Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some Canadian chassis numbers, please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I was talking to a hot rod buddy, who told me that us down unders got our early ford chassis from Canada, So I'm asking if any of you Canadian Hambers have a listing of model A, 32 and 33-4 chassis numbers as listed by the factory?

Our registration Authorities and engineers can be fussy about reproduction chassis, saying that they are a reproduction vehicle not a modified production vehicle, and this will change the way the car is viewed, as far as safety requirements etc are concerned.

If I have a 32 chassis number on my repop 32 rails, then I can argue that my car os actually a modified production car, and get thru registration easier.

I believe these numbers start wil "CA".

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. Canuck

Canuck

Don't have any info to help you with 32 and 33-4 numbers, but have info on T's and A's. Canadian A's in 29-30-31 did not have numbers stamped on the frame, just on the side of the block.

These numbers are courtesy of George Moir Antique Auto Parts catalogue, a Canadian dealer.

Hope this is some help.

Canuck

3. Canuck

Canuck

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Your '32 chassis number would begin with C18F if V8, CBF if a four. C for Canadian manufacture, F for foreign, meaning RHD.

5. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Seeing as how we're on a "roll"; my Model A ('28) Tudor has a number stamped on the body cross rail that the front seats bolt to. Just under the seat on the left side.

It's (and the quotation marks are also stamped) "T4363".

I'm quite sure it was manufactured in Canada, (the body) because most of the trim screws are ROBERTS head. (the square socket type screw)

Any ideas?

I have used this number with the insurance company as the serial number for the vehicle, and so far they have accepted it.

6. Canuck

Canuck

Here is some help identifying Canadian As. The number you are refering to is a SIL #, not the engine/serial number. The T4 would indicate built in Toronto and a Tudor and the assembly number.

This link shows the SIL number and location:
    http://www.myhomeoffice.ca/~pcmweb/recap/bodyphoto.html

From MAFCA:
    Location of the Assembly Plant ID Number
    The body assembly plant number was stamped into the top of the front body cross member, into the body side rails on the floor board level, or into the wooden cross member on certain body styles such as Cabriolets and Fordors. The number can be located anywhere on the cross member and can be oriented to read from driver to passenger side, from passenger to driver side, or from back to front. Also, the size of the stamp used differs from one assembly plant to another. Briggs and Murray bodied cars had a brass tag affixed to either the wooden body cross member or firewall. I am not collecting these tag numbers.

Most, but not all, of these numbers contain one, two or three letters that denote the specific assembly plant where the body or car was assembled. The digital portion of the number could indicate body style production. To date, 30 of the 35 assembly plants have been equated to their letter codes. It would appear that all of the assembly plants, regardless of its particular capability (i.e., major, standard or minor assembly plant), stamped these numbers into the cross member or side rails. For some unknown reason, not all Model "A" cars have an assembly plant number, but could largely be a result of the body cross member or side rails being replaced or the assembly plant number being filled in during restoration.

Model A Ford Assembly Plants (Canada)
    Following is a list of the assembly plants with their equated letter codes.

# Letter Symbol Location
    1. M MONTREAL, QUEBEC -- 119-139 LAURIER AVENUE EAST
    2 T TORONTO, ONTARIO -- 2951-2991 DANFORTH AVENUE
    3 W WINNIPEG, MANITOBA -- PORTAGE AND WALL STREETS
    4 V VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- 1160 HAMILTON STREET

CAnuck

7. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Canuck, thanks for the info.

The problem I am faced with, is all I have is the body. Even the front cowl was missing when I found it.

So far that's the only number I have.

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks guys.

now all I need to know is How many numbers make up the chassis number for the 32, as i already have the prefix.

any Ideas?

Can someone please quote me an original chassis number from a 32?

Mark