-lifes get you down OR get the best of you.

As well, if something like this happened to me and my wife, I'd make sure she saw someone. That's not something I'd want her to have festering inside, emotionally, psychologically, etc.

I lost a buddy to PTSD related issues and it seemed like one of those things where some bad things happened to him and eventually he expected bad things to be everywhere. He even looked for trouble... and found it.

As far as the car, if it were me personally, I'd keep it in a friend's garage or a storage facility and drive it when I was free, especially if I wasn't around to oversee it.

Good luck, man. And take care of yourself and that girl of yours. Make sure your buddy is good too. No sense in giving him another thing to get worked-up about. Perhaps the PD could recommend someone you all could go speak with?

20. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Bryan Fuller of Two Guys Garage (Speed Channel) did a segment on the cell phone trick to track your stolen vehicle. You can go to their web site and find the episode.

21. Try turning the cig. ligther into a contactor run the coil wire to it.

22. daddylama

daddylama

very sorry to hear this happened to you and your girlfriend. people like that are the scum of the earth. like mentioned above, do consider talking to a professional about this... nothing wrong or unmanly about it.

as far as security: unfortunately if they want something bad enough, they'll figure out a way to get it. keep it out of sight, make it as hard to get as you can. be friends with all your neighbors. be friends with your neighborhood beat cops. you'll hear more about what's going on, and what to look out for. your neighbors will also be more likely to mention to you if they see something.

i'm a fan of being well insured with an agreed upon value for the cars/motorcycles. no second rate insurance... something good.

i'm also a fan of the 2nd Amendment and the .357mag that never leaves my side.
    like my grandpa used to say "nothing tells someone they've made a mistake like the business end of a revolver"
    12ga / 00 buck in the home. .357mag JHP everywhere else. and lots of practice/training.

a dog helps, too. doesn't have to be an aggressive watch dog... just something that barks (at the right times).

23. Mudgy

Mudgy

you only need ignition, fuel, and a start signal to get basically anything going.
    Alarms are just pox. a waste of time and money. No one pays them any attaention.
    All you can do is the hidden kill switch and a flashing LED.
    Usually I would make the most obvious switch on the dash work a relay that cut ignition and or start. Cig lighter can trigger a relay too. If you lose the lighter, a small coin down inside it always gets you home.

24. Lojack, spare parts and a full gas can in the trunk, also a secure garage.
    AAA plus for the tow home......

25. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

If you don't mind me asking what part of Houston did this happen in?

26. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Agree. Also, if you shut the pump down just before you park or let the car idle after you kill the pump, the car will never start to begin with?

Will comment on other stuff after i wake up (working 3rd shift unfortunately).

27. FatFndr

FatFndr

28. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! jesus that shit pisses me off. some scumbag thinks he can just take what somebodys worked long and hard for just because he cant be fucked being a decent contributing member of society. i hope this piece of shit rots in hell with all of his piece of shit mates.

hope you and the missus are doin okay and not lettin it get to ya.

ps sorry bout the language, but man that makes me mad

29. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

At the risk of starting a big debate, it sounds like you would be dead right now if you had tried to pull a gun on the guy. Just something to chew over.

The fuel pump killswitch is probably the best. I've also heard of people with automatics having a lever under the dash to disengage the shifter rod/cable. Obviously your ability to do that will vary based on setup.

Like a few others have said, don't be afraid to seek counselling. It's the sort of thing that will eat at you and a professional can help mitigate that.

30. Removable steering wheel and park it in a location where a tow truck cannot easily get to it (tight space).