Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I need some advice please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brady1929, Dec 6, 2017.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Evaporust"!; molasses, vinegar, all that stuff is too acidic and will harm anything delicate, especially if you leave it in too long. I don't think the words "delicate" and "blasting" should be used in the same paragraph, much less sentence. I had a bit of rust developing on the back of the grille extensions (parking light units) on my '51 Ford that I had had re-chromed about 20 years earlier. If you are familiar with '51's, you will know that the grooves in these housings are usually painted black. Soaking in "Evaporust" overnight cleared up the rust completely and never even touched that paint. The problem "49clubcoupe" mentioned can be minimized by using fresh concentrate; the more it is used, the more likely that it will blacken your items. if the items are that important, you should be watching them and checking on a regular basis anyway.

There is a product called "Rust-911" which works the same way as "Evaporust", but is a concentrate to which you add water so it is quite a bit cheaper. I have used it, and it works well, but if I had anything I was really concerned with, I would spend the extra bucks on "Evaporust". That's it's biggest problem : cost.

Electrolysis works OK, and I used to use it in the past. I found it has two problems; it is messy to set up and use, and it works on "line of sight" only, making it difficult to set up in many instances and it just doesn't work well with intricate shapes.