Register now to get rid of these ads!

i need project guidance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indawaitinroom, Jan 4, 2009.

1. ive been working on a 30 model a coupster for a while now, a low budget project, i got a 37 ford rolling chassis for cheap, and originally planned to use as much of that as i could, but build my own frame, suicide the front axle, and hang the spring off the wishbones, run the wide 5 wheels with juice backing plates, banjo rear, t-5 tranny, and this desoto hemi ive been stashing for a while.

well the other day i dug the hemi out and scaped some grease off the numbers and discovered that the dude i bought it from had no idea what it was, instaed of being a 292 low deck, its actually a 56 330 tall deck. so in a panic with visions of sheared woodruff keys i dug up a early bronco 9 inch, but not wanting to change my wheel choice i figured id just get adapters.. no biggie...

as luck would have it, my girlfriend and i just bought a house. so now im broke as balls. and i need alot of parts to get the hemi to work... so i found myself a nice little 283, needs a little freshening, but for the cost of a hemi tranny adapter, i could have this whole 283 freshened and done.

so am i stupid to scrap the hemi idea? i hate to gear a build towards a sale, but i cant deny the fact that in the end i may have to sell this car to pay bills, mortgage, etc... if i use the 283 would the banjo be a bad idea?

im tearin my hair out here, sorry for the long post, and thanks to anyone who reads.

2. helmsville

helmsville

put together a low budget motor--drive the car--build the hemi as you get money, ive alway's built high end car's that took year's to build and missed the fun of driving them, learn from my mistake. thank's Chris

3. i appreciate the advice chris.. i think thats what i have to do, get this 283 in the car, and throttle out, hope i can hang onto it long enough to enjoy it...

4. koth

koth

I agree with Chris. Put it together as you can afford it. They don't cost anything when they sit:). Hold on to the hemi for the future. Parts are only going to get harder to find in the future. The banjo rear end will be your weak link. Do a burn out on concrete and you may blow it up. Take it easy on it and you should be fine, for a while...

5. yeah the 9 inch is prolly the safest bet, i just get a feeling its overkill with the 283, but that dont mean it aint a bad idea...

i forgot i also got a pretty hot 327 with ported double hump heads and 10.5:1 compression i could use, its freshly rebuilt and ready to go, id just have to come up with a cool multi carb intake to fit it... ive been saving it for my 53 chevy project, but chances are that car will be have to be sold too...

decisions decisions... man ima mess.

6. gee.tee

gee.tee
    from mid mo

The 8.8's out of Mustangs are a lot cheaper than a 9"!

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Get the 'for cheap' car on the road and driving, with whatever motor you can hang in there. Upgrade it along the way.

There's pleanty of time to build the Hemi right and use it when the time is right. Sitting there, it will remind her that you are not blowing bread and milk money on it. She should appreciate that.

Make a list of items required and hang it on the motor, to steer family in the right direction on birthdays and christmas time, so they will buy you stuff you need for the motor, instead of worthless shirts, sox, and sweaters!

It'll serve several purposes; motivation, benchmark, priority, satisfaction, and direction.

8. The Shocker

The Shocker

What he said by the letter.I myself would rather drive a hotrod that isnt exactly the way i want it today than wait ten years to have it perfection .Lifes too short ,get out and enjoy these hotrods every day .You can always make changes /upgrades as the funds become avalible.Thats what i always do ,and i havent been without a daily driven hotrod for the last ten years ...

9. phukinartie

phukinartie

Well it seems you have your priorties in line w/ the house and all put in the sbc and do the hemi right its money in the bank

10. i really appreciate everyone input! i think im gonna go with the sbc and 9 inch combo, it should be the cheapest and quickest route i believe.

hopefully i can hang onto it and enjoy it!

11. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

Out of curiosity what was the price of the adapter to match the T5 with the 330 hemi?

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

hemi is cool but i would go with a small block when was the last time you drove 120 mph

13. hotheads was 575 steel flywheel plus shipping, and no starter included, would need a small block mopar starter. and the clutch and pressureplate to match my tranny.

wilcap was 675 i believe same stuff

14. yeah that might be scary on 6.50 bias tires... but not to say i wouldnt believe that a 283 powered model a couldnt reach those speeds...