Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I need a crank pulley shoehorn

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pothole, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Pothole

Pothole

Folks, I know many have done this but I am struggling with it. Inserting a 1948(59ab) flathead in a 1931 model A. I can't get all the pulleys to cooperate. The generator, water pumps, fan, and crank pulley. The generator is native to the 59ab as are the water pumps but I don't think the fan is. I have three crank pulleys of which none line up. The one on the left works best (its from a 59ab) but it stick out and doesn't give me the space I need for an engine fit into a Model A. Can someone recommend a workable solution of crank pulley and fan? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    59ab .jpg 59ab 2.jpg 59ab 3.jpg

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You have one of the '49-53 types of generator, I think pickup. You need a '42-8 crank pulley. (I think that's what the white one is...see if it aligns with pumps)...
    Use your white pulley and existing pumps, get early generator and either '42-8 fan or a '39 type fan to allow shorter motor.
    '42-8 pulley will work your pumps, and needs a '42-8 fan assembly to align with the outer sheave of the pulley.
    This may be about as bad as the late setup for fitting into a model A...better to use single sheave early crank pulley (or just don't use outer sheave of '42-8 or ignore the fan flange of '40-41 pulley) and use a pre-'49 generator with a fan mounted pulley. The other 2 crank pulleys are both late and are useless unless you convert everything to late style, making the longest possible flathead.

302GMC and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. I just went through this, or at least similar. I'm running an 8BA in my '31 Model A so there are some differences. I'm running a Powergen alternator that looks similar to a generator. I removed the stock pulley and replaced it with a pulley/fan mount adapter from Speedway. For the bottom crank pulley I used the middle one in your photo and removed the front sheave (stamped steel, not cast; the cast ones crack if you try to mess with them). Truck water pumps and a single 5/8" fan belt sourced from TSC, they sell fan belts in 1" length increments so I went in with my handy measuring rope and held it up against a couple until I found one that worked. Keep in mind that all my pulleys and water pumps are wide belt, but I assume the principal should be the same with the narrow belt water pumps. Even with the longer 8BA, stock rad location and not relieving the firewall I've got close to 1" clearance at the rad. edit: I also had to relieve the front cross member slightly to get the crank pulley on.

Your results may vary.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  4. Pothole

Pothole

Bruce please excuse my ignorance but is a 42-8 - 1942-V8? I tried searching for a 42-8 and didn't come up with anything. Please advise.

5. Pothole

Pothole

Big A,
    Could I get from you the "pulley/fan mount adapter from Speedway" part number so I can check it out.
    Thanks

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The stuff I refer to fit Ford V8's of those years, including the '46-8 59A's. They would have been listed under '42 part numbers, but that's irrelevant now.
    For single sheave setup, you want '39 type generator pulley and either '39 crank pulley or '40-41 or '42-8 crank pulley with the outer sheave not used.
    For double sheave, '42-8 crank pulley and '42-8 fan assembly. You have a pile of parts that do not really relate right now.

To expand...with manner adapting of pumps all the front end stuff interchanges in related groups on any flathead '39-48. In general you want to stay with the early for an A-V8 because the late stuff makes a longest total engine package.
    Neatest package is '39 crank pulley and fan arrangement.
    The late setups start by moving water pump belt forward an inch...no point at all in going there since you already have the better (for early cars) early setup. A-v8's do not need a longer engine.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Pothole

Pothole

Thanks Bruce, now I get it. I'll start working toward that "short" engine. For some reason I wasn't reading 42-8 as 1942-1948, I was thinking 1942 V8. Must be because my granddaughter is getting married tomorrow.

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I trimmed the flange off the back of the crossmember, machined the front pulley off the crank pulley, used 50's truck water pumps and mounted a fan on the alternator pulley with a 37 generator pulley. That allowed me to run a single belt and put the fan about 1 1/2 from the radiator.

Attached Files:

9. ydopen

ydopen

B910870F-6CB1-4F00-93E5-70A598F18DAC.jpeg 09C7E104-E4DA-4270-B9AD-BCE26CCB54F7.jpeg This is the parts Bruce discussed.

John

cactus1 likes this.
  10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That setup is about as short as you can reasonably get on a flathead. It'll all go onto a '49-up engine too if you use earlier cam. Late pumps give up enough space that they might be a problem in a tight engine compartment, plus there isn't any easy and cheap hotrod distributor choice for the late setup.