Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some help with a 32 Chassis and front rubber brake hose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29 sedanman, Mar 19, 2009.

1. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

We are working on the wifes 32 Chassis for her truck. I bought 40 ford brake hoses for the front end. the problem is that if placed under the frame the brake hoses are too short. When the wheels turn the brake hose gets really tight. I have tried placing the hose as close to the front crossmember as possible to reduce the length between the wheel cylinder and the frame but it is still too short.

Our set up is pretty standard hot rod stuff. 32 chassis, 40 for brakes, 4" Magnum axle set up with spring over axle. The only thing I believe may be causing the problem is we are running a super low mono from Magnum that sets the chassis lower than a standard spring.

I want to run a stock appearing hose if possible, but it is not the end of the world if I cant. I was just wondering what the application for a longer hose may be or what some one has done in the past if they had the same situation. My sedan has the typical speed shop custom AN brake hoses covered in heat shrink and they look alright so I may go with this if I dont find a longer hose soon.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

I would just go down to our parts store and get the longest pre cut hose that they have, itll look fine. Heres a pic of mine on my coupe and it doesnt bother me at all.

Attached Files:

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Any idea what the application is on that hose? It looks great.

4. as Nobody said , go down to a real auto parts store and look in the back of the parts book , not a computer. they list them by style and length. a real parts guy can do this for you

the end that screws into the wheel cylinder has 7/16-20 thread , the frame end is 1/4" inverted flare....or you could go 3/16" inverted flare for 3/16 brake lines. then just pick your length. something around 18" should do it.

5. afan

afan
    from michigan

NAPA!! go tnere with the measurement you think you need .thoes guy's still have catologs and can come up with the hose that will work for you thats what i did.

6. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Thanks, 18" sounds to be about perfect. My current line is 15".

7. Ole don

Ole don

I wanted the real old school look, so I mounted the hoses on top of the frame. They are safer there anyway. I used stock 48 Ford passenger hoses. I have left to right up and down to max with no pull.

8. yes , Napa...they still list them by size in the back of the book

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

show pics of the truck!...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Look into 56 ford brakehoses their threaded on one end ,Work with 1/4 inch lines for the front. Mac sells the earlier ones for 3/16 which you have to thread 15 3/4 Hope this helps.This is what im using on my 32.Check wheel cylinder fitting size at hose end.Their are two different sizes.

11. Go through the frame if ya wanna use that hose. That's what I did. Worked great. I can get a picture later if ya need it.

12. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

As soon as we get past he pile of rubble stage I will show you some pictures Larry!

Curbspeed, did you go through your frame with the stock style hose? IF so, can you please show this to me. I went through the frame with my sedan but I used the AN style fittings.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I will let you all know how it turns out.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I think you will find that is the Early 70s Dodge Pickup rear brake hose.
    We've been using them for front and rear for many years, long enough to give you flexibility in positioning and late enough to be around for a good while.

14. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

You should have no problem with the stock hoses, this is my 32 3w with stock 40 brake hoses. I made a sheet metal mounting tab that attaches thru the shock absorber bolts. Stock hose measure 15 1/2" ete. The only way you might get this to bind up is if you are rotating the spindle full lock with no tire or spindle stops.

Attached Files:

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The stock hose works great for me through the frame right behind the front crossmember but my frame is not boxed so I can get to the clip that holds it in place.

16. A while back somebody on here posted a NAPA part number for hoses that are a couple inches longer. I went and got some and they look like they are going to be perfect for my pinched frame track roadster. Unfortunatly I'm not where it is right now and can't just go find it but maybe somebody can get the info for you. It should come up in a search.

17. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Thanks for the nice clear photo Dick. Our set up is quite a bit diferent. The crossmember in our chassis is a custom mode flat crossmember, the axle is a 4" drop and the super low mono sits it low enough that the frame is notched for spring clearance. All of this drops the chassis quite a bit using up any slack that there may have been for the hose. I think the only option for me is a made to length hose, or find a stock style hose a little longer.

I guess I will hit the NAPA and try to find a longer hose. I cannot find a store in town that has the dodge pick up hoses in stock.

Thanks everybody for your advice.

18. 63Compact

63Compact

If you can find a brake place I'm sure they can make the hose's up for you, that's what i did.

19. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Mine are 39 Lincoln and had the same issue but I don't have any problem going over the frame.

[​IMG]

20. Local hydraluic hose guy came make one any way shape are form you want. Got mine and was same price ans F1's at the auto supply.

21. wagner bh40450

thats the part number for the hoses that are a bit longer...wagner product....

T. Hilton

22. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Tracy, for 18 1/4" hose you need Wagoner F6560, last time I got these they were around $40. + ea. This is for 1/4' feed line to match the wheel cylinders.

23. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

Raybestos #BH 33676 is 2" longer than stock. BH 36563 is 3" longer than stock.

24. wagner F6560 is Napa # UP6560 , 18-1/16" long and is $29.99....wagner BH40450 is Napa # UP 36814 , 21-3/16" long and is $44.99

both are for 1/4" brake line, if you want to run 3/16 brake lines you can use Edelmann adapter # 258340

is it just me , or have brake hoses gotten stupid high in prices? i remember when $10 would by any one you picked out

25. A friend of mine is building a full-fendered 29 A two door sedan.

Camaro disc brakes up front, got the hoses from NAPA.
    Nice looking hoses and I believe I still have the parts number for them since I'm also running Camaro discs on my 31 roadster.

One thing the Camaro disc brake guys run into when running stock type hoses is the - ugly for a highboy - bracket spliced into the middle of the hose.

The NAPA hoses noted above are hose all the way, have a somewhat shiny plastic look to them, but appear to be a nice product.

You can find SAE type bulkhead (through the frame) fittings at a hydraulic supply house as well as farm and oil field supply houses.
    Some types of these fittings are re-usable like the Earls aluminum fittings.
    They come in nickel plated almost like chrome in the smaller sizes and soft flat silver cad plating in the larger sizes.

Here's a cookie tin full of em.
    [​IMG]

As well as a common Earls braided stainless and high pressure (3000 psi) plastic braided cover hose.

The blue hose is #10 and works well for remote oil filters.
    [​IMG]

If you look close at this pic, you'll see a "repair cone", an Earls part that you use to repair a boogered up sealing face - male or female - on a fitting.
    [​IMG]

Contrary to what many think you can combine AN fittings and SAE fittings by using a repair cone.
    Easy to find at most Earls dealers.

I wouldn't use it on a brake system unless it was an on-the-road-got-no-choice deal, but for the lower pressures in an engine oiling system they work fine.

I've also cut a new face on an Earls AN fitting to match the 45* SAE fittings.

As well as JB Welded two cut-down Earls fittings together so as to stay away from a 3-4 stack of fittings.
    Again, I wouldn't use the JB trick on a brake system.