Register now to get rid of these ads!

I miss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5559, Dec 25, 2012.

1. 5559

from tn

I miss the days of $0.35 gas -$100 -model t--&--$300 55 chevys & my pop. I guess i should feel lucky to have known them all-----Merry Christmas everyone

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may seem a bit odd to some but my hour of work at the Safeway store when I was 18 bought the same amount of gas that an 18 year old can buy with his hour of work in the same store now 48 years later. Inflation did hit the Model T's and 55 Chevys way more though.

3. yeah, i miss my father too...i was just thinking about him last night,. he has been gone 24 years

i remember a friend buying a `57 Chevy 2-door post for $900 and driving it home , i thought he was nuts and paid way too much. i guess there has been slight rise in their value

4. carryallman

carryallman

i remember in the 60s we had a 57 chevy we took the power pack 4 barrel motor out of ! couldnt sell the rest of car /so we towed it to a junk yard one evening after they closed and left it ! 4 door hardtop/wonder bar radio /cont kit/calif frame and bumpers ! it had a wierd air box on side of motor and firewall ?{ air cond} didnt realize it had a posi till i went back there a few weeks later ! it came out of our disposed car ! i paid $ 50.00 for that! didnt have the heart to tell the junk yard owner i was buying my rear end back!!!! them were the days !!

5. I still miss my ex wife,

" I know, I know - breath in and squeeze - don't pull ".

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  6. A time for reflection eh? Yeah, I miss buying tri five Chevys in running condition for as litte as hundred bucks. Bought a 56 F100 for $75, drove it awhile and swapped even for a 67 Fairlane. But like Mr48chev stated, the value of the dollar is so much lower now that in reality a lot of things are still about as valuable as they were.
    Still, I miss the old days. The culture of the times was better in my opinion. Things I liked were so much more available. Not so much now.

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

First Christmas after losing my Mother and yes I miss her. In a better place now and her Angel is watching.

8. Budro35

Budro35

Miss my parents most of all! All of you that still have your Mom's & Dad's pick up the phone and tell them you love them!! Merry Christmas to all!!

9. We all have emotional times during the holiday season as we get older,,for most of us it's Christmas past that reminds us of happy times,family,friends or the memory's as bright eyed children.

My family struggled when I was young but my parents did what they could to insure my sister & I knew the true meaning of Christmas and make sure we were feed and educated.

Some of my fondest memories as a kid was books under the tree along with a toy here and there.

Now,my parents are gone and I am the granddaddy and Brenda and I are the ones who try to give our family memories they will cherish long after we are gone. HRP

10. lawman

lawman

I miss all of the above except I have not had a ex-wife yet !!!!

11. Glad to hear that lawman, I don't wish divorce on my worst enemy. It's true what they say, even when you are not the one who did wrong, " Life is Grand...............Divorce.....a hundred Grand$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ "

12. I hear ya man. My mom's funeral was 5 days ago. Tough but I'm enjoying today with my ten year old daughter

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

46 years ago i worked at Kroger (same union) while in college 7.00 an hour on sundays part time gas .035 ...do the math

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I miss the days when kids could go to school and their biggest worry was how they were going to tell the teacher they forgot to do their homework.

I miss the days when kids could safely speak to neighbors and strangers.

I miss the days when you could get on a commercial airliner and didn't have to have every cavity in your body searched.

I miss the days when we didn't even know where our front door key was.

I miss the days when the worst that happened to people was a fist fight, when no one would have thought of shooting another person for almost any reason.

I miss the days when we got out of high school and knew there would be a job for us somewhere, all we had to do was look.

I guess I just miss the old days, period. :(

Don

15. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I was making $1.65 hr. in '71 at Burger Chef, gas was about .29 ct./gal I had a Honda 160 and could ride all week for a couple bucks in gas. Got a job installing furnaces for $2.50 hr...didn't know what I was gonna do with $100 a week. I miss the days of the neighborhood kids pushing $50 Model A's around to start them and the hoodlums that lived around the block pushing their 1930's Harleys around to try to get them started. Good old days indeed.

16. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

$1.49 three in one AMT model car kits at the Rexall drug store.

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

My hair and being able to see my........FEET.:rolleyes::D

18. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

I wish I had an ex to miss....My current wife wont leave.....lol

My 55 I got for free......I do miss it

I dont miss working for the wages I did back then....Oh wait, I work for $12/hr driving for NAPA part time........its fun though

19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Bought this for $600. in 68 and sold it for $1200 in 69 after the addition of a 4 speed, 4.88 gears and a Vertex magneto. It had a 283 in it. Got a call from my "Uncle Sam" so I didn't have the brains to just park it.

Pat, 1st. Cav. Viet Nam

Attached Files:

20. Paper routes run by the local kid that deserved a tip at Christmas - same kids wanted to earn money pulling weeds an mowing lawns, washing cars and cleaning gutters.
    Calling my friends parents Mr and Mrs Ratto. Playing army in their yard and in their basement with all their six kids - using Mr Rattos WW2 helmets and his ww1 trench knives -- noone got hurt cause we weren't stupid.
    Going to the dump
    Matchbox Cars in an epic way
    Bicycle rides in the hills now called open space

21. BAREOOT

BAREOOT
    from CALIFORNIA

Lost my mom in june, these holidays are tough. Make sure you all tell your folks how much you love them.

As for ex wives go, yea she is gone took the dog with her damm i sure do miss that dog.
    Foot

22. Don.... you nailed it!!

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

$7 in '66, you must have been the district manager.:D

I miss the days when a kid felt safe, unless he stayed out past curfew.;)

24. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I don't miss having to get up walk over to the TV to change the channel. Or having only 3 channels with nuttin on... :D

25. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Now we have 100+ channels, and still nothing is on.

I miss my son.

26. 50styleline

50styleline

Lost both of my parents way too soon,,,,,,,miss them dearly,but i have been blessed by an awesome wife and two great kids. In my son's letter to Santa he asked for shoes for his Mom and car parts for me. Santa brought me a tranny crossmember for a swap that's gonna happen in my 50 styleline soon. Life is grand and my blessings get counted daily.

27. i miss those days also that the original poster speaks of and i wasnt around to know them when they happened

28. Muttley

Muttley

All my relatives on Mom's side of the family, she was the last one and passed away at age 53 in 2005. My Stepdad David.............I couldnt stand him while I was growing up (he and Mom married in '82 when I was 9) but looking back now he really was a good guy. I really, really miss my Daughter even though she lives with me.............she's hardly ever here..............and at 16 years old all of a sudden I'm not cool enough to hang out with anymore. Living in Orange County................I've been in the Fresno area since age 13 (1986) and it still doesnt feel like home.