Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need help....gas tank filler neck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irishman, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Irishman

Irishman

I'm just about to install a brand new gas tank to my 47 Chevy 2 door sedan Stylemaster.

The original filler neck was missing on the car when I got it.

The new gas tank has a filler pipe coming out which just clears the inner body when installed. I can pick up some rubber hose from the local parts store but I don't know what to use for the filler neck that extends to the outer side of the rear fender to which a gas cap would connect.

Anyone got any ideas what I can use that may be sourced at the local parts store or PicknPull?

There's no provision on the tank for a vent tube, so I guess I need a vented gas cap once I have something to screw it into?

Come on guys...I'm so friggin close to actually getting this thing moving!! :D

2. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Not sure of a junkyard fix, probably a swap meet or parts car thing :(

I'll check some of my parts sources and see if I can dig one up.

The cap needs to be vented if its a stock style tank. Double-check the repros, a lot of those aren't vented or don't vent enough. Went through this last year with my new gas tank.

3. Find a old pickup in the salvage yard and get the neck,,you can cut the pipe to fit or take it to a muffler shop and let them beand a new neck and weld on the gas cap attachment,,then use a gas rated hose to attach with hose clamps. HRP

4. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

[​IMG]

Great idea! Come to think of it, a 73-87 Chevy truck filler neck would work. Its plenty long enough to be bent and the earlier ones have the sloted gas cap mounting holes like stock. It may not even need to be bent since its close to the original 41-48 Chevy shape. Just grind / cap / use the vent holes and you should be fine enough to drive it.

Brilliant!