Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need frontend help for my '27 T project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Sep 24, 2003.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was considering buying a complete frontend for my ’27 T project from Speedway but it’s just too spendy for me now. Right now my plans are to have a suicide front end with draglink steering. The only front end parts that I have is a stock model A axle. I will probably just use it as wall art. I will make my own hairpins more than likely, and the draglink, etc. I need everything else.

I have some questions: I understand that Econoline spindles fit on an A axle, at least so I’ve been told. I will just go ahead and use the drum brakes from the Econo, if they can stop a 3K+ pound vehicle they can stop a T bucket just fine. Has anyone here ever used them? Is the bolt pattern 5x4.5?

More importantly, anyone got some to sell?

2. Check the TechOmatic.The Econoline brakes might be included in the big long traditional brake upgrade post.

3. k-member

k-member

Yes the BC is same as car 5 on 4.5". Should stop just fine.

4. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Know anyone who has 'em?

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Why not use a lter axle? Stuff is cheaper and more plentiful.....I used one on my T and it was just right.

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A what axle? Keystroke error dude.

What was your recepie that you used on your front end? I want to get hot on buying parts, no more pissin' around.

7. Honest

Honest
    from Dallas Tx

*A axle
    *36 bones with the front spring perch sawed off
    *Extra long after market (above axle) spring perches
    *Small spacer to fill the gap under axle (mouth of bones wider than axle)
    *A spring and re-poped stock A shackles
    *1935-1948 spindles
    *Wilson welding "skeleton brakes" with 40 drum / hubs

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Skeleton brakes? Edjumocate me...

9. Honest

Honest
    from Dallas Tx

bare bones backing plates with open backs..just enough material to hold the shoes. Not a direct copy..but much like old Franklin racing stuff from the 40s.

10. ElC, I have exactly the set-up you are referring to on my modified. Model A axle with Econoline spindles and brakes. It is 5 on 4.5 bolt circle. The brakes are real wide, like 2.5 inches. Should be very good braking. Although I have yet to actually drive mine (hopefully this weekend???), I have the brakes all hooked up and working. Uses the steering arms from the Econoline spindles, not quite as nice looking as they have large nuts holding the arms in place. I made a custom drag link with two halves welded together. The steering box half is from the 59 F-100 that my steering box came from.

As for how it all mounts together, it was together when I received it, so I can't say for sure if anything custom had to be done to mount the spipndles to the axle. It appears to be pretty straightforward, but I have not actually taken it apart.

Here is a picture sort-of showing the spipndles and steering:

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

LATER .............sorry

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

here's areally crappy pic of my old T during construction.

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's cool Root, thanks.

38, that looks great, got anymore pics?