Register now to get rid of these ads!

I like Rod & Custom. There I said it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommy, Dec 28, 2003.

1. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was reading C9's post...Magazine suggestions. I didn't want to muck up that one, so you can all scream at me here on this one and still list valid desires on his.

Let me offend some people.(I hope not)

Rod & Custom march 2004...

More nostaligia rods....What's on the cover??

More idea pages (photo shop stuff)...pg. 18 sure fits my criteria!

More tech...pg.28,29,30 pg42-43, pg.52-53
    pg56,57,58,59,61,62 pg68,69,70 pg72,73,74,76 (ok this one is an advertiser plug.) pg89,90,92

more build up...pg.44,45,46

more project cars...
    isn't that what Dan Kahn is doing with " Mt first roadster" series?

I don't care for the gold custom truck. I didn't when that style was new in the late 50's, but that's my personal taste. There isn't a car in the whole book that wouldn't be appreciated by most of the HAMBers. Not everyone will love every car but we don't agree here either.

I have to admit I've always been partial to R&C. Hot rod was mostly drag racing. Car craft seemed more of a custom car mag. Popular Hot rodding was drag stuff too.(I loved the many builds of the 57) R&C has always had hot rods. It must have been 30 years ago that they did the 29 flathead powered highboy nostalgia rod series. (I was honored to see that car in person at the L.A. Roadster show a few years ago)

I know there are magazine people on here. Sorry I'm not smart enough to know who writes for whom,( I hope that's proper english) so this isn't trying to flatter anybody. I just plain like what they are doing. I won't get off on every issue.

I read the list of wants and thought ..I just read about that and isn't Dan doing that? I leafed through it and wrote down what I saw.

We love to bitch...I just wanted to say thank you and please keep it up.

OK now you can scream at me. [​IMG]

2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

yep me too, they have lots more good tech happening these days.

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

I like Street Rod Builder. If you focus on the details it doesn't matter if the car is not a model you are interested in. Their coveragew of the Ridler '34 is a good example. While I think the raked style is old hat, I was planning a chrome beltline and it's nice to see visual confirmation.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Tommy, I couldn't agree with you more. I've always said if I can see just one thing in a magazine that I like it's worth the cover price. What did $5 at McDonalds get you? What did you gain from that last pack of smokes? How long did it take for the last 8 pack to get flushed down the toilet? Kind of makes a few bucks for a magazine seem like a wise investment.
    I've regreted each time R & C has been canceled and happy each time it has returned. My concern is that it might be happening again. HOPE NOT !!!

Frank

5. I gotta agree with you Tommy,,,I've been reading Rod & Custom long before they brought it back! December 1988,,,,,PREMIER ISSUE ! (again),,,,Yeah,it has had its ups and downs,,,,,like everyting else!

Every issue will not be everything for everybody,,,can't be!

I have had issues in the last year that made me think!,,,,
    Wow, thats a great idea and a few that made me want to puke!

My subscription will be renewed! HRP

6. Ron

Ron

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't care for the gold custom truck. I didn't when that style was new in the late 50's, but that's my personal taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not seen it but will take real customs where ever I can get them. I got the new R&P always cool, the new LeadNews always cool also(it helps with my car in it [​IMG])and the next one looks to be even better. I have prob only bought Super Rod twice but I bought the new. Has a three page pull out a black/white Merc(not really my style but nice car), and the flamed shoebox that was in TRJ on the other side.

7. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Yep! One of the three I get every month.
    I agree with you, Tommy.

Jim

8. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Used to buy it in the 50's with my allowance, got my first job in a drug store because I would be polite to the owner 'cause he had the only place in bike riding distance that carried it and I didn't want to get banned, I started learning pinstriping at 52 years old after reading Rick ("Remember the Dog!") Amado's article on Skratch entittled,"So You Want to be a Pinhead?"
    It isn't my favorite, but I still pick up most issues on the news stand or in the grocery store........

9. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

all right tommy! i'm with ya.....good read there man!

