Register now to get rid of these ads!

I lost my Son Cody and my HAMB family needs to hear my thoughts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, Jan 21, 2008.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

[​IMG]

To Ryan,Marcy and my HAMB family:
    My wife Jennifer and I were woke by the phone at 12:20 AM January 10<SUP>th </SUP>, Jennifer always hits the floor before the first ring is done and she answers the phone……. A few moments of silence, then the most horrific screams I’ve ever heard come from her, she grabs me by the shoulders and with tears flowing down her face she sobs…. That was Nicole, (my oldest son’s fiancée), ‘Cody’s dead’!

My body immediately began to shake uncontrollably as I rambled the words, “No, no, no way…not my son”!

We quickly dressed, and got into the car…..out into the foggy night….I couldn’t stop shaking …..The 20 mile drive to his house seemed to take hours ….as we pulled around the corner onto his street, there sat a Florida Highway Patrol car in front of his home….
    My heart sank to a low that I have never experienced before in my 51 years on this earth.
    We ran from the car into the house, were we found Nicole and the officer……it was true.
    <O:p
    It happened at 9:00PM, on his way home from his car club meet in Tampa….in his new Mazda Speed3…his car touch a Lincoln in the rear quarter in the fog when he attempted to pass, which sent his car out of control, airborne over an embankment, hitting a palm tree on his roof. He was only 3 miles from home.
    <O:p[​IMG]</O:p
    25 years, ….. My mind goes from high speed to pause, back and forth, my head is throbbing….my emotions are out of control…..this cannot be true. He was the most conscientious driver, safe, courteous, no way, not my Cody!

[​IMG]
    Jennifer and Nicole had just completed the arrangements for Cody and Nicole’s wedding on a Cruise Ship for our family on Tuesday!
    <O:p[​IMG]</O:p
    The last 12 days of our lives have been devastating, my other 2 sons, Casey and Cort, my wife Jennifer, Nicole, ……our families, our hearts are broken so badly…will the pain ever stop? I feel so empty inside, my son, my buddy, my helper, my Son !
    If it were not for the 200+ friends that were at his funeral and most at my home afterwards, all of his Mazda Car Club brothers and sisters, all of my Poor Boy brothers and sisters, the out pouring of compassion from my extended family here on the HAMB and around the world, the uncountable phone calls, Andrew (Drewfus) called me from Australia , the emails, PM’s, the beautiful flowers, plants, cards and letters…..if not for it all, I don’t think I would have the strength to write to you today.
    </O:p
    I want each and every one of you to know that the appreciation and love that my family is receiving from you is what has given us strength. Please don’t stop, we still need to hear from you in the days, and weeks to come.
    I always have told my sons and wife that I love them every time I see and talk to them, and I want you to do the same.
    [​IMG]
    Cody was 25 years old, a true all American, clean cut, hard working young man. His smile was infectious, always happy,and a Iowa State Graduate. I helped him get his 1<SUP>st</SUP> home about 14 months ago, he was so proud to have become a home owner and to have his own garage to work on his Mazda’s in. He loved our old HotRods, he was born into it, he traveled thousands of miles in my old Model A’s and roadsters over the years. We were working on plans to build him one of his own in the near future. His passion for life and sports cars were immeasurable .

I miss you so much my son !

[​IMG]

OneRustedDodge likes this.
  2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

There's no words from this parent & son that can even begin to realize your pain. Stay strong, live with the good memories that you did a good job as a parent and still had a good relationship to the end (some do not by that age). Do not let your other kids be overlooked by your sorrow- they need you now more than ever. Best wishes, Jim

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

oh my god..im so sorry..the loss of a child has got to be so devistating..my love and prayers go out to you , your family and your extended family..hang in there..the rest of your family needs you.

4. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

God bless you and your family.

5. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Glenn,

I can not imagine the loss and emptiness you must be felling from the loss of your son Cody.

Please remember, that you, your family, Cody's fiance', and all who called Cody a friend, are in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless All of You.

6. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Prayers for you and you Family.

God Bless,

John

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can only imagine the pain and grief you're feeling. Nothing I or anyone else can say, could possible asuage that pain, but know that we're all praying for you and your family with the hope that things will get easier as time goes by. Cody will always be close to you, his memory in your heart forever. God bless you all.

8. damnfingers

damnfingers

That's terrible...my prayers are with you, your family, and Cody.

9. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Words can't do justice to what you are fealing right now, But my Heart goes out to you.I lost my son 21 years ago he was 6 days old, I never got to experience the GREAT times that you and Cody shared, they will live in your HEART FOR EVER.GOD BLESS.

10. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Jim,
    As a father of five kids my heart goes out to you. Prayers said for you & your family.

11. 31whitey

31whitey

man

rember the good times

be proud that you guys had a good relationship

god bless you all in your time of need

12. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Very Sorry! Thats all I can say..

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Glenn,
    Your family will be in my prayers for a long time to come.
    I too had the middle of the night call that we all as parents have nightmares about. It took alot of fortitude for you to write that. I know.
    I'm glad to see you're communicating... thats a step in the right direction.
    I am so sorry that your family is ripped apart.
    Don't forget what I said in my letter to you regarding marriage.. This is your next hurdle. Please let me know if theres anything I can do.. talk you name it.
    Rick

14. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

15. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Glenn, you are in my thoughts and prayers every day since the viewing. I still can not imagine what you and your family are going through.
    All I can say, if you need anything, I am a phone call away and I know the Poor Boys of Florida are there for you also.

16. Glenn, your sorrow is unimaginable to most of us that have never experienced such loss. Keep your wife and other sons and Cody's fiance all close to you. Time has a way of making things less painful, not better, but less painful. We are here to help you out, just ask.

17. I'm so sorry, we'll pray for you and your family.

18. repoguy

repoguy

I'm speechless.

Incredibly sorry for your loss Glenn.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I remember hearing of your loss on the day after my birthday. I can't imagine what you are going through, nor will I even try. I can only think of how hard it would have been for my father to go through this if he had not passes last April. It would have devastated every inch of him. And thinking of this only give me a sliver of what it must be like. I do know one thing though. From your words it seemed that he was a stand up and caring young man, and the two of you had a very special bond. Someone like that could have been given a hundred years to live and it would not been enough for us. Know that he treasured every second that he had (which is apparent through his infectious smile) and that he will see you again. Build that Model A that the two of you had planned. It will help you cope with the loss while give you purpose as the loving father of Cody. God Bless.

20. Sorry to hear that. Prayers,
    Chili Phil

21. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

As a father with children near that age, I worry everytime the phone rings late at night. Your son and family is in our prayers.

God Speed.

22. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

God bless....

23. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Very sorry for your loss. Their is nothing worse in this world than loosing a child. A good friend of mine lost a son on a motorcycle accident 2 years ago, it takes time to heal.

24. Very saddenned to hear of the loss of your beloved son. Cherish the times you shared, no one can ever take that from you. It will get better. The next few weeks and months will be a true test of your faith, but remember, tough times dont last, tough people do. Would he want you to think of him and cry, or fondly remember him and smile? Always try to remember, someday, you will see him again.....

God Bless, Prayers sent........

James

25. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

My deepest, heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family.
    A truly sad loss.

26. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Damn it.... I cant even BEGIN to imagine whats going on in the family right now. Im so incredibly sorry for your loss.

Prayers and gratitude,

27. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

My son is a coal miner, and every day that he goes underground is hell for me. A parent should never have to bury thier child.....
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Stomry and I will keep you and your family in our prayers.

28. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I also lost a son about a year ago, so I know how you feel.

I have found some interesting things to be true. Many young men seem to meet an early end. I don't know if it is "risk taking" or testosterone, but I have many friends who lost sons, but have yet to meet anyone who has lost a daughter. I think it is an little-known fact of life.

It is a hard thing to deal with, since we all assume our children will outlive us. It's been over a year for us, and I am just starting to sleep through the night.

I hope some of this helps. I have had to accept that nobody is guaranteed any time here. Every day our children, or ourselves get is a gift. We have to be thankful for the time you had them in your life, and for the joys and successes they had. The story of their life is not incomplete, it's just different from our own. And lastly, I will offer this.....Your son is at peace, and wants your life to continue to be joyful. There is no need to feel guilty because you might find happiness. Your son would want that for you.

It will take a while, but life will be good again for you. I have even found a number of good things that have resulted from our loss,... because of the way it changes the people who knew him, felt the loss, and changed their own values, and priorities. Good luck.

29. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

They say time heals all wounds.........I cant imagine the loss of a child. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

30. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

man... I'm speechless. That was one of the hardest reads I've had in a long time...

:(