Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need a backup light!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2Loose, Oct 21, 2012.

1. 2Loose

2Loose

I need a backup light!

Now that the "gasser" if finished (sorta, are they ever finished???) I am driving it every day.

Fri I was at our usual "Fender Friday" lean session, beers and BBQ at the usual place, and drove the gasser home about 10 o da clock, and tried to back into my usual spot, which means across about 100' of dark lawn and missing two trees and a concrete retaining wall, and finally missing my wife's car in the carport, the narrow spot between her car on the right and my Harley on the left. I did it, amazing as I did have a couple beers in me, but still, I gotta put some backup lites in that beast!

Today I drove it down to the track and did some test and tune, not at all satisfying, but that's another subject I will "report" on, but again I had to back in tonight in the dark and said to myself: "Self, put those %&*$# backup lites in!"....

My preference is to hide 'em, like some kind of flip down from under the rear bumper and light up the way when I flip the switch on the dash (yes, I put one in when drilling a buncha holes for toggles....) (and there is a wire run back to the trunk for just that....), but don't have any ideas of what to use that might do that deed!

Hmmmmm.....

Any ideas out there?
    Willy

2. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Maybe a single round light say 3'' under the right rear side of the bumper???

3. didn't Toyota have a headlight bucket that actually rolled the light to an open or closed position with some small actuators ? thinking it was on a Celica.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A single light will do. I have a couple old-style backup lights in the parts pile. I think they're an old aftermarket add-on...kind of art-deco looking. A 3" round clear glass lens in a chrome teardrop-shaped bucket, with an arm and mounting pad. Typical of what cars used that didn't come equipped with backup lights. I think they're still produced.

But if you don't care for another bump on the car, maybe mount one headlight tucked up underneath the rear of the car, out of sight. A headlight would be bright enough, that it wouldn't have to depend on direct lighting. Maybe something that already has its own bucket...motorcycle or hot rod headlight.

5. henry29

henry29

Why not just fix the original backup lights?

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

In 1967, VW added a set of backup lights to the rear bumper. They were the simple bolt on type but they are very effective. :) They were 12 volt.

Reasonable to purchase also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They are one year ... 1967 only. In 68, the backup light was added to the rear taillight.