Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I lost my dad two weeks ago .... he left me his 37 Ford truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Aug 12, 2014.

1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

This photo shows my dad and me on July 6th, me and my fresh 32 5 window, him and his 26 T which he built in the 60s. Both green with black fenders. One a hot rod, the other bone stock. I gave him a ride in the Deuce that day, and he truly enjoyed it.

[​IMG]

A week later he was diagnosed with cancer everywhere. He went to hospice. He came home for one day to supervise his 6 sons changing the tires on his T. To our surprise he passed the following day, July 30th. Appropriately it was Henry Ford's birthday. He lived a full and good life until a few weeks shy of his 86th birthday. He was the car guy we all went to for advice. He will be missed.

I will cherish this photo forever......

Three days prior to his passing, he had gave his six cars to his six sons. I ended up with his bone stock 37 Ford truck running an 8BA flattie. Not sure of the plans, but will probably leave it alone for now other than tribute graphics on the doors. He also had a bone stock 26T and 55 Ford Sedan that he made sure I did not get ... I guess I have a reputation of cutting cars up. He did tell me that he would be OK with me changing the old truck. :)

[​IMG]

I have been driving the wheels off of it. It seems to run well. Gets looks wherever I go :) I am very blessed to have his truck.

Thanks dad ... we shall meet again someday !

hot-rod 33, KUSTOM 50, enloe and 9 others like this.
  2. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

sorry for your losss man. remember to good times, and give thanks to his influences and knowledge he gave you

Bubba1955 likes this.
  3. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Sorry to hear of his passing. Beautiful truck. Don't change a thing!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Bubba1955 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. camerl2009

camerl2009

sorry for your loss. id leave it the way your dad had it

Bubba1955 and volvobrynk like this.

5. jodell

jodell
    from Irvine, CA

Sorry for your loss. I agree, keep the truck the way it is. Plenty of other cars to cut up and improve. Dive the wheels off that truck.

Jeff

Bubba1955 likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to you, your Brothers and all of the Family. the truck is beautiful.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sorry for your loss man good that you can carry the torch now.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  8. great way to remember him by!

Bubba1955 likes this.
  9. luckystiff

luckystiff

sorry for your loss but it looks like you come from good stock. they don't make 'em like guys from his era any more. sounds like he dida good job of passing the torch on to yall...

Bubba1955 likes this.
  10. Sorry to hear about your Dad. Good that he lived so long and didn't suffer/linger for a long time.

I love those pickups- funny how the old folks protect the cars from hot rodders, but see pickups as fair game. Not the first I've seen that.

Posted using my chicken and 2 cigs

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Good looking picture man. Your dad, obviously loved his time spent doing the same with you. It sure isn't easy to move on after something like that. Nothing is the same.....but keep your chin up knowing how lucky you are. Not every man has the benefit of having his father as his best friend. Sad that more people don't know so. God bless you and your dad. Take care.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  12. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I would not change a thing on this truck. You will always think of your dad when you look at your truck and especially when you drive it. This may be the greatest memory your your day you will ever have. Keep his memory alive. Don't change a thing.

clem likes this.
  13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Condolances to you and your family!

If your dad said that it's okay too change it, do what you find nice af tastefull.

But as long as you bolt it on, it can be reversed!

But damn, your rod looks good! You dads car looks good. But god damn, thats a nice and un-harmed truck!
    Dosen't look like it's been beaten and broken.
    Is there a good storie about it, did your dad restore it?

14. urbanriot

urbanriot

It gets easier with time. Best wishes to you and the family.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  15. Sorry for your loss.

16. So sorry for your loss, maybe all of us fortunate enough to still have our parents around should give them a call today, tomorrow is never guaranteed.

volvobrynk and Bubba1955 like this.
  17. Searcher

Searcher

Condolances to you and your family ...........

18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So sorry for your loss, he left you wonderful memories.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  19. Yes, cherish the photo, cherish the memories and cherish the great relationship...not everyone gets that blessing. Tim

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Speak of him often---it helps to make the memories more vivid. Sorry for your loss.

21. ...my condolences to you and your family; ...can we see the other cars your dad had?...
    sounds like a guy with great taste in cars.

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great story, picture, cars and great Dad and memories that carry on forever with his cars and trucks!

23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Sorry for your loss, you were lucky to have a Dad who loved old cars.

24. Hey..Sorry for your loss. It's great that you have some memories to keep with you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. belair

belair

I'm glad you and your dad loved each other. I will be in your shoes sooner than later. He left you some neat stuff, and lot of treasures. I'm glad you know the difference. Condolences.

26. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sorry for your loss. Great story and you will remember the last days enjoying the cars together forever.

27. Sorry for your loss, but glad your dad didn't have to suffer long.

I love the truck as it is. About the only change I would be able to make to the truck would be a stance adjustment. It's what I did with my stake truck, when I got it from my great-aunt.

28. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Sorry for your loss. No matter how old we get its always hard to lose your dad. Love the pic!

29. big57daddy

big57daddy

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss - but I bet he'll be riding shotgun with you every time you take that truck out.

30. No one knows a son like his father. Have fun with the truck

38fordpickup likes this.