Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I miss that old sound

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jc555247, Feb 9, 2009.

1. jc555247

jc555247

I have a Ford 289 out of a low milage 65 Fairlaine and I want to install an after market cam with a lift and sound that is as close to what we used to call a 3/4 race, and I want to install dual exhausts with Smittys. Does anyone know what cam I should use and should I have the heads milled to bring up the compression. The engine is oging into a high boy I am building.:cool:

2. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Comp Cams makes a Thumpr. Maybe spend a few hours reading. Type 'SBF cam' in the search box at the top of the page, read on.
    Good Luck.

Lucky667

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Do you know what compression your engine is now? If it's about 9.2 compression or higher it should run just fine with that cam. But if you're after that unique high compression sound it should be over 10:1. probably pushing 11.

A big part of old sound is small pipes, so might wanna factor that into the equation.

good luck

4. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

A. That ain't the proper way to select the cam your engine needs.

B. Use a factory 289 HiPo mechanical lifter cam. Several companies make them. Shop around and you can find one dirt cheap (around $60). They are a good cam, to start with, for a mild 289, and you won't find a better, "old time" sounding cam at any price for a 289.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009

5. Thumpers have a great sound a buddy of mine is running one. Not too expensive either.