Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Need some Dimensions on T-Bucket frame width!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Screamin' Metal, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Hey Guys, I need your help. I'm gonna be building a T-Bucket. Is there a standard width for the Rails? I'm gonna be using 2X3 tubing. I've read where some of you have bought the body first, then fit it (the frame) to the body. Are every last single one of these things different?????? Or doen it depend on the manufacturer? Thanks a bunch!

2. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Give me your opinion......I'm thinking of building myself a T-bucket. But then agian, I'm leaning toward getting a early bug body, mounting it on frame rails, running a exposed engine, kinda like the 32's. The engine is gonna be a blown 400 smallblock, turbo 400 trans, (I like Burnouts!), 3.55's out back.

I love the look of the early AA/Altereds.........

3. I have a new frame from Speedway setting in the garage mess. If I can find it under the stuff, I will get measurements for you. I am going outside to the garage right now....

4. Yep, found the frame,right where I last placed it, besides the Hemi engine. Had to uncover it from a pile of boxes and parts. Hardest thing was to find a tape measure in my garage. The rear width is 28 and 3/4 inch, with the front width being 23 and 1/4 inch. This is the '26 to '27 frame with the wheel base being at 107 inches.
    Link - http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Basic-Model-T-Frame,3428.html

I am going to use this longer frame on a '25 (shorter) body, for a little better quality of ride.

5. butch27

butch27

Almost everyone is just building a straight frame now at 26" or 27".

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Total Perf.

Attached Files:

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The words "kinda like a 32" should NEVER be used following any comment abour using VW bodies.

ON TOPIC, it is always best to have the body of the car you are going to build on hand so you can be sure the frame dimensions you are thinking of using will work with YOUR body. Wouldn't hurt to have your radiator shell (T/A/B Ford, Dodge, Buick, whatever except tractor), or track nose available for mockup too.

Over the years firewall and other dimensions of T bodies have been changed when new moulds were made or when the maker deicided to do so. That is why so many new components, and even OEM Ford T ones, don't fit correctly like windshield posts in particular.

On frame dimension length wise, it is a big variable with Tbuckets since you may be building a 100" stock T wheelbase, or less, shorty like Roth's Tweedy Pie or a 103-106" WB car probably fairly std., or a 114"-up wheelbase car as in FWD look. The same in the rear for kickup and rear frame length, you may be using a short 14" pickup bed, a long 20" bed, or a turtle deck; naturally a short tail on the frame would be appropriate for the 14" bed, 6"longer for 20", and even longer for the turtle deck.

You have entered the "Bucket Zone" where small changes make big differences in appearance.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  8. Phil1934

Phil1934

Car Craft's mid '60's book put the frame at 23-1/2" front. 29-1/2" at the kickup 82" back and parallel to rear 22" further back.

9. Stock Model T Frame dimensions with suggestions for modifications. The plan is from Wescott.

Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

10. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Pm Anchorboy46 his names Mikey ask for some help tell him Tim Boneyardratz sent you to him. He builds them from from the ground up he's a real cool dude :cool: hopethis helps

11. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

To Pasadena Hot Rods......my apologies....I didn't mean to make that sacreligious remark....please forgive me! Please, Please!!!!!
    Hey, Thanks for going out and measuring that frame for me.....I'm gonna make the frame narrow enough to tuck down inside the body lines.....do the channeling thing.........
    I've always loved the old Altereds, and my main love is the T-bucket.....and if I may ask another question from ya'll.... does anyone out there make a kit that comes with all the brackets to fit the frame, that'll save me some time so that I'll be able to get a rolling chassis pretty fast.

12. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Hey guys, thanks for all the info!!!!! Ya'll are great! Right now I'm eyeing a 3" Gilmer drive this guy just sat down on the end of my workbench..........hummmm..........both top and bottom pulley, a belt and the Idler..........hum.........,
    Calling in a few to see if I can locate a bracket kit...........

13. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Does anyone have any pictures of buckets with this style frame? I think its pretty common, but I am going to be building a frame, and curious what the stance is.

14. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Anyone know the width at the base of the cowl (inside to inside ) I'd like to get started o a frame and I'd like the frame to be tight to the cowl at the firewall.

15. Joe-405

Joe-405
    from Oklahoma

most body companies give the width of the firewall on their website and if i were you i would get some wide tape and make you a life sized version of the chassis on your garage floor. It helps alot