Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need help adjusting carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Standard, May 9, 2007.

1. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I have a new Barry Grant Road Demon carburator tha I just can't fine tune it. the fuel bowls were loose from the factory, no big deal. Barry claims you just bolt the carb on & it runs. well, mine didn't. I've adjusted the 4 curb idle mixture screws till I'm tired of screwing. any tips? thanks

2. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you can't adjust the idle correctly, and the carb is not the problem, look for other things. Vacuum leaks, ignition problems, etc. If you installed the carb by itself, and didn't have any problems before, most likely, it's the carb, or maybe a vacuum leak at the base gasket. Squirt water around the base while it's idling and listen to hear if the rpm's change, or the engine smooths out.

5. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I'm not really sure how the BG carbs are set up but I can share my "universal" procedure for carburetor adjustment.

I like to get a vacuum gauge on the car. Then I'd probabaly turn the idle screws all of the way in and then turn them out a pre-determined amount (like 3 turns or so) before starting the vehicle. This will help give you a baseline to work from.

Then I'd start it and see what the vacuum gauge reads. Then I'd go through to each one and adjust the screw until I obtained the highest vacuum. Once I hit that I usually turn it back about 1/8 or 1/4 turn. I'd do this for all the mixture screws and then go back and 'fine tune' them with the same proceedure once moreto see if anything changes.

Hope that helps.

Jay