Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need front end alignment Help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Upchuck, May 18, 2006.

1. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

I swapped out that tierod (F1 truck with original suspension except for disk brakes)yesterday and I would have thought that no matter how it was reinstalled the wheels would have "evened" themselves out to either to much toe in or out but it looks like one wheel is pointed straight ahead and the other turned out? is this an optical illusion or do you have to get each wheel pointed straight individually with the matching sided tierod THEN do the alignment?

I did make sure the total length was the same as before but didn't measure up how far each tierod was installed and I removed both to clean up the threads

2. Flatman

Flatman

What year is your F1? I have a '49 to '53 Ford truck manual in the garage I could look into for you and see what the factory says.

Flatman

3. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

its a 49, my question is one wheel looks like its pointed out and the other one is straight ahead, I was wondering if you had to adjust the tierods individually to get the wheels straight ahead then do the alignment? I assumed it wouldn't matter if one side was screwed in and the other only partially in that the both wheels would either point in or out not one out and the other straight

thanks

4. jetmek

jetmek

center you steering wheel and then adjust both tierodends to have approx the same amount of threads exposed with both wheels as close to straight ahead as you can. ive used a plumbbob off the center of each tire front and back and mark the floor . with a helper check the front and rear width dimension using a tapemeasure to get as close to 1/8 toe in as you can. should be close enough to make it driveable till you can get a real alignment done