Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need an opinion on "borrowing" someones idea.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am in the planning stages of the rebuild on my 36 Ford pickup.

Here is my dilemma.... There is a truck in HopUp that I love. This truck was a survivor that was found in a barn..yada yada yada... The paint is supposed to be the original paint that was sprayed for the Service station in the 40's. Now I like the way the truck is 2 toned.

I was thinking of doing this on mine but don't wanna be stealing someone elses look. I had different colors in mind etc. but you know as well as I, that when you see a guy that has a truck that has a "Rudyesque" look to it....you think of his truck and everyone else is a copycat.

So do I do it and say screw it or leave well enough alone?

2. The problem is... we are ALL borrowing ideas from other people that have gone before us... just do it the way you want to and have fun!
    Sam.

3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

if that's how you wanna paint your shit then do it. The trucks for you and only you, anybody who doesn't like it can eat a dick right? Thats how i see it. Nothing is original anymore anyways....

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I know just don't wanna hear "Is that blah blah blah's truck?" No, it's mine......

5. Meester P

Meester P

After the first guy painted his car Flat Black did every-one else say"oops I better pick another colour" don't think so. Do it how you want it and screw any-one who don't like it.
    John

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

If anyone is wondering what it looks like , it is in Issue 3 of Hop Up pg.56. Of course minus the lettering.

7. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

ya just gotta make sure ya gotta enough little touches to the car so people will know it's yours and not the other guy's. You could always have something lettered on the back exclaiming who's truck it is not.

8. dusty

dusty

What switchblade said plus you could always put "Root's Hardware Store" or something on the doors to set it apart. We will see pics of said truck when??

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Haven't really got started yet. Prolly be a while...Mama wants me to take a sabattical (sp)....

10. plan9

plan9

[ QUOTE ]
    The problem is... we are ALL borrowing ideas from other people that have gone before us... just do it the way you want to and have fun!
    Sam.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, the biggest problem with some arrogant artists i know is they refuse to believe their ideas are just spin offs of everything they have experienced which is creative... granted, the application of this look is when it becomes truely yours... if something looks good, why_re-invent_the_ wheel? i usually never get good ideas if iam lamenting over something original. it happens when iam being inspired by others...

art or whatever youd like to call it, is not created in a vaccuum!

11. If your truck is the same make,model,year,same body mods,stance,wheels and tires,with the same 2 tone paint,AND the "original" is well knowm,THEN someone might think you copied. [ QUOTE ]
    a truck that has a "Rudyesque" look to it....

[/ QUOTE ] Rudy brought together things we had all seen before,put them together his way.and got alot of exposure.Now if someone paints Mexican Hookers on the sides of their truck,THAT would be copying. [​IMG]

12. D Picasso

D Picasso

a saying regarding music but applicable here:

"Good Composers Borrow, Great Composers Steal."

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Unkl Ian, it is the same year/make/model. It will have steelies like the one in question but the colors will be different along with a few other things. Of course, the guys that did the paintwork are probably in their 80's now...

14. seldom scene

seldom scene

The guys who did the "original" paintwork stole the idea from someone else, who took it from someone else etc etc

15. I dig the truck in Hop Up...what color IS it, though? I don't see a problem in this instance. It's pretty hard NOT to do body colors that have been done already. Knock yourself out! Oh...I know someone who will letter it for you... [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. uncleAud

uncleAud

creativity is the remembering what we've seen and talent is the ability to forget that we saw it:)

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's supposed to be red/white.
    I am looking at Navy and white or Ivory.

18. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Haven't seen the Hop Up, but are we talking about the "Planada Truck"?

Attached Files:

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Talked to my Dad and he says that was pretty common 2 tone theme for the work trucks in the day. I feel better now....

21. stevenjerk

stevenjerk

originality is dead, who gives a fuck, if you wanna do it then do it

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Barnett, don't know if I wanna letter the doors after all. It is becoming kinda cliche' if ya know what I mean?

I might build a set of oak sideboards with the old family produce company's name on them. That way if I get tired of it or wanna change the look slightly, I can.

23. Chuck R

Chuck R

[​IMG]

It's all been done before. Just do what fires your rockets. This picture was taken a few years back at the Rattle can.
    chuck

24. Hey Root. You should be prepared to hear people say it looks like Blah Blah's truck if you build it and paint it like Blah blah's truck....
    You shoulda heard some of the locals around here say my 33 ford pickup was "Just like Jimmy Shine's". They're usually the same people who look at your truck and remark what a nice "roadster" you have, then ask when you're gonna paint it.
    Like the other guys have said here...do it like you want and fuck everybody else.

25. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Root,
    I think the guy that own's that truck is JimA's buddy.
    Gordon

26. DrJ

DrJ

If you're building a hotrod using Ford parts your stealing someone elses ideas....

That's just a "typical" Red shop truck with a white roof to try and keep the cab cool since there aint no way it had air conditioning.
    That in itself is no perticular persons original artistic "signature style.
    Didn't that truck usta belong to Richard Graves, or at least pass through his realm of influence?
    Richard had probabaly the first "Rat Rod" on the cover of a magazine. A partly primered barley upholstered '32 Phaeton full of soaking wet babes in bikinis driving in the rain.
    Then he followed that up with a Porsche powered tub...

27. Do it the way YOU want to, Root. The signage is an American tradition, not a cliche. What were you going to put on the doors?
    I always wanted to do one that says, Wrath Wineries, OKC.

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Actually I found an old envelope from my grandpa's produce company during the depression. He and his brothers used to haul produce to the farmer's markets in downtown OKC and resell it to the public. He had the 36 that my dad now drives and it logged over a million miles before he gave it to my dad. It had something like 12 factory flatheads and 4-6 Fred Jones rebuilds. My Grandpa bought it brand new for $375.00 That is why I wanted to paiunt it on the doors before my grandpa passed away. Kinda tribute to the old days ya know? He is 93 and still pretty active.

29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

sounds like a pretty cool tribute, very personal and unique to you and yours.

as far as copying, whether you say "we are standing on the shoulders of giants" and create something totaly mind blowing,
    or you say "all is vanity, there is nothing new under the sun" and drown yourself in cheap wine,
    it is yours to do as you see fit.

Paul

30. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

The truck is co-owned by Richard Graves(Rod / Custom Builder out of The Port Area of Long Beach) and Steve Bell. It is sort-of the mascot to the Early Times Car Club. It is one of my favorites. I don't know if I would like it so much without the original patina and authentic shop text...

M-