Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I need ideas for a column drop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F-350Loui

F-350Loui

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hey Alaska Jim. I purchased the gauge package from Boese Engineering out of AZ. 877-263-7377. Gauge part# FT61T. Excellent guy to talk to very helpful.

bostonhemi, flynbrian48, clem and 8 others like this.
  2. My COE I used a small journal SBC rod, and instead of a bearing I used some rubber strip so it fits tight and no potential slip.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. I have a hand full of SCS aluminum rods from a Rodec BBC. They have a relief down the middle that would look great with some holes drilled in it like an axle. PM if you want, and i ship it to ya. Ill get a pic next time i'm at the shop.

Jason

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Danny, have you unhooked it to see if you'll end up at a comfortable angle on the wheel. Nothing worse than having to reach for the top of the hoop. At least changing your angle, will pull the u-joint away from the rams horn some. Up and forward could also be an option.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

I would take a long think about what the rest of the car is going to look like when I'm done, then build something that fits the theme.

clem, Just Gary, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey HRP, Flaming River has a bunch of 2" diameter drops, including a few that have the right move for your dash, and the hinge so they fit the column regardless of where the column hits the firewall. I used their 32 style drop but I only wanted a 3 1/2" drop, they put it together for me. Nice people to work with.
    upload_2017-3-13_10-47-22.png

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The aforementioned Ididit old school column drop. :)
    20160731_113838.jpg

grumpy32 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

F-350Loui, Thank you for that information, I appreciate it. You do great work, nice looking dash/console. . I think I am a bit envious. keep us posted on your build.------Jim

j3harleys and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That was my first thought too. If you don't want to weld it, cut it, overlap it and bolt or rivet it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. desotot

desotot

I checked but couldn't find a pic , but I did an interior in a 32 a few years back and the guy had used an aluminum connecting rod from a 426 hemi.

11. I would shorten it, bend it (without the pivot), and cut it into an hour glass shape with the edges more rounded (more radius). Maybe out of metal or thicker aluminum.

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

I don't have any pictures but I used 16 ga sheet metal and folded up a clean little column mount for my '32 5w years ago. It was about 5" wide at the dash and tapered down to the column size. I cut the dash end to the appropriate angle and capped it. Then I welded tabs onto each side of the column and bolted through the side flanges. I was going to put a gauge in the flat area but never did. I painted it to match the dash & column and it all flowed nicely without looking to street-roddy, store bought or makeshift/hokey. Very similar to what Tjompen did but not a full surround at the bottom.

squirrel likes this.
  13. clem

clem

14. clem

clem

Mine, - pretty boring when you consider the one on the next post. Handmade from 10mm (3/8") rod.
    IMG_2948.JPG IMG_2949.JPG

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    kiwijeff likes this.
  15. clem

clem

IMG_2950.JPG

tmfcracing, member on here from sweden, did this for his outstanding deuce

seadog, Oldbill51, jvo and 3 others like this.
  16. Screw the catalogue stuff, boring and street roddy.

I like the connecting rod ones, but they have been flogged to death.

It's hard to be original, but @clem has a goodie, although to long for your new 32.

Captain Scarlets one was definitely refreshing, and matched his Banjo wheel, but wouldn't work here.

Build something one off, look around your shop at all your spare parts. Maybe something will jump out and scream, use me, cut me! :D

17. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Yes, and then you could use the old hole for a tach or other gauge.

18. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

You got this done yet?

19. 28TudorAZ

28TudorAZ

20. Kiwijeff is right. Go build one. Unless your looking for a streetrod billet type to go with the non traditional tilt column. Then maybe speedway has what your looking for.

kiwijeff, badshifter and Paul like this.
  21. badshifter

badshifter

This thread hits every Street Rod mark..... GM tilt column, billet, iDidit, Flaming River, Speedway catalog parts, yes sir, check, check, check. Traditional Hot Rodding at its best. Seems as though StreetRodPrimer needs a name change......

X38 likes this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah guys, lets quit with the billet shit please. Cool?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.