Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I may have a problem. Olds 303

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jjjmm56, Dec 29, 2016.

1. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Cleaning the block I found a void in the oil supply toward the front of the motor. I tried to get a wire through the hole but can't. I'm thinking of making a sleeve to press in and redrill for the cam oil passage . Anyone see this before . [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's cross drilled is what I believe is stopping you. Do a search before making any mod's.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It is difficult finding the oil system for the 303 and 324. But the Caddy's of the same era are close to use as a visual. Are you sure a plug isn't what's needed and not a sleeve ? Also, if the cam bearing where not there you would have access to cleaning those oil galleys a lot easier. [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  4. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

The void is toward the water jacket , I'm worried about a pin hole leaking water into my oil supply. I can predrill the cam oil passage or I think there is a passage that leads to the front main. I'm cleaning the block getting ready to assemble the lower end.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Maybe you should have the block pressure tested, or figure out a way to do it. That is a real PITA because it's relatively difficult to access.

6. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Good Catch.......+1 on the pressure test

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Can you access the back side from the water jacket side? I havent done this myself, but if you can get at the backside with a thin syringe or something, you can try applying a vacuum to the oil passage side and squirting some wicking grade lock-tite in from the back. I haven't done it myself, but I know someone who ground into some porosity grinding for rod clearance and did this, and I have read about other guys doing this on speedtalk. It will only seal pinholes, but reports are that it will work.
    I realize pressure testing an olds block is not that easy, but I think that's really what you have to do first. Any fix is complicated and fiddly, so I would make sure that there IS a problem in the first place, before I went looking for a way to fix a problem that might not be a problem.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Goodson seal-all would work too, and cures with heat. You would want to apply a vacuum to the oil side to draw it in, then apply heat.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There's a hole in my vision and comprehension. Missed the word "void". :( That changes everything. Good thing others read betterer.

10. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I'm going to install the freeze plugs in the side and make plugs for the other holes. Then apply air to see if it leaks. If I have to I can fill the void with expoy and press a sleeve into the oil supply passage. I will most likely do that anyway to eliminate future problems.

loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  11. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I also think I'll bring a bore scope home to get a better look from inside the water jacket

loudbang and falcongeorge like this.