Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I need a recommendation for a good air saw.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Nov 3, 2014.

1. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

The reversible cut off has an allen screw to lock everything together in both directions. Gary:D

2. chrisp

chrisp

When Matco first released the reversible cut off there was nothing to lock the screw in place and it did loosen the disk, pretty scary when you don't use the guard, I had to drill the shaft and put 2 set screws, I figured 2 for balance purpose.
    As for air saw, I use the IR429, oiling it and correct air pressure is important. I had the piston break twice over a period of 10 years and just replaced the part. I love IR tools, if oiled everytime you use them they outlast the competition.
    On a side note, Snap On, Blue Point, Matco and Husky use some IR air tools, but sometimes with crappier innards, I used a Husky angle grinder to fix the gear set in my IR, cheaper than buying the gear set from IR : same gear, body and motor but shitty motor blades and bearings...

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

^^^^ that's it.

4. Diavolo

Diavolo

Instead of air tools for high consumption tools, I decided a while back to just go electric.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Electric-Reciprocating-Body-Metal/dp/B00I87J0O4

Does the same job, I never have to wait for the compressor, and I don't have to listen to the compressor and the saw at the same time.
    Everything but my impact wrenches, my air chisel, and my paint gun are pretty much electric now.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  5. I tried an electric saw - 2500 strokes per min vs 9700 strokes per min with air is a world of difference to me.

6. gatz

gatz

I know the topic was " good air saw ",
    But this post

reminded me of how well a Milwaukee Hackzall works in the scrap yard, and isn't much of a load to schlep around. IIRC, HomeDepot had these on sale for around $100 and included 2 M12 batteries and a nice carrying bag.
    Didn't have any trouble at all helping free a R&P unit out of a Cavalier

I use it a lot more than I thought I would around the shop, too.
    Great little tool with a lot of power. 'Still on the original metal blade too.

7. Diavolo

Diavolo

I don't know if you have any issues with heat build up taking the temper out of the blades at that speed. I just amazoned small electric reciprocating saws and posted the first one I found. I am sure if I shopped around I could find one that was small enough for stuff like auto body work, similar to an air one. I'm just saying that electric might be a more viable option for some.

For yard salvage, I have a 18V B&D Firestorm reciprocating saw and I can walk in with 2 extra battery packs and get just about anything I need pretty quickly.

8. I have 2 Ingersoll Rand Model 429. 1 home and 1 at work. No problems ever. I use Ingersoll blades also.

9. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

I really like my Ingersoll Rand 4429 air saw. I oil it every use, and only use Ingersoll blades. Cuts sheet metal fast and accurately. Cheers, Don