Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some life advice...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Jan 4, 2012.

1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I would clean the Buick up a little bit and sell it. Its a beautiful car and a great (almost finished) project for someone. It will sell. You may not make all of your money back but you'll get a good price for it. If you paint it; youre only going to loose more money (couple grand in paint and paint supplies to prep it).

That Model A is absolutely gorgeous and inmy personal opinion; wouldn't touch it. Its an heirloom now and that is one beautiful car. Have you thought about putting a hot rod engine in it? That way it would be fun to drive but with the hood on it will still look stock. You could take the hood off for a more traditional hot rod look. Not all Model A hot rods should be chopped and I think a lot of them are just overdone. Why follow the crowd? I would sell the buick; take the profit and tuck it away and start saving your pennies to add to that profit. You will save up enough to purchase a model A worth hot rodding. don't worry about that :). Good luck!

2. Take some advice from the start over king. I have lost everything and started over from scratch more than anyone I know and I know a lot of folks that have had a pretty rough life.

The Buick is just a car. If you peddle it at a loss you already had your fun with it. Fun is priceless. If it were me I wouldn't have a problem loosing it and seeking another project.

Second although I don't consider anything sacred I can see that you would have a hard time changing your Dad's old car. I probably would leave it and build the other.

Last if you are a church goer type I doubt that you really want to land in hell, so maybe just take turns driving them to church. Now on the other hand if you are the better to rule in hell than serve in heaven type of motor cycle enthusiast as in I am a insert club name here and I ride a motor cycle, you should disregard that bit of advice. :D:D

By the way not to insult you just an observation, when I was comming up it was Scootertrash.

Good luck to you whatever your decision is.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. mlagusis

mlagusis

I would start working on the Buick but in the mean time put an add for sale or trade for rolling Model A coupe.

4. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

A few things came to mind.

Your dads gift is over the top, it is a wonderful car.

1. If its something you dont think you can enjoy right now, maybe loan it to a antique car museum and have a plaque made in your fathers name.

2. Dont look at the buick as project you lost intrest in. ( failure )
    look at it as your new project to flip, finish the buick to a sellable level ( primer and wiring ) and then take the money from it and buy the A you really want.
    Some gifts can be a burden, In time you will come to appreciate it even more so, do whatever you can to hold onto it as is.

3. Last option ask you dad about cutting up the A together, he would enjoy a father and son project even if its not his style, in the end you would have the A of your dreams cut/raked ect. and it would be the same car your father gave you.

good luck
    MrC.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd get that Buick running and then sell it. You get way more for a running driving car then a half finished project.

6. That Buick's gonna pay for your Model A.

Take it in steps. Put it up for sale. Primer it. Next installment, paint it. Next installment, whatever's next. If it doesn't sell locally or here, then ebay it.

7. Sell the buick put your money towards the a n ENJOY BEING WITH YOUR DAD his gift of the a n your dad are both priceless!

8. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Keep your Dad's A the way it is. I wouldn't spend any more time or money on the Buick. There are plenty of people looking for good projects even in this economy. I think the Buick will sell quick and for more than you think. Plenty of A projects out there too at reasonable prices. Build the A that suits you not someone else.

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

This has been a very level-headed thread with lots of good suggestions and perspectives. That's the HAMB at its best. I had a '51 Olds 98 fall into my lap as a kid. Fab body, low miles, great paint. My dad and I rebuilt the 303 with old-fashioned tools, nothing fancy, and made it hum.

Point: It was a nice car and scarce compared to an 88. It was a GREAT time spent with my Dad, and a kid learned a ton from the old man and got the car bug. But , like your '50 Buick, the Olds couldn't turn me from a MoPar guy into a GM guy. I wasn't really sad when it moved to somebody else's garage where there was GM enthusiasm.

It's YOUR call, but I moved the Olds and put my time, money, energy and enthusiasm into something I had a passion for. Beaner and some others made great points, but IMO the best one is -- whatever you get for the Buick -- any "loss" represents quality time spent at your hobby. You can feel good about it.

Then, find that A coupe, the nailhead, the Deuce frame and put all your time into what YOU will really enjoy. Good thread, and you have a great attitude and a great wife!

10. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

I think it's funny how many guys are saying "just throw some paint on that buick" like it that's easy to go from bare metal to paint.

11. BISHOP

BISHOP

I wouldnt even put primer on it, if I was looking for something like the Buick, I would want to see what I was buying. Nothing hidden with the bare metal.

12. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

You guys are great. Thanks so much for the advise. I can't see myself changing anything about the A that my Dad gave me. There's something about the sound of an 80 year old model A engine going down the road. I think I will re-assemble the Buick and sell it during the spring. (I have the fenders off, dash out, and suspension torn apart for the Scarebird disc brake conversion.) I don't see myself putting more money into it and like the suggestion of leaving the paint/primer off. The body is in great shape and that was one of the reasons I bought it. Thanks again to all of you who offered some wise suggestions.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd go for getting the Buick up in running and driving good shape to where a prospective buyer could look at it as one he could drive home and finish the way he wanted it. The body looks pretty straight and a lot of people like that body style.
    It's also easier for someone looking at the car to tell his significant other that all it needs is finishing the body work and an interior but it can be cruised while it is being worked on rather than having to call the stretcher to haul it home. That part shouldn't cost you too much more than you have in it now.

14. TexasDart

TexasDart

Well if you did primer it just keep some pictures of the before so people can see what it looks like under the primer. I'd probably want to put some paint on it to keep if from rusting. Plus if you get it running you could cruise it and maybe find a new love for it. Nice Buick.

15. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I love your little model-A coupe. No advice here. I don't give good advice so, I'll keep opinions to myself.

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

If I were you I'd cut Pop's Model A. What do you think the next asshole is going to do? Save it forever?

He's going to lie to straight to your face, all the while salivating about bringing the cutoff wheel into that sweet 80 year old tin.

Don't kid yourself. It has sentimental value, hack it up into a nice hot rod and at least you get to keep it in the family.

I've already told my Pop when he kicks off I'm putting a vintage Chrysler drivetrain into his '57 Chevy Bel Air. I'm kind of joking around, but if I did I don't think he'd mind. It's just a car.

17. You could buy a pretty nice model A for what you could get out of the Buick as it sets.

Leave pop's model A out of this. I like the idea of having the restored car in addition to your dream hot rod.

18. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Maybe you could trade the Buick for a Model A. I'm sure there is someone out there wanting to go the other way. Then in 1 transaction you get rid of the Buick and get your A project.

19. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Great thread. It's always good to get a new perspective. I am a "pop" in this thread. Gave my son a decent effie, looks good, needed nothing, reliable. I don't like selling things. The truck had a lot of memories for me about my friends' efforts on my behalf. "It is tough to sell something when you look at it and see your friends' time, effort, blood (literally), bumps and bruises in it. After reading this thread I am going to remind my son these are MY memories and I got my enjoyment out of the truck. It is now his and he has absolutely no obligation to maintain a shrine to me. My feelings won't be hurt by anything he does with it, keep it, sell, it change it, let it set. It's no longer mine, legally or emotionally.

20. I won't give advice but I'm not shy about saying what I'd do in your case..I'd use the HAMB classifieds, Craig's list and auto-trader to place a "trade" ad. I'd offer up the buick [after you put the fenders/suspension back on it] as a trade for the model-A you're looking for...no money involved for uncle sam to get his hooks into. No income to claim on taxes..no pesky high balances showing on any bank accts.
    I'd take my time [no rush, I already have a nice coupe to drive, right?] and pick my best deal.
    If I came up empty, then I might try to sell the Buick for money but I would never cover up that metal with paint...believe me, if you paint it, it's ALWAYS gonna be the wrong color for your customer.

21. Easier than going from rust to bare metal to paint. Maaco paints one in a day and they just hire junkies and winos off the street. ;)

22. one armed hammer head

one armed hammer head

I really am liken' this thread too. Reminds me of a quote I heard the other day:

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you just find 'em on your doorstep."

Sell the Buick and build a nasty new A.

23. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

My opinion.

none of what you have is what you want.

at the end of the day they're all hunks of metal, but i understand the centamental attachment to the A.

hop up the banger and throw some big and littles and Restro Rod it if you "have to keep it".

24. I don't have time to read all the responses, but who says you have to "cut it up" to make it bad ass? I presonally like them with no chop, people seem to want to chop everything for some reason. Try reading "First, Do No Harm" in the Feb 2001 Street Rodder. This is an article about Vern Tardel making a hot rod out out of a '32 5 window using only wrenches, no cutting. The car was built with all vintage parts, no cutting, and could be turned back to bone stock later.

25. 29tudor

29tudor

That bucks pretty sweet but if you're not into it anymore I'd swap it for a model a project or towards a bunch of parts(motor, speed equip, rear end, parts for a front end) just enjoy the stocker while you collect enough parts then build your dream car.

26. Money lost selling a project car is never really lost, I consider it the cost of an education. You'll be that much smarter after you've decided what your going to do. Just have fun doing it.

Doug.

27. X2 on what Dave B said.I miss mine and its been 36 years since he passed.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Keep the Model A your Dad gave you, that is rule #1, I've got my Dads Roadster. If you aren't in love with any project sell it, selling at a loss now is far better than selling for a BIG LOSS down the road. It is a hobby and you should be having fun with it.

29. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Your dad didn't specify that you don't sell the Model A, and the Buick seems to be nothing but dead weight at this time. So sell both and get the one project that you'll put your heart (and $$) into.

Screw the sentimentality...........these are tough economic times!

Do what it takes to make yourself happy.

30. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

Sell the Buick, move on. You can save that $3k by buying the next project good.