Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I need a different T5 trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panheadguy, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:06 PM.

1. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

For the vintage race car in my avatar. I have a S10 T5 in it now. NWC from a 1989 with elec speedo. Unlike most of you ; I want the shifter further to the rear. I don't want to have a new drive shaft made and would like the trans mount to be in the same spot.Not asking for much...right? I have searched the "Flat Ernie " posts and either the answer isn't there or I missed it. Can anyone help?
    Thanks

Ziggster likes this.
  2. bubba55

bubba55
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

That's what I want. That's why I said " I want the shifter further to the rear".

4. Camaro or Mustang are both interchangeable and move the shifter back, spedometer is the problem.

I have both a Camaro and a Mustang tail housing I would be willing to trade for the S-10. I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

t5dimensions_zpsdddc96f1.jpg

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Ziggster

Ziggster

Lol. Been going through my own T5 woes. Here are some pics of parts I picked up on the weekend. On the left is the S10 tail hsg, and on the right, a Ford. A GM will have the shifter mounted a couple inches further back than the Ford. Bolt pattern is the same at the main case, but as you can see the trans support mtg is completely different. Speedo ports look identical but are in different locations on the hsg. That means the gear on the main shaft will be as well, and unless you do something to McGivar the shaft to relocate the speedo gear, you will need to change the shaft (I think). Let me know if you need more pics/measurements.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

6. krylon32

krylon32
    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

The draw back to the Camero tailshaft is if you mount the trans in a upright position the rear mount is at an angle because in a Camero the trans is canted to the left. I've built a few customer chassis for the Camero trans and I've had to fab a custom trans mount for the frame. I still use the 2 hole trans mount for stability.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If your willing to fab a lower mount like krylon mentioned, I have a camaro tail, top cover with the long shifter shaft that you can have if you cover the shipping:D

8. Also, if you use the Camaro trans case, you will want to drill and tap the other boss for the oil filler hole, when you stand it up straight, so it will be the right level.

9. Ziggster

Ziggster

I decided to go through the rest of the boxes I got when I purchased my Ford T5 and found this. It's seized, but moves the shifter back about another 8". The bolt pattern on it doesn't match that for the shifter on the S10 tail hsg, but I'm guessing an adapter could be made. It's fugly, but is there not stuff like this available if space is not a concern?
    image.jpeg

10. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Thanks for the input. I did not know the trans mount pad on a Camaro was canted. Is that rue of the NWC as well as WC?
    Do you have the trans top and longer shift linkage too?

11. Ziggster

Ziggster

BTW, here is a pic of the S10 main shaft with speedo gear and retainer clip.
    image.jpeg

12. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

That is interesting. I was thinking of a remote shift device similar to that.
    I had the S10 trans to put in my flathead powered roadster. When I started building the prewar race car I thought what the hell I'll use this trans. The problem I'm having is that my shift lever is bent back to my reach and it added so much travel to change gears it got sloppy. Like it's the original "Mystery Shifter".

13. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Is that thing restore-able? I could possibly fab up a new bracket and use the guts

18n57 likes this.
  14. Ziggster

Ziggster

It's seized solid. Main shaft is 1" OD which runs inside a tube that is 5.75" lg. Lots of rust dropped out when I picked it up out of the box, but no holes or major rust on main frame etc. Just surface rust. I suppose with some prolonged soaking and heat it will eventually slide. It is a heavy duty riveted design. Some more pics...
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

15. nickleone

nickleone

16. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Panheadguy , when I was building my 36 Chevy pickup I decided to put a Ford 302 hooked to a T5 out of a Mustang in it , but when I did the shifter was to far back towards the seat so I had the opposite problem , I needed to make the shifter go forward . What I did was to make a bracket and put a heim joint on it and then make a piece of linkage to go back to where the shifter was and bolt it on and the shifter then hooked to the heim joint. I never got the truck finished so it wasn't road tested but it seemed to work really well . Hope this helps.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

That does not move the shifter back.

That is a Chevy Astro/GMC Safari van offset shifter, which moves the shifter closer to the driver.

[​IMG]

Hnstray and Ziggster like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

The one on the left is NOT an S10 tail housing. That is an Astro/Safari tail housing:
    [​IMG]

This is an S10 tail housing:
    [​IMG]
    The shifter boss is all but on the parting line.

Ziggster likes this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is mine. Shifter rearward on the tail shaft. S10, 2 wheel drive, electronic speedo output.
    upload_2018-12-6_22-43-47.png
    And this is her tag number
    upload_2018-12-6_22-45-25.png
    And her she is popping through the floor in my 34. All quite proper.
    upload_2018-12-6_22-47-36.png

20. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

A bit off base but I used a TKO500 on a 34 cabriolet and after hassles with speedo gears, cable routing, and tire size changes I went with a gps speedometer and wondered why I had put up with the mechanical/electronic crap for so long.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

I used a Dakota Digital ECD-100, with my T56, to drive the stock speedometer.

One-button calibration.

22. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

The following is a warning about Jegs / Intellitronix GPS modules (application is OT)

My semi-OT 1962 Volvo 544 uses an Jegs digital dash (Intellitronix branded parts). The GPS is worthless below 20 MPH. I marked my tach for 15 MPH school zones. And the GPS was v-e-r-y slow to react to speed changes. Last weekend, I removed the GPS module and converted it to driveshaft magnets (left over aftermarket cruise control parts). I got it working (One-button calibration), but, the low speed readings seem to be still be unstable - maybe I'll get back to it this weekend...

Also the oil pressure gauge readings go non-linear below 20 PSI and read ZERO once the oil pressure is below 8 PSI.

23. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Do what is in my Mustang FR500C race car.
    They welded a Tee pivot onto the original shift lever, then used a "Dogbone" to move the shifter rearward.
    The remote shifter is pivoted in a Spherical bearing

This is all Factory from Ford/ Multimatic and shifts positive FR500C shifter.jpg

Ziggster and Frankie47 like this.
  24. Ziggster

Ziggster

Good to know. That is a good distance to move a shifter sideways.

25. Ziggster

Ziggster

Good to know. I guess he didn't know what he had.

26. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Thanks Gimpy for your input. I figured that Safari shifter must have some oem application. If turned sideways it could work for me, without having to fab something. Just re-orientate the mounting holes.

27. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Similar to what I envisioned but with a spherical bearing for the rear pivot. What is meant by a Tee pivot?

28. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I have an iroc trans and need the S10 stuff! Wanna swap tail shafts and fork covers? I'd pay shipping! Lol

29. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I'll send a pm

30. 18n57

18n57

I believe that is a Chevy Astro van shift mechanism for a T5..

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app