Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I need a 727 slip yoke & got ?`s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Sep 12, 2019.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I need to find a standard 727 slip yoke as title states but I have a couple questions for any trans guru's.

First I see it listed as a 29 spline but also a 30 spline elsewhere, I take it that it's the same yoke. I'm assuming one measures the trans shaft and the other the yoke side. Is that correct?

Second I've read several posts else where that a lot of these "universal" style 727 yokes don't actually fit due to spline angles being different for the newer style trans.

So anyone able to yeah or nay any of the above before I start looking for a slip yoke to buy?

Thanks gents,

2. It is late and dark out.side ......maybe find an answer over at a Mopar site.....good luck.....

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Mopar used a couple different yoke sizes what size do you need?

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

This is my first mopar experience so at this point I can say for certainty, it's a 1975 727, the o.d. of the yoke tube is 1.68 and it's 29/30 spline.

That pretty much ends my knowledge at this point other than I guess all 727`s used the same style yokes, when you get into the over drive trans they look and measure close to the same but the spline angle is different.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

There are three different size u-joints Mopar used with a 727 trans.
    There is a big heavy duty u-joint used with a Hemi drive train and a Dana rear axle.
    Then there is what most Mopar guys call a large ujoint, that is actually slightly smaller then the Hemi joint, but is the big joint used in most "normal" applications.
    Then there is the small u-joint used in the lighter duty applications.
    I've been around Mopars all my life and have never heard of the different spline sizes, I've not ever see a 727 yoke that didn't fit in any other 727.
    The yoke you are seeking will depend on the size of the u-joint you need to match up with your drive shaft.

Once Mopar got into the OD transmissions, lots of stuff changed. Gene

7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks gents,

Thank you gene for the info, I learned more in your post then running thru numerous forum posts elsewhere.

I don't have a drive shaft yet, plan was to find a yoke, then build a drive shaft to fit. No old junk yards around my area anymore.

If I had a choice I'd go with any yoke but the small joint. I doubt I'd need the hemi joint in my model A.

Again greatly appreciate the information.

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Anyone one on the spline angle difference ?

In fact it was one of the 30 spline yokes off of Dennys website that didn't properly fit the 727 it was advertised for. Down side is the poster didn't mention which 30 spline yoke it was. He posted pics and the was a definite difference in spline angles between the new replacement and an original yoke.

Haven't found anything info if the 727 yoke crossed to any other trans or vise versa.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Funny thing, I have a 727 with a slip yoke.

I was in need of a Chevy T5 yoke (still am) found a guy selling two at the last swap meet so I bought them both.

Neither fit the T5.... but can you guess what they do fit?

The 727... that I already have a yoke for... :confused:

Now I have three 727 slip yokes... o_O

If you have a Chevy TH350, T10, T5 yoke I’ll swap you! :D