Register now to get rid of these ads!

I like this guy's style....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McKee, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Janne

Janne

They don't sell Hot VW's in Finland:(

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I will head to the bookstore on my lunch and see if I can find it for you.

3. ryno

ryno

heres my two that steve gave to me when i meet him at pure vision when helping get "hammer" ready for SEMA afew yrs ago.great guy.

Attached Files:

4. Turbo442

Turbo442

Did you say "gave you"? You lucky SOB! His artwork alone is inspiration. I did see that VW mag and the designs were pretty cool.

5. Here's a couple of Stanford Originals. We've been friends for years. The Blue car should be finished in time for this years GNRS, it's being built for John Buck, the owner of the show
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a logo he did for my "Hobby Shop"
    [​IMG]

6. Here's another Steve Stanford original. We actually had this build cruising right along, but for a myriad of reasons it went on hold.
    [​IMG]

7. tmlittle

tmlittle

I believe he did a series in Classic truck or Custom Classic truck. Unfortunately he did a rendering of a 64-66 Chevy C-10 and Isearched my stack and cannot find it. If anyone out there can find that i would deeply appreciate it.

8. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

One of my favorites of Mr. Stanford's was a Plymouth Suburban done Cal -Look VW style, I think it was in the Feb. '91 R and C . He has also owned some nice rides, most OT for the Hamb.

9. Steve is also a pinstriper, and no doubt a very good one..

10. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Back from the dead... but so worth it for Steve's art!

Okay, so now that I've done my good deed... anyone have a scan of his blue and white early Nova from "How to Draw Cars Like a Pro," 2nd edition?

Attached Files:

11. What he said..

12. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Absolutely right! LOVE the asymmetrical louvers & frenched plate. Thanks for the scan McKee!

13. superleggera

superleggera

Not very HAMB-ish, but something pretty slinky looking via Steve and posted for others to think "outside the box".

[​IMG]

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Count me as another who has bought magazines simply because his artwork was inside. I'd be right near the front of the line for a coffee table book of his work.

15. codeblu

codeblu

I've always been a big fan of Mr. Stanford's work. I"ve often thought a large book featuring ALL the sketchpad work that has appeared in Hot Rod, Rod and Custom, and Car Craft..etc.,over the decades would be a great idea.

16. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Steve is the greatest Afro American artist to ever live. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the 2009 Santa Maria show. I told him he was always one of my idols. He told me to raise my standards. Great guy!

17. Stanford's sense of style and design is one of the greatest. If GM ever looked at his rendering of what the latest GTO should of looked like (retro bodylines with modern day flair), it would of been more of a success than just a glorified Holden.
    I'm surprized he wasn't considered to be a car designer for one of the big three (if you can still call them the big three)

18. Don's 55

Don's 55

A coffee table book of Steve's work would be an instant hit.
    Maybe some of you guys who are close to him should give Steve some encouragement.

19. Steve Stanford is NOT AN ARTIST!!! How can he be? He never went to art school!! I've been following Steve since I read a letter he wrote to one of the car mags back in '79 or '80 showing his art. He's one helluva self-taught pinstriper, sign painter, airbrusher, letterer and okay, he REALLY is the BESTEST artist on earth...and like many stripers/sign painters totally self-taught. Even though I'm just a lowly pinstriper, I still want to meet him...please!

YES! Do a book on Steve and also include his meaning of life, I'm sure that will be a painting we all should live by.

Mikey
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com
    "not Perfect, Just believable"

20. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Steve, Has definitely raised the bar for all guys who have penned a few cars. You can also find some of his work in Thom Taylor's "How to draw cars like a pro" 1&2 issues. This is a great book with a lot of great info for anyone who is very skilled or just learning.
    Steve put a lot of detail in not only the cars, but the backrounds. The Clock Drive in poster is very cool.

21. RDR

RDR

Got some of Steves' artwork through the Watson collection, met Steve at Paso and he is a really swell guy and car nut....I would love to purchase a table top book of his renderings !!! Get on it Steve and Thom Taylor, you've already got some sold on this thread !

22. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

and hes very photogenic

[​IMG]

23. JWM

JWM

Steve actually built this car ! I have told him on several occasions that a coffee table book and a how to book would be good sellers, but so far we will have to be content with what is published in the magazines....:)

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      89.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  24. 57283

I always liked everything I saw from him in R&C!

25. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

GOOD JESUS!!! HE'S NINE FREAKING FEET TALL!!!

dv

26. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Steve's been a good friend and fellow striper for several years . When I started building my roadster he's the first place that I went . He did a rendering for me that became the "blueprint" to build to, not an easy task. Wel after several years and lots of blood , sweat and $$$ , I finished the car and I gotta say that Steve was a big help throughout the build with his little "suggestions" here and there.

Attached Files:

27. knumb knuts

knumb knuts
    from tempe az

I'm glad this thread got pulled back to the top. I got to relive all the scans. He is truely talented and one of my inspirations.

I want a 2 large prints of the "cheese grater", one from the office and one for the garage!!!!

28. customcory

customcory

I always liked how he drew Buick wire wheels. Hes the best.:D

29. fat141

fat141

Dont know if it has been mentioned yet but I think he does some line work on the trunk of a Chevie in Pat Ganahl's DVD "HOT ROD Vol 1.
    Have his signature on my glove box door along with Bill Hines, Barris ,Gene Windfield,Pat Ganahl all done at Paso 2006. How's that for a keeper?
    Rod