Register now to get rid of these ads!

I made some shinny stuff today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tysond, May 10, 2006.

1. tysond

tysond

I had a bit of spare time today, so i jumped on the lathe.
    Luke had been telling me about how his hand brake lever in his 63 chev sucked, so I made a new one for him (presuming he likes it).
    Life would have been a bit easier if I had started with a bit of round stock, but seeing as we hardly ever use aluminium at work I had to go buy some, and I didn't want a whole length. I just bought what ever would do the job from the scrap bin. I turned it to size, with a 1 degree taper, then put it on the Mill in an indexing head and put the two grub screw holes in at 120 degrees. Next I used a 6mm ball nose cutter and put the grooves in. I can think of a few easier ways of doing it now. But it came out good. I quick polish and shes done.

[​IMG]

2. evilgenius

evilgenius

how good would that look painted or powdercoated, with the 'fins' left a bright polished look...? fuckin rad, is what it'd be.

3. Bert

Bert

I thought that receipt looked familiar.Melb eh?............handle looks good, personally, Id make it a bit more cheese like and attack it with a drill a few more times...but still looks great........Aluminium is nice and easy to work with...I miss my lathe:( ....gotta dig it out and set it up.......where would I get one of those bullnose cutters Tyson?.....I need to find some decent cutting tools............cheers, Bert

4. Rusty

Rusty

I love shiny stuff !! Cool make

5. tysond

tysond

Bert I got all of mine off of the CNC guys at work. They aren't sharp enough to cut through hardened stainless steel, but plenty sharp for aluminium. You could try Blackwoods. They have a good colection. But if you're going to use a lathe just make a form cutter from HSS.

6. hemifarris

hemifarris

Very nice workmanship......

7. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Yeah cant wait to try it on tomorow night, gonna look sweet. Bert if you need some material to make cutting tools let us know, we'll get it from tafe. I might even have a couple that I made which you can have...
    I'll post some pics saturday of the handbrake if she goes on alright :D

8. Nice work Tyson. Guess you better keep going who knows what else you can come up with...

9. tysond

tysond

I have got another idea in my head for next weeks adventure Devilrod. But for now I'll keep it to myself.

10. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Here it is in the car, works great! Now make me some more stuff :D

[​IMG]

11. Bert

Bert

sorry guys , forgot about this post and been workin my ass of....anyway, cheers for the info and Nekronomicon63,thanks for the offer:D see if you can score a parting tool and a knewling tool...I will pay ;) .bert