10. klazurfer

klazurfer

I`m with you too , R&C have had its ups n`downs through the years , but I have seldom found a issue without anything I liked . Or as Frank said :::"Tommy, I couldn't agree with you more. I've always said if I can see just one thing in a magazine that I like it's worth the cover price " ....Could not agree more [​IMG]

11. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

i didn't say i was giving up on it totally (at least i don't think i did) but the next couple of issues will be the factor that determines if i renew. if it continues to feel stripped down, it won't serve the purpose it did when i subscribed to what was a really cool magazine that i bought almost constantly at the newstand for two years before. i hope it stays cool, if not, i'll buy issues when they appeal to me like i used to.

12. SomethinWicked

SomethinWicked
    from York, PA

I have gotten a lot out of Rod n Custom lately. I especially liked the recent tutorial they did on front suspension options. Very well done for a guy like me who has only been around rods for a few years... I learned a lot. Hot Rod did something similar recently on carberators.

Chris

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I like the issue cover Livingston's car......

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

This seems to be a good issue. I really like the orange 32.. especially the tire and wheel choice (thou I wish i was not the generic chrome reverse wheels.. anyone run those rear tires. I like the look of them...

15. Me too!
    I've subscribed since "Too Tall" brought it back and though it's struggled a little for the last few years (too many changes of editors IMHO) its still the only one I get every month.
    Warbird

16. R&C is for the most part Excellent. I dont like the thought of Young Guns getting canned. I am young but not that young. I will keep buying it as well as SRM, Rodders Digest and my sub to TRJ.

17. I like it too. No one will ever like every car in any magizine. I think R&C tries real had to keep up with the times. Trends come and go so fast though I'm sure it's a strugle.

I'll Keep my sub as long as they keep putting out a magizine.

18. scarylarry

scarylarry

I love this place...piss and moan and bitch and cry about the sucky magazines, cars, rockstar car builders, and then a post like this. [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That IS the whole point of this post for me. All I hear is that the mags don't do this . That they should do that. I looked through the magazine and found everything that people are bitching about. I AM surprised at the number of positive comments.

I thought everyone hated everything. [​IMG]

20. bigron

bigron

i agree with hotrodprimer not every issue will be everything for everybody. i get rod & custom, street rodder and super chevy. what else you going to read anyway good housekeeping or people magazine so you can keep up with who's doing who or divorcing who?

21. R&C for president! It's my second-favorite..

22. [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't care for the gold custom truck. I didn't when that style was new in the late 50's, but that's my personal taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not seen it but will take real customs where ever I can get them. I got the new R&P always cool, the new LeadNews always cool also(it helps with my car in it [​IMG])and the next one looks to be even better. I have prob only bought Super Rod twice but I bought the new. Has a three page pull out a black/white Merc(not really my style but nice car), and the flamed shoebox that was in TRJ on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]
    LeadNews?? what is it and where can I get it?

23. seldom scene

seldom scene

I recently poked fun at Rods in Costume, but the same way as poking fun at an old friend. I really like Rod and Custom, they have been my favorite for many years and still are.

24. Ron

Ron

I got it today. The gold truck is more hotrod than custom to me. But I like the feature on the Livingston car. Some of the stuff from the past I liked was the Packard taillight install, Carson top article, and stuff like that.

Lead News is the mag from Custom Kemps Of Sweden. Always has cool customs the only draw back is it is in Swedish.

http://www.ckos.org/

25. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

R&C is vastly improved in the last year or two. A few years ago, you were lucky to see a custom somewhere in the background of an event coverage photo, now they actually feature them. AND the cars they feature look more and more traditional and less high-tech.

26. [ QUOTE ]
    I got it today. The gold truck is more hotrod than custom to me. But I like the feature on the Livingston car. Some of the stuff from the past I liked was the Packard taillight install, Carson top article, and stuff like that.

Lead News is the mag from Custom Kemps Of Sweden. Always has cool customs the only draw back is it is in Swedish.

http://www.ckos.org/

[/ QUOTE ]
    Those Swedes are serious! How much does it cost here in USA to receive the magazine? I love it! I'd like to see more of that Tangerine 57/58 Ford conv. on the mag cover in top row.