Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need a mechanic's mechanic in LA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, May 12, 2011.

1. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

After searching for about 6 months I finally picked up a great 1963 Nova for my wife. We're ditching her late model "check-engine-light-with-wheels" and going with a car that is simple to reopair and worth repairing when things break. I am going through it now and replaced engine gaskets, swapping out all the running gear for 5lug and disc brakes, seat belts,. . . basically getting everything ship-shape for the road. Then I plan to . . .

HAND HER THE KEYS!

Its her car after that and I have a not very successful but time consuming architecture practice to run, a kid to spend time with, and of course the '35 olds coupe project. The plan is that I will do basic maintenance when I can, some diagnosis, but I will not be solely responsible for repairs.

I have always done 100% of the work on my cars but it is starting to be stupid NOT to pay someone to swap out an alternator or headgasket when it can save me time. Does anyone have a mechanic in the Los Angeles (I am in Echo Park) area that would know what to do with a nice 100% stock inline 194. Someone who can tune it up, replace the powerglide when it dies, just basically knows what to do with old cars.

Any reccomendations?

2. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

3. big creep

big creep

rockys commercial auto

607 S Victory Blvd
    Burbank, CA 91502
    818) 846-2210

4. Abomb

Abomb

I get the big stuff, I'm pressed for time too, but an alternator????? tuneup????? really?????

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may be all wet but I thought that the major reason one bought a sixty something simple car was so that he/she could do the maintenance and repairs at home. Those little 194 engines run forever if you take care of them and keep them serviced. It takes less than an hour start to clean hands to change an alternator, starter or valve cover gasket so that won't eat up a lot of project time unless your project time is severely limited.

6. Karl's General Garage
    <address class="adr"> 1621 S Central Ave
    Glendale, CA 91204
    </address> (818) 246-5696
    They're near the old Amtrak Station. They been in business for about 40 years. I used to work there when Karl himself used to run the place back in the early 80's. They did honest work there and I'm sure the owner's son is continuing the same tradition Karl himself prided on.
    Heck, I remember they had a '63 Nova there that belonged to the shop when I worked there.;)

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Check with Groucho, here on the Hamb. His shop is in Sun Valley, behind Burbank Airport.

8. try AstroMotive Auto Service in Lawndale ;)

we can DEFINITELY take good care of you....

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

There's also Lancer Automotive in Los Angeles, along with all the great suggestions already given...

10. plan9

plan9

Mitch will absolutely take care of you. His shop services old and new.

11. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

man this thread sat forever and then everyone jumped in.. . i am just about done going through the car. . i'll cruise by all of these places next week. thanks so-cal hambers